Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Packing Camp Stoves

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Packing Camp Stoves

Old 03-14-19, 01:56 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I live in CA and they have very restrictive laws toward camp stoves. A canister stove is about the only stove they haven't made illegal. Canister stoves virtually require no maintenance. I have a remote canister style stove. You can also turn the canister upside down in colder weather with my stove. Some of the newer canister stoves like the Pocket Rocket Delux have a pressure regulator built in that keeps the fuel pressure stable even in very cold weather. I am moving to another state and I intend to use a Kelly Kettle. You can boil and cook with them also. They use very little fuel/wood and it is easy to get the fuel/wood for free.
Old 03-14-19, 02:36 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Back in 1972 I backpacked in Colorado and was doing the Fourteeners. I used my Svea 123 lit with matches while camping on or near the some of the summits. It work fine. Wind was the biggest problem. I used that same stove for my bike tours until 2012. Amazing stoves but you needed to have a knack when priming them. When I realized that canisters were becoming common enough to source while out on the road, I retired the Svea.

BTW: Back in 1972 I did carry a striker flint & emergency waterproof match case, cause that's what you did. Never really needed to use the flint nor emergency matches...I guess that was a good thing.

Last edited by BigAura; 03-14-19 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 02:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Thank you @cycocommute and all who answered my question.

I never would have thought about pressure differential between the canister and outside atmosphere causing gas to exit at a higher velocity and blowing out the match. This is the kind of information about technique that only experienced people can tell you. I appreciate it more than you guys know.

For the sake of this thread and another data point, I'm using the Snow Peak Litemax stove. Snow Peak claims that it can simmer but that is at the file line between barely running and going out. Sometimes wind or ambient temperatures helps to lower the amount of heat going into the pot and can help with delicate items such as sauteing garlic which would otherwise burn quickly. At 70° it will boil 10 oz water in 90 seconds.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-14-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 03:14 PM
Lovegasoline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
I love these stove threads, always a million ideas. Bought in 1980, we STILL use every summer on tours (when we don't fly) a Coleman peak 1 400A stove

I too bought a Coleman Peak 1 in 1980 ... for backpacking. Man that thing was a heavy brick (in retrospect)! It was probably my first cool 'outdoor gear gadget'.
I also had a Bleuet, which was much lighter and cool looking and exuded Euro chic with it's sleek design and blue canister ... however it was hardly ever used because reliably locating cartridges was an enormous PITA (and comparatively expensive vs. gasoline) which made it impractical. If I lived in Europe rather than in the northeast USA the canisters would probably have been much easier to score.
Pretty blue though!

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 03-15-19 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 03:15 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm using the Snow Peak Litemax stove. Snow Peak claims that it can simmer but that is at the file line between barely running and going out
That's what I now use too. Great stove. By carefully adjusting, simmer is doable on mine, for my needs.

Last edited by BigAura; 03-15-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 04:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
My next tour, probably just a butane mix type stove. I plan to fly, too much hassle to try to clean up a stove well enough that TSA won't confiscate it. Now the hard part, how much fuel to buy when I get there? My recent solo trips with comparable food during the past few years averaged 35 to 50 grams of fuel per day of fuel, that is a big range.
Old 03-14-19, 08:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
USA source for Campingaz/Kemper/Primus/XQ/or any other brand puncture/pierceable/206/Bleuet/190g canisters?

Thanx!
Old 03-15-19, 08:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
You'll have to pry my Dragonfly and Optimus Nova from my cold, dead hands, which is why I will likely never do any UL touring.
Old 03-15-19, 08:24 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Well, I feel you for sure. At first I missed my hot cup of coffee just to pry my glued-up eyelids open, but after a while, I got used to cold instant GOOD coffee like Starbucks. I'd fill a water bottle with water and toss in a packet of coffee and I was good to go. From being military and rough jobs since then, I've gotten used to cold coffee and cold meals. Sometimes I rather prefer cold leftovers to warmed. Its all a state of mind, yes?
I have enjoyed making coffee at camp. My Trangia, and, more recently my Esbit, Trangia knock off have done the job. But I've also recently begun to enjoy cold-brewed coffee. When I went on a multi-night camping trip where my stove would have been impractical, I filled an insulated growler with cold brew I had prepared at home, kept ice in my cooler, and drank iced coffee all weekend. That worked fine for a few days if you don't mind the extra weight. And since I was spending more time camping than riding, I didn't mind. Going forward, I'm not sure if I'll continue to go with cold brew or not, but I have found concentrated cold brew that would travel a bit better. I've done the hot, powdered, Starbucks coffee. It's better than a lot of options, but I felt like carrying "real" coffee was worth the weight. It remains to be seen how I'll handle the next trip. There's something to be said for the simplicity of leaving the stove behind, but there's also some joy in making a nice hot meal in camp, or pulling off to the side of the trail to fix up a good cup of coffee.

Old 03-15-19, 10:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by tcs
USA source for Campingaz/Kemper/Primus/XQ/or any other brand puncture/pierceable/206/Bleuet/190g canisters?

Thanx!
In the 1980s I think that Hoigards in Minneapolis was the last store in the Minneapolis/St Paul area that sold those cannisters. I doubt that they have them any more. I have a few in the basement that I bought at a garage sale several years ago. If you are an REI member, you could contact them about doing a special order if you wanted a case of them. I do not know if they do special orders any more, they have really changed in the last several years away from their original mission statement. This link says Brunton is the Primus distributor. They would know if you can get any Primus brand ones in USA.
https://primus.us/pages/distributors

I think you need a new stove, one that uses the threaded cannisters. There are quite a few good ones available at a wide variety of price points.
Old 03-15-19, 01:54 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
In the 1980s I think that Hoigards in Minneapolis was the last store in the Minneapolis/St Paul area that sold those cannisters. I doubt that they have them any more. I have a few in the basement that I bought at a garage sale several years ago. If you are an REI member, you could contact them about doing a special order if you wanted a case of them. I do not know if they do special orders any more, they have really changed in the last several years away from their original mission statement. This link says Brunton is the Primus distributor. They would know if you can get any Primus brand ones in USA.
https://primus.us/pages/distributors

I think you need a new stove, one that uses the threaded cannisters. There are quite a few good ones available at a wide variety of price points.
I have a few in my basement too. What to do with them? I think you are supposed to take them to a hazardous materials receiving site.
Old 03-15-19, 02:38 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
I have a few in my basement too. What to do with them? I think you are supposed to take them to a hazardous materials receiving site.

The pop up add in this post was ... ...

https://www.lostways.org/vsl/index_a...rx=1&split=260
""

THE CRISIS WE SHOULD ALL PREP FOR

is what folks 150 years ago called daily life:

...no electrical power, no refrigerators, no Internet, no computers, no TV, no hyperactive law enforcement, and no Safeway or Walmart.
They got things done or else we wouldn't be here!""

Very first time I clicked a pop up add.
Old 03-15-19, 02:44 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
What kind of grinder is that? My coffee grinder has a glass bowl to collect the grounds. It grinds to slowly to make me happy. If someone knows how to get finely ground coffee in the back country, I will go into the mountains and leave you all alone, until I run out of beans. Fresh ground beans taste better.

Originally Posted by Rob_E
I have enjoyed making coffee at camp. My Trangia, and, more recently my Esbit, Trangia knock off have done the job. But I've also recently begun to enjoy cold-brewed coffee. When I went on a multi-night camping trip where my stove would have been impractical, I filled an insulated growler with cold brew I had prepared at home, kept ice in my cooler, and drank iced coffee all weekend. That worked fine for a few days if you don't mind the extra weight. And since I was spending more time camping than riding, I didn't mind. Going forward, I'm not sure if I'll continue to go with cold brew or not, but I have found concentrated cold brew that would travel a bit better. I've done the hot, powdered, Starbucks coffee. It's better than a lot of options, but I felt like carrying "real" coffee was worth the weight. It remains to be seen how I'll handle the next trip. There's something to be said for the simplicity of leaving the stove behind, but there's also some joy in making a nice hot meal in camp, or pulling off to the side of the trail to fix up a good cup of coffee.

Old 03-15-19, 02:52 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
What kind of grinder is that? My coffee grinder has a glass bowl to collect the grounds. It grinds to slowly to make me happy. If someone knows how to get finely ground coffee in the back country, I will go into the mountains and leave you all alone, until I run out of beans. Fresh ground beans taste better.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013R3Q7B2/

JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder.

I haven't used it a lot, but I like it so far. The base collects the ground coffee, and the little window shows if you have enough. The crank comes off easily, which makes packing it up easy. The lid and base just slide on and off, but I haven't had any concerns about them slipping off yet as they fit very snuggly. I usually fill the top part all the way and try to grind just enough for a cup. The remaining beans just stay put until the next cup. Doesn't hold a lot, just a couple of cup's worth, but if you're only going for a couple of days, it's nice to be able to just fill the grinder and not have to stash a bag of beans anywhere.
Old 03-15-19, 03:15 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013R3Q7B2/

JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder.

I haven't used it a lot, but I like it so far. The base collects the ground coffee, and the little window shows if you have enough. The crank comes off easily, which makes packing it up easy. The lid and base just slide on and off, but I haven't had any concerns about them slipping off yet as they fit very snuggly. I usually fill the top part all the way and try to grind just enough for a cup. The remaining beans just stay put until the next cup. Doesn't hold a lot, just a couple of cup's worth, but if you're only going for a couple of days, it's nice to be able to just fill the grinder and not have to stash a bag of beans anywhere.
How fine of a grind is it? If I grind beans at the super market, I use the finest setting.

Is there a coffee thread for the touring cyclist, or does it just fit in with camp stoves?
Old 03-15-19, 03:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

I have been using them, if I did not want to use them I would not have bought them. Markhill used to make an adapter that allowed you to put a thread-on canister type of stove on the puncture type cannisters, bought one of those adapters years ago.

In the photo I have an old Primus Powercook on the Markhill adapter. The black tape over the part of the cannister where you puncture it is to keep it from smelling after you remove the stove from an empty cannister.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-15-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 04:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

I doubt that they have them any more...I think you need a new stove
Yeah, the USA supply of these dried up decades ago. My stove that uses them is only 42 years old and worked fine as I used up the last of my cartridges. Those puncture cartridges are still manufactured and sold in many parts of the world, including just on the other side of the wall in Mexico. I was hoping somebody had found an internet, global village-esque ebay store front operation that purveyed them in 'Merica.

Destined for the landfill, I expect.
Old 03-15-19, 04:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

I've done the hot, powdered, Starbucks coffee. It's better than a lot of options...
Nescafé Clásico. Word.
Old 03-15-19, 04:45 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by tcs
Yeah, the USA supply of these dried up decades ago. My stove that uses them is only 42 years old and worked fine as I used up the last of my cartridges. Those puncture cartridges are still manufactured and sold in many parts of the world, including just on the other side of the wall in Mexico. I was hoping somebody had found an internet, global village-esque ebay store front operation that purveyed them in 'Merica.

Destined for the landfill, I expect.
Did you contact Brunton?
Old 03-15-19, 06:46 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have been using them, if I did not want to use them I would not have bought them. Markhill used to make an adapter that allowed you to put a thread-on canister type of stove on the puncture type cannisters, bought one of those adapters years ago.

In the photo I have an old Primus Powercook on the Markhill adapter. The black tape over the part of the cannister where you puncture it is to keep it from smelling after you remove the stove from an empty cannister.

I will mail mine to you. Except its illegal.
Old 03-15-19, 07:45 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Nice review, you're right.

huh? you pay $14 for a stove and $20 for fuel. Those fuel cans are $6 at Walmart for 250 grams.

Learning firestarting skills with a fire-starter is fun, but has little to do with touring, leave it home. Forget those waterproof matches too. Buy a Bic lighter. Best to keep it in a plastic bag or pouch. But even if a Bic lighter gets wet or even submerged it'll still work. Dry it and strike it like dozen times, or + whatever, it'll come back. If you want a backup system, buy two. I like those mini-lighters.
Yes you can get those cheap at Walmart but when your touring a Walmart isn't always around when you need it so most places, like small stores in or near campgrounds sell those for around $20, of course if you can get to a Walmart then go get some fuel, but again remote areas that may be tough.

Bic lighters are great but they do have a limited supply of fuel and are terrible in wind and rain.
Old 03-15-19, 08:03 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by Lovegasoline
Expensive.
If you're on a tight budget and looking to buy cheap, the same stove or similar can be had for half that price.
(I've got a titanium one that was about $7 w/shipping).

[Yes 'a stove is just a stove' but there's a big spectrum in BTU output, flame profile, weight, field strippability, fuel type/availability/weight/cost, noise, environmental/cold weather compatible, etc.]
At the time I bought the one I showed, all the cheaper ones I got terrible reviews which is why I didn't buy one that was cheaper. The Titanium one that I just saw on Amazon doesn't have a pezel starter and it costs $3 more then mine which isn't a big deal more.

