Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Delwis' FX S 6

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Delwis' FX S 6

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 10:02 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Delwis
I decided today, I am going to do all the work on my FX myself. I've had some experience working on bikes and there are plenty of Youtube tutorials to learn whatever I want to do.

Once I get the handlebar/grips and tires on later this week, my next project will be to swap in Shimano Acera M425 brakes. Those are the brakes Trek used on the 2017 before going to the Tektro in '18. In the meantime, I am looking at wheels. Carbon would be nice but not too likely. Maybe.
Just curious ... why? The M425s are perfectly decent budget hydraulic disc brakes -- probably about the same level (quality/function) as the Tektros. I can't see any reason for the switch ... is there something wrong with your stock brakes?

Also, you'll have to kludge the Shimanos onto your bike with an adapter, I think. The M425s are post-mount; your frame/fork is designed for flat-mount brakes like the Tektros.
Old 01-16-18, 10:05 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I decided today, I am going to do all the work on my FX myself. I've had some experience working on bikes and there are plenty of Youtube tutorials to learn whatever I want to do.

Once I get the handlebar/grips and tires on later this week, my next project will be to swap in Shimano Acera M425 brakes. Those are the brakes Trek used on the 2017 before going to the Tektro in '18. In the meantime, I am looking at wheels. Carbon would be nice but not too likely. Maybe.
Wow, you’re really jumping feet first into your new bike !

I did a few mods on mine as well, mostly gearing and tires. If it were me, and was going to upgrade the brakes, might as well go a few notches up from the 425s, since those are basically entry level and I doubt they’re much better (if any) than your Tektros. The M7000s are really nice ! Just remember that your rotors are only for organic pads and won’t work well with semi metallic pads.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SLX...RoCzKgQAvD_BwE
Old 01-16-18, 10:16 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Also, you'll have to kludge the Shimanos onto your bike with an adapter, I think. The M425s are post-mount; your frame/fork is designed for flat-mount brakes like the Tektros.
Oh yeah, that’s right, he would need a PM adapter, not sure if I’ve even seen a flat/PM adapter.
Old 01-16-18, 10:22 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got the Selle Royal Scientia M3 saddle installed tonight! My first real modification. It is so much nicer and comfortable than the stock saddle.

Your seat has the Cateye Intergrated Clip System, so you can mount most Cateye blinking rear lights cleanly into the saddle. I have them on both my bikes, and I like that you don’t have to mount them to the seatpost or frame.

Old 01-16-18, 10:25 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Oh yeah, that’s right, he would need a PM adapter, not sure if I’ve even seen a flat/PM adapter.
Hey Scooty ... yep. It's not a problem, though. Shimano for one makes the necessary adapters. @Delwis would need the correct ones for front (post-mount caliper to flat-mount fork) and rear brake (p-m caliper to f-m frame), each for the correct disc size -- but they are available.

So, do-able -- I just don't see why unless, as you say above, one were to change out the Tektros for something significantly better, e.g. the SLX ones you mention or above. That would make sense.
Old 01-17-18, 12:12 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Too confusing. I'm sticking with V-Brakes.
Old 01-17-18, 04:56 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious ... why? The M425s are perfectly decent budget hydraulic disc brakes -- probably about the same level (quality/function) as the Tektros. I can't see any reason for the switch ... is there something wrong with your stock brakes?

Just because. I have no issue with the Tektro other than to me, they are an off brand and I'd like Shimano brakes to match my other Shimano components. Trek recommended the M425. But, I still need to research all their offerings.
Old 01-17-18, 05:01 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your seat has the Cateye Intergrated Clip System, so you can mount most Cateye blinking rear lights cleanly into the saddle. I have them on both my bikes, and I like that you don’t have to mount them to the seatpost or frame. Do you have any part numbers? TIA.

That's a pretty sweet set up. I'll have to look into it.

Last edited by Delwis; 01-17-18 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 06:46 AM
badger1

Just because. I have no issue with the Tektro other than to me, they are an off brand and I'd like Shimano brakes to match my other Shimano components. Trek recommended the M425. But, I still need to research all their offerings.
Reason enough!
Old 01-17-18, 06:46 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Too confusing. I'm sticking with V-Brakes.
qft! Too many conflicting 'standards'.
Old 01-17-18, 09:31 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the 425s and I like them, they’re pretty basic and so far so good. With a bike as light as ours that’s really all you need, I doubt I would like them as much on my 50 pound Surly though.
Old 01-17-18, 11:24 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 01-17-18, 01:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
this looks like it needs to be brought in closer to the chain when the chain is in the lowest gear combination.

Old 01-17-18, 02:24 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bob. I'll have to cut down an allen to get to it.
Old 01-17-18, 05:26 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 425s and I like them, they’re pretty basic and so far so good. With a bike as light as ours that’s really all you need, I doubt I would like them as much on my 50 pound Surly though.
Thanks Scooty.
Old 01-17-18, 06:30 PM
V8Interceptor

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delwis, I'm looking forward to seeing all your upgrades. I plan on posting some photos of my new S 5 when I get it as well as any upgrades I put on the bike.
Old 01-17-18, 06:58 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V8Interceptor
Delwis, I'm looking forward to seeing all your upgrades. I plan on posting some photos of my new S 5 when I get it as well as any upgrades I put on the bike.

