Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 10:32 AM
Clays390

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with what you are saying. The seems to be rhyme or reason to the parts selection on these bikes. Has to be the bean counters writing the spec sheets. On another note, has anyone determined the BB used on the Elite? I didn't look close when I was taking my test ride but it looks like a PF30 in the pics. I'm just trying to put together a parts list so i know what I'll need when I start the upgrade.
Old 03-15-18, 06:08 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Clays390
On another note, has anyone determined the BB used on the Elite?
The specs on the website lists the cranks as "square taper", and I think the frame itself uses an old school square taper bottom bracket. It'll be a sealed cartridge type that just threads in from one side (very likely the drive side), but I think it's just a standard square taper unit.
Old 03-15-18, 07:40 PM
Clays390

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation, my LBS website shows as 2016/2017 specs that must be for the 2016 model. Freewheel rear hub with cogs and PF30 BB. The Specialized website for 2018 lists the BSA BB and cassette hub. I can't find the 2017 specs anywhere. I went back the the store manager today to check as well. He said he actually pulled the rear wheel and put on a 10 speed cassette, also checked to make sure it had a screw in BB. Looks like it is a 3x8 with cable discs so an easy conversion to 3x9 or 2x10. Changing the wheel hub and converting a PF30 BB would put the cost at more than converting a Comp X1. I'm not afraid of the work involved, just trying to get to a 2x10 all Deore or SLX drive train the cheapest way.
Old 03-16-18, 12:00 AM
DCByton

Bikes: A herd of 6 Specialized bikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2017 roll elite

CHAIN KMC X8, 8-speed w/reusable MissingLink
BOTTOM BRACKET BSA, square taper, cartridge bearings
CRANKSET Stout, forged alloy
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Tourney, top swing, 31.8mm band clamp
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Altus, EZ Fire Plus, 8-speed
CASSETTE Sunrace, 8-speed, 11-34t
CHAINRINGS 48/38/28T w/chainguard
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, SGS cage

I think you would be better off going with the comp x1 and converting 1x10 to 2x10 (just my 2 cents) I'm thinking of doing the same thing . I just bought a Roll comp x1

you can find the specs on specialized web site at the bottom of the page under bike archive link
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...t=#result-list

Last edited by DCByton; 03-16-18 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 10:37 AM
Clays390

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and

I agree it would be easier to convert the Comp X1 than the Elite. You would still need a new BB, 2X crankset, front derailleur and cable. $150-200. Add that to the $850 starting price and you are over $1000. The 2017 Elite is on closeout at $569, add $300-350 for parts, still around $900. The only difference would be the hydraulic brakes. Not much difference in the bikes when finished.
Old 03-17-18, 10:29 AM
DCByton

Bikes: A herd of 6 Specialized bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see, only if you get a smoking deal on a 2017. The thought of that never entered my mind lol. my shop didn't have any closeouts tho. Any how it sounds like you have it covered.

What BB and crank set would you use ?
you use a out side bearing threaded type makes life easier requires new cranks

Last edited by DCByton; 03-27-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 02:28 PM
Clays390

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my case the options are to use the existing crankset and change the chain rings out to 10 speed 42t/32t's, which will be the cheapest. Or change out the BB/crankset to one that works with a Shimano 2X10. I don't pick up the bike till the 26th so I can't take a caliper to it to check. If you wish I will let you know when I'm sure. You can probably just get a set of 3X10 cranks to use the existing square taper BB you have. Then you will need 10 speed chain rings of your choice. I will change both front and rear derailleurs and shifters to Deore or SXT. You just need the front setup and you are golden.
Old 03-20-18, 06:07 PM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What option is preferred over a freewheel?
Old 03-21-18, 12:49 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Salty Pete
What option is preferred over a freewheel?
A freehub. Related info on sheldonbrown.com.
Old 03-21-18, 12:52 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
A freehub. Related info on sheldonbrown.com.
Thank you. Very informative.
Old 05-08-18, 08:04 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Looking at the 2018 comp X 1. Low entry. 69 years old and really having trouble getting my leg over my Surly Disc Trucker. Thinking the low entry might be an option. Thoughts ?
Old 05-26-18, 10:02 AM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJH
Looking at the 2018 comp X 1. Low entry. 69 years old and really having trouble getting my leg over my Surly Disc Trucker. Thinking the low entry might be an option. Thoughts ?
Just went shopping for a Roll today. The big difference (for me) between the leg-over and the step-through is that the latter has a wheelbase that is 10 mm shorter (on the Large frames), and the seat is 10 mm closer to the stem. For me, this makes it a bit more likely that my foot will hit the front wheel.

I found that swinging my leg up from the back on the diamond frame did not present any problems, and dismounting was similarly straightforward.

As always, your mileage may vary, offer void in states with active consumer fraud statutes, patent pending.

Old 06-04-18, 05:05 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I probably should have clarified - I was speaking about no one complaining about the bike.