I haven't had any issues with my stove, BTU output is the same as a friends MSR system, we both boiled water with a few seconds of each other in the same size container, the output is supposedly 6.666 BTUs; I don't have nothing to weigh my stove with but it's light and very small; works in cold weather (but I haven't been touring and cooking at below 45 degrees yet but it worked fine for that and I don't plan on touring in freezing temps), while raining, in the wind if I use the windscreen and high altitudes (I haven't camped at above 8,000 feet while touring, I'm not sure how high I was, somewhere between 6000 to 7500 feet); there is no reason to strip the stove because it's very basic and nothing to go wrong except for the pezel lighter could fail so you then you light it with a match or a lighter, or a magnesium spark if that were to happen. I happened to find this review today on my stove: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ity-ultralight It has some negatives but those negatives won't effect me due to I don't camp in those conditions.
Old 03-15-19, 08:26 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Open fires aren’t always an option, especially in large parts of the western US. We are regularly under fire bans where the only option is a stove with regulated fuel delivery. During those bans not only are wood fires banned but even pop can stoves are banned...and with good reason.

There are reasons for spending more. The Soto I referred to two years ago () works far better at altitude then most everything else I have tired. It’s very difficult to ignite even a fuel stove at 11,000 feet.

Although it’s a whole other discussion, if I had to leave home with a Sawyer, I wouldn’t leave home. The first time I used mine, it worked well. The second time I used it (about a year later), it took 8 hours to filter a liter of water. I have a heavier MSR Sweetwater but it has never let me down.

Yes, you could start a fire with a 9 volt battery and steel wool but you have to have the 9 volt battery and the steel wool. It’s cool but not practical.

Rather than dryer lint, I use cotton balls that I have rubbed with Vaseline. 8 to 10 of them can be crammed into an old film canister and they burn for longer and hotter than dry cotton balls. One strike with a firestarter is usually enough to ignite them.

I would agree that the waterproof matches are useless. But butane lighters can be useless in some situations as well. As noted above if the flint gets contaminated, they don’t work. Additionally they suffer from altitude problems as many lighters do. Above about 9000 feet, the gas comes out too fast so the air/fuel mixture is too rich. They simply won’t ignite. I bought expensive wind proof lighters only to discover that they simply won’t work at altitude. That’s why I carry cotton balls with Vaseline and a striker for emergency fire starting. It just works more reliably for here in the high west.
I've never camped at those higher elevations like you, remember I'm bike camping on the road not off road, and I'm not backpacking into high elevation areas, so you maybe right about higher elevations but useless for me doing road touring.

Sawyer has never failed me nor anyone else I know that uses them, I had a friend that does some long backpacking adventures turned me on to the Sawyer, neither him nor anyone he knows ever was let down by the Sawyer. I don't use mine much since I try to find water either in bottles, or I can get free water at fast food places, but I carry just in case, I think I use it once or twice in the last 5 years. Due to you saying your's didn't work after it was stored, got me a bit concerned so I tested it and it worked just fine, so I think you got a bad one.

Dryer lint is free and you can put vaseline on dryer lint as well, and dryer lint will condense down more than cotton balls will.

The 9 volt thing I mentioned that for fun, but it does show that if all else fails and by chance you have a 9 volt battery and steel wool you can start a fire.

Butane lighters are useless unless you get one designed for camping and adverse weather, you can find these cheap on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproo...inglighters-20

I live in California so I know all too well about fires not being allowed in campgrounds most of the time, but you can use a stove.
Old 03-15-19, 09:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

I will mail mine to you. Except its illegal.
Donate to a store run by a charity, if someone has an old Bluet stove, they will recognize them and buy them.
Old 03-15-19, 11:09 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott

Sawyer has never failed me nor anyone else I know that uses them, I had a friend that does some long backpacking adventures turned me on to the Sawyer, neither him nor anyone he knows ever was let down by the Sawyer. I don't use mine much since I try to find water either in bottles, or I can get free water at fast food places, but I carry just in case, I think I use it once or twice in the last 5 years. Due to you saying your's didn't work after it was stored, got me a bit concerned so I tested it and it worked just fine, so I think you got a bad one.
Nope. Not a bad one. It’s a problem that hollow fiber filters have. Google “Sawyer filter failure” and you’ll find all kind of stories about failures. They are all along the lines of mine...worked fine, perhaps stored, and then didn’t work or only had a trickle. And I’ve found lots of ideas on how to bring the filter back but if the filter suddenly stops working in nowhere and you don’t have access to the stuff you need for those fixes, they are useless as is the filter.

Butane lighters are useless unless you get one designed for camping and adverse weather, you can find these cheap on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproo...inglighters-20
I have several of those (or something similar). They suffer from the same problem as stoves. At altitude, they don’t work. And, if they don’t work, they are less than useless. They are even dangerous since you might depend on them.

I live in California so I know all too well about fires not being allowed in campgrounds most of the time, but you can use a stove.
Yes, you can use a stove but it has to have a regulated flow of fuel. That means a shut off valve according to US Forest Service regulations.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.