Sounds good V8! Can't wait to see! I assume by your handle that you are a car guy. I used to be. Well, still am. I modified a number of cars with performance upgrades over the years and tracked some of them. I had/have a mod bug. That mod mentality pretty much carried over when I shifted my primary focus over to two wheels. To me, my new bike is a canvas. I will always be doing some type of upgrade. I'll probably end up with fancy carbon wheels and electronic Dura-Ace and who knows what else! LOL
Old 01-18-18, 09:53 AM
V8Interceptor

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I used to be a big car guy, until I got bit by the MTB bug! I try to remind the wife that bike upgrades are usually cheaper than car upgrades. Plus the most expensive bike is still less expensive than the cheapest heart procedure!!!
Old 01-18-18, 10:30 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's funny.

BTW, I just got notice. My handlebar is now at home waiting for me. My tires were supposed to show up today too but no word yet.
Old 01-18-18, 08:27 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My tires were supposed to be here by 8PM tonight. They are late. I really wanted to get them on tonight. Oh well. Like I said though, my carbon handle bar arrived today! Got here pretty quick from Trek. So, of course I installed it. I ended up cutting 40mm off each side. The bar had markings (made to be cut) on each end so I just went with 40. The biggest cut off. I had planned on taking off 50mm but since the marks ended at 40 I thought that would be the safest way to go. The result was a bar 3/8" longer on each side compared to the stock Isoflex. Or, a 3/4" wider spread. Stock was 24.5 and I am now 25.25 I think that will suit me.

I am going to have to make numerous adjustments now. The angle of the bar itself, the grips, brake levers and shifters. (Not to mention I have to dial the seat in too!) I might get a chance Friday after work to take a little spin. Shouldn't be too bad. I put them back on pretty close to where they were.

The cutting was a breeze. I use a tube cutting miter and a 32t blade. I pretty much just used the weight of the hacksaw to do the work and made nice easy strokes. Just took a few minutes for each side. There were no fibers or strands hanging out. I cut down the sharp edges a little with some 180 grit paper. The GS1 handles went on fairly easy but solid in fit.

One thing to look out for is the finish on the bar. It is very delicate and will scratch very easy. I put a nick in mine with a lever clamp. Not too bad but it ticks me off. Loosen the clamps good and be careful when you slide them on if you do this mod. I also had to redo the brake and grip on one side to loop it through the opposite cable. When I got done the first time, I realized one cable was flopping in the breeze.

Old 01-18-18, 08:56 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What tires did you buy ?
Old 01-18-18, 09:15 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Continental Grand Prix 4Season 700 X 32.
https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...-prix-4-season
Old 01-18-18, 10:56 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
My tires were supposed to be here by 8PM tonight. They are late. I really wanted to get them on tonight. Oh well. Like I said though, my carbon handle bar arrived today! Got here pretty quick from Trek. So, of course I installed it. I ended up cutting 40mm off each side. The bar had markings (made to be cut) on each end so I just went with 40. The biggest cut off. I had planned on taking off 50mm but since the marks ended at 40 I thought that would be the safest way to go. The result was a bar 3/8" longer on each side compared to the stock Isoflex. Or, a 3/4" wider spread. Stock was 24.5 and I am now 25.25 I think that will suit me.

I am going to have to make numerous adjustments now. The angle of the bar itself, the grips, brake levers and shifters. (Not to mention I have to dial the seat in too!) I might get a chance Friday after work to take a little spin. Shouldn't be too bad. I put them back on pretty close to where they were.

The cutting was a breeze. I use a tube cutting miter and a 32t blade. I pretty much just used the weight of the hacksaw to do the work and made nice easy strokes. Just took a few minutes for each side. There were no fibers or strands hanging out. I cut down the sharp edges a little with some 180 grit paper. The GS1 handles went on fairly easy but solid in fit.

One thing to look out for is the finish on the bar. It is very delicate and will scratch very easy. I put a nick in mine with a lever clamp. Not too bad but it ticks me off. Loosen the clamps good and be careful when you slide them on if you do this mod. I also had to redo the brake and grip on one side to loop it through the opposite cable. When I got done the first time, I realized one cable was flopping in the breeze.

Looks good.

Are you able to weigh the new parts vs the old parts to see what weight savings you made?

I know that wasn't your motivation, but I'm always curious about these things, even though I am not a weight weeny in practice, I often am in my head.
Old 01-19-18, 05:55 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I'm very happy with it and it was a fun little project. Definitely worth doing. Sorry. Didn't weigh the parts. But when I first picked up the box the RXL came in, it felt empty. The Isoflex was actually pretty light but the RXL is probably half as heavy. Trek claims it is 180g. That would be before I chopped 80mm off it. So, it probably ended up at about 170g.
Old 01-19-18, 06:16 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The finishing touch for my new bar. Carbon end plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.