BTW, speaking of complaints, there was at least one recall on some Roll models. I've coveted a Roll 8 for years and remember stumbling on that info when I was searching for the recalls issued on my Trek DS a couple of years ago.
Old 06-07-18, 11:22 AM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally put some new tires on. They are slightly more narrow than the stock tires. First ride was good. Very happy with them.

Old 06-07-18, 11:28 AM
hokiefyd 

I love those tires. They're essentially blackwall versions (no stripe) of the Big Ben. I wish they made them in more sizes..
Old 06-07-18, 01:58 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I love those tires. They're essentially blackwall versions (no stripe) of the Big Ben. I wish they made them in more sizes..
Yeah I wish there were more options available too.
Old 06-10-18, 06:37 PM
Cloudscout

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished the MS-150 with my Roll Sport. 149.3 miles from Duluth, MN to Saint Paul, MN. Over 3000 riders but I didn't see anybody else riding one.
Old 06-11-18, 03:08 AM
GLJo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciMan
BTW, speaking of complaints, there was at least one recall on some Roll models. I've coveted a Roll 8 for years and remember stumbling on that info when I was searching for the recalls issued on my Trek DS a couple of years ago.
I suspect you are confusing the current Roll with the totally different older bike that was also (confusingly!) called 'Roll' - maybe Globe Roll ??
Old 06-11-18, 03:21 AM
GLJo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudscout
I just finished the MS-150 with my Roll Sport. 149.3 miles from Duluth, MN to Saint Paul, MN. Over 3000 riders but I didn't see anybody else riding one.
Good on you for doing the ride! however it doesn't really surprise me you didn't see another Roll on a 150 mile journey :-)
Old 06-11-18, 07:13 AM
Cloudscout

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLJo
Good on you for doing the ride! however it doesn't really surprise me you didn't see another Roll on a 150 mile journey :-)
There were several fat tire bikes, though.
Old 06-11-18, 08:10 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Got my Roll Comp x 1 on May 19th. Low entry. Took it for a couple of short rides the next couple of days before going out of town for a while. Rode yesterday to do some errands and I'm loving this bike. No more pain getting on and off of the bike. Being able to stop and put my foot down without getting off the saddle if I choose, It really is a great bike for this 69 year old with hip and knee replacements. I don't hesitate now to "jump" on and ride at any time. I highly recommend this bike for anyone, but especially for those of us looking for comfort and ease of riding. My fast days are probably over and that's ok.
Old 06-17-18, 06:45 PM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don’t see why not. It’s a very comfortable bike. Thus far, my longest ride has been 26 miles, but that’s me, not the bike.
Old 06-18-18, 03:26 PM
GLJo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightcap

I don’t see why not. It’s a very comfortable bike. Thus far, my longest ride has been 26 miles, but that’s me, not the bike.
Cruiser type bikes aren't really designed for efficient, long distance riding.
The Roll is indeed comfortable for shortish periods of time, but for extended periods, more of your weight than normal is on your sit bones, and not distributed as much via your wrists, and to a lesser extent, by your legs pushing in a more directly downwards direction.
Also, the crank forward design can put more strain on some people's knees than a conventional geometry. Might not be an issue for shorter, more leisurely journeys, but a Roll wouldn't be my 1st choice for a 150 mile run!!
Old 06-18-18, 03:37 PM
Nightcap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cruiser type bikes aren't really designed for efficient, long distance riding.
The Roll is indeed comfortable for shortish periods of time, but for extended periods, more of your weight than normal is on your sit bones, and not distributed as much via your wrists, and to a lesser extent, by your legs pushing in a more directly downwards direction.
Also, the crank forward design can put more strain on some people's knees than a conventional geometry. Might not be an issue for shorter, more leisurely journeys, but a Roll wouldn't be my 1st choice for a 150 mile run!!
I’m not saying it’s the most efficient, i’m just saying it’s a perfectly comfortable ride if you’re not in a hurry. As someone else pointed out in another thread, Thomas Stevens circumnavigated the globe on a 50” Ordinary (Penny-farthing). Granted, it took him from April of 1884 to December of 1886 to do it...

i’m committed to a metric century on my Roll by the end of summer. I’ll let you know if my ass falls off.
Old 06-19-18, 03:59 AM
GLJo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightcap

I’m not saying it’s the most efficient, i’m just saying it’s a perfectly comfortable ride if you’re not in a hurry. As someone else pointed out in another thread, Thomas Stevens circumnavigated the globe on a 50” Ordinary (Penny-farthing). Granted, it took him from April of 1884 to December of 1886 to do it...

i’m committed to a metric century on my Roll by the end of summer. I’ll let you know if my ass falls off.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

And an ass just gets sore, but recovers. If it was me, I'd be more worried about my knees, but then I'm one of those people who does suffer because of the Rolls crank forward geometry.
Good luck with your century though. Just take it easy ok!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.