Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gotta escape the cold

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gotta escape the cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 05:51 AM
RVwriter

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress 24-speed & 2017 Giant Escape 21-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Gotta escape the cold

Wife is 74 with second-stage kidney failure & 20% heart activity backed by a defibrillator. I'm79 with a wide range of hurts. She can't ride anymore, and I'm ready to do my second start-over as soon as it's 55 degrees here in northern Indiana.

We've gotta get out of here next winter for the whole winter! Any suggestions?

We used to travel widely in our work and have been everywhere in the U.S. We have friends in Phoenix & Tucson, relatives in the Smokies but no one anywhere else. Ideally, we'd drive somewhere and take along my bikes. But I can't handle mountains at this stage, and I don't have the stamina for heavy winds. She'd love the beach, so we're considering Florida panhandle or Tampa area. Also Charleston, her favorite city. Or maybe Savannah.

I want the ability (weather/wind) to ride 20-30 miles every day, preferably using designated bikeways for safety reasons. Want an area where motorists are bike-friendly. Would even be nice to make a friend or two for exploring.

Ideas would be appreciated.
Don
Old 03-16-18, 07:02 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RVwriter

I want the ability (weather/wind) to ride 20-30 miles every day, preferably using designated bikeways for safety reasons. Want an area where motorists are bike-friendly. Would even be nice to make a friend or two for exploring.

Don
How about joining the other snowbirds and come down to central Florida. I live very close to the Withlacoochee Trail. Its a rail trail and 46 miles long. The southern half of the trail is very rural. We also have the Suncoast Trail (41 miles), the Nature Coast Trail (25 miles), and many other paved trails in the central Florida area.
The beach is a short drive from the area. Most of the "water" people around here are fisherman (big business here) or kayakers.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-16-18, 07:46 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Look at Harlingen, TX. Flat with good roads. Many "snow birds" spend the winter there.
Old 03-16-18, 08:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I have elderly relatives, in poor health, in these areas & they seem very happy but none of them cycle
  • Pawleys Island, SC
  • Palm Coast, FL
Old 03-16-18, 10:27 AM
RVwriter

Good suggestions

RonH: Your area of central Florida is something we've not considered, but your mention of the trails there has definitely sparked our interest. I use a rail trail (the Pumpkinvine between Goshen/Middlebury/Shipshewana, Indiana) here every day during good weather. I'm somewhat familiar with your area, having written magazine articles about camping in the Withlacoochee State Forest (and, of course Ocala NF). Which towns would you recommend as a base? There's Inverness, Brooksville, Floral City that come to mind. Or, perhaps with beaches for my wife, New Port Richey, Spring Hill, *****assa? Really good possibilities.

Texbiker: I've been to Harlingen & liked that whole area. Always intended to take my bride there, so maybe it's time. However, as I remember it, the wind (especially around Padre Island) was horrendous. Great area for RV campers, but we got rid of our rig. Any trails there or is it all road riding? The Valley is a really long, hard trip from Elkhart, IN for old people.

Rumrunn6: I'll check out Pawleys Island/Georgtwown/Murrells Inlet for possibilities. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-16-18, 11:15 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
As far as the northern SC coast, Pawleys Island/Georgetown region, it can be pretty cold there for long stretches during the winter. Sometimes accompanied by cold wind. Me personally, I wouldn't stop until at least Savannah, Ga. And better yet, as someone suggested Palm Coast, I rode in St. Augustine this past January. Seems to be fairly bike friendly, lots of bike lanes around there. Even right in town motorists seemed pretty tolerant. Also rode out in the country toward the St. Johns river. Pretty country & just a little south is Palm Coast.
Old 03-16-18, 11:44 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
3rd week of Jan.; we visited friends near Orlando, Florida. Temps were in the 60's/70's:
Next week(last week of Jan); we went to Greenville, SC. Nice place too by the Swamp Rabbit Trail;
but temps were in the 30's/40's.
Old 03-16-18, 12:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Savannah is a gorgeous town. I was there last week. Spanish moss, old churches, lots of art due to SCAD. You could do worse.

Consider the Alabama coast, Santa Rosa Beach or Rosemary Beach Florida.

Greenville is also gorgeous. I would love to move there.

None of these are the tropics however and it will get cold. South of Tampa is the best bet if you want really warm winters.
Old 03-16-18, 01:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
When I go to Florida, except climate and scenery, I feel like I'm back up north. I guess because northerners have retired to Florida for well over a century that they've slowly brought that "atmosphere" with them.

My mom and all here side of the family hail from Indiana. Those that have retired are on the west coast south of Sarasota.

But the other places you listed are good considerations too. They have more of the old charm of the South. I think it's easier to find people your own age and likely from your own area in Florida though if that's an attraction.
Old 03-16-18, 02:48 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Wife is 74 with second-stage kidney failure & 20% heart activity backed by a defibrillator. I'm79 with a wide range of hurts. She can't ride anymore, and I'm ready to do my second start-over as soon as it's 55 degrees here in northern Indiana.

We used to travel widely in our work and have been everywhere in the U.S. We have friends in Phoenix & Tucson, relatives in the Smokies but no one anywhere else. Ideally, we'd drive somewhere and take along my bikes. But I can't handle mountains at this stage, and I don't have the stamina for heavy winds. She'd love the beach, so we're considering Florida panhandle or Tampa area. Also Charleston, her favorite city. Or maybe Savannah.

