Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Confused with sizing

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Confused with sizing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 06:08 AM
A User Name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Confused with sizing

So I decided that I want to get a decent bike. I haven't ridden in probably 10 years, and as far as I remember I've only ever had cheap bikes from big box stores. I primarily want it for fitness purposes, as another way to get some cardio on a regular basis. I plan to ride on paved paths and roadway 90% of the time, but think I'd like the ability to go "off-road" on a trail every once in a while (nothing crazy, no mountain biking or anything). I've gone to two bike shops so far; one was a retailer for Trek and the other for Specialized. I had looked at FX and DS models online but the Trek shop only had a 7.3 FX for me to get on and "test ride" on the trainer... I was on my lunch break so I didn't have time to ride it around the block or anything. Then I looked at and rode a CrossTrail Disc Sport at the Specialized shop. Both felt decent but I guess I don't really know what a good bike is supposed to feel like anyway. I did some research afterwards, and noticed that given my height, the manufacturers had recommended the next sizes up from what I had been shown at the shops. Granted, those may have been the largest sizes they had, but at each I was told that it was the right size for me. I'm male, 6'2" (188 cm), 190 lbs, and have a 33" inseam using the book-in-crotch measuring method.
  • I was shown a 20" 7.3 FX. The sizing chart on the Trek website shows a 20" is recommended for 174-187 cm and 22.5" for 185-197 cm.
  • Then I was shown a L CrossTrail Disc Sport. The Specialized sizing chart shows a L is recommended for 5'9"-6'0" and an XL for 6'0" to 6'4".
Do the recommendations from the shops sound right? I've read that if you're in between two sizes to go with the larger one. Is that accurate? I just want to ensure that they're not just trying to get rid of the inventory they have on hand, but also don't want to order something and find out it's too big. Thanks!

Last edited by A User Name; 06-12-16 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-12-16, 11:42 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by A User Name
  • I was shown a 20" 7.3 FX. The sizing chart on the Trek website shows a 20" is recommended for 174-187 cm and 22.5" for 185-197 cm.
  • Then I was shown a L CrossTrail Disc Sport. The Specialized sizing chart shows a L is recommended for 5'9"-6'0" and an XL for 6'0" to 6'4".
Do the recommendations from the shops sound right? I've read that if you're in between two sizes to go with the larger one. Is that accurate? I just want to ensure that they're not just trying to get rid of the inventory they have on hand, but also don't want to order something and find out it's too big. Thanks!
Your overall height puts you right in the pocket for the 22.5" FX, but the shortness of your legs changes that. The stand over height of the 22.5" FX is 32.7", which would put your private parts in jeopardy. Also, the tall head tube would set the handlebar high relative to your hips. On the other hand, the 20" FX is right for your leg length, but its short reach is a problem. This could be solved with a longer handlebar stem to extend the reach and moving the saddle back for balance, but I'm not done.

The Specialized Cross Trail in Large is about 3 cm longer and a little bit taller than the FX. Likewise, the Specialized Sirrus, which is their direct competitor with the FX, has a fit similar to the Cross Trail. Like the 22.5" FX, the XL Cross Trail and Sirrus would jeopardize your junk. So, even though I work for a Trek dealer, I'm going out on the limb to say a Large Sirrus or Cross Trail would be a better fit for you. You still might prefer to extend the reach with a longer stem, but the change would be more of an adjustment than an overhaul.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 06-12-16 at 11:46 PM.