Don
St George Island, Florida. Period! It is on the "forgotten coast" and it is a jewel in the rough. The are around there is really quiet. Basically desolate. No real development going on in that area. One of the best beaches in the U.S.

I have ridden down there and it is a cycling dream. Off the island it is flat and the coastal road hugs the gulf. On the island it is very quiet. No high rises. 40ft limit for building. State park is desolate. Beautiful, lazy riding. In the winter the population is barely 3k. No major hotels either on the island. We did a house rental and it was just awesome. The island is basically a sanctuary for sea turtles.

john
Old 03-16-18, 03:42 PM
RVwriter

Thanks, everyone

WNCGoater: Thanks for the tip on the cold weather at Pawley Island. I just talked with my wife about that, since she's been to Charleston several times, and she knows Pawley Island and agrees with you that the area is too cold for us at our age; she didn't mind the cold when she was younger and went there often (without me). I'll do a check of Palm Coast.

After some discussion, we're very much leaning toward Crystal River in Florida (near the Withlacoochee State Trail).

TimothyH: Savannah is my wife's Second Favorite City. She agrees that what you caution about the weather is correct. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" is one of my favorite movies.

Iride01: I've had the same feeling when I've gone to Florida. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it's comfortable. My wife will love meeting and talking to former Hoosiers or vacationing Hoosiers, but I'm on the edge of being anti-social and don't really care as long as I can make some enjoyable rides.

Rutan74: St. George Island is a place I definitely want to check out, both online and in person. Even if we decide to go someplace else for the winter, I'll be sure to make a detour there. Thanks for the great info.
Old 03-16-18, 04:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
American Samoa is nearly Equatorial.. no Hurricanes.

Costa Rica has a Ex Pat community from el Norte.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-17-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 06:32 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
The wind around Harlingen usually is not as stiff as when you are on the beach, Inland the wind drops most of the time. Biking can be on roads as well as trails. Distance from Indiana may not be as far as you think compared to south Florida.
If you prefer Florida look at Naples. We have been there a couple of times and the biking looks good.
Old 03-17-18, 09:45 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
WNCGoater: Thanks for the tip on the cold weather at Pawley Island. I just talked with my wife about that, since she's been to Charleston several times, and she knows Pawley Island and agrees with you that the area is too cold for us at our age; she didn't mind the cold when she was younger and went there often (without me). I'll do a check of Palm Coast.

After some discussion, we're very much leaning toward Crystal River in Florida (near the Withlacoochee State Trail).
I'm late to the party but wanted to second RonH's suggestion. I'm 69 have Heart Failure with an EF of 30 now (but with 15 back a couple of years ago) plus a ICD as well. My wife and I live in. RainBow Springs next to the river and 5 miles of so from the Withlacoochee Rail Trail. We ride almost daily (10K miles last year). It's a great place to winter. We started here in our RV and finally sold our northern home and bought a home here. There are several RV parks near by... Manatees, bike riding, walking all winter long. what's not to like
Old 03-17-18, 01:50 PM
RVwriter

Great news, DowneasTTer

DowneasTTer: Wow, we are absolutely impressed! Thanks very much for your reply. Your post raises a few questions for us. First, my wife Pam asks to what do you attribute your improved EF numbers from 15 to 30? Her docs haven't been very encouraging about that. She stopped bike riding because of her heart condition.

Do you think riding is partly (or even more than that) responsible for your amazing improvement? Other exercise too? Is diet a factor? Medication?

You have our heads spinning!

I could not find Rainbow Springs on my DeLorme Street Atlas USA map as an actual place, although I found Rainbow Springs State Park and the river. Are you close to Dunnellon?

Like you, we are former RVers. In fact, I was an editor with Trailer Life Magazine and its related publications, have authored several camping books, worked as a VP at Holiday Rambler and Newmar, etc. To check me out, do a Google search of my name in quotes followed by the word author --- "Don Wright" author.

Just today, Pam and I decided to travel to your area in April in order to check it out. We'd love to talk with you more extensively. I can be reached by e-mail at rvwriter@msn.com

Don
Old 03-17-18, 02:43 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
RVwriter,

I agree with all the comments above regarding FL. Only been to the panhandle once in January, and St. George is everthing that was stated, but it was cold when we were there. Even here in Gainesville it can get cold in the winter (cold is all relative, I’m originally from NJ).

But as you head further south, especially south of Orlando, it is a different temperate zone.

P.S by full disclosure, it is frequently windy in much of FL in winter months, but they generally start up in mid afternoon and die down with the setting sun. Just plan your rides accordingly.

Last edited by wthensler; 03-17-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 02:45 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
DowneasTTer: Wow, we are absolutely impressed! Thanks very much for your reply. Your post raises a few questions for us. First, my wife Pam asks to what do you attribute your improved EF numbers from 15 to 30? Her docs haven't been very encouraging about that. She stopped bike riding because of her heart condition.

Do you think riding is partly (or even more than that) responsible for your amazing improvement? Other exercise too? Is diet a factor? Medication?

You have our heads spinning!

I could not find Rainbow Springs on my DeLorme Street Atlas USA map as an actual place, although I found Rainbow Springs State Park and the river. Are you close to Dunnellon?

Like you, we are former RVers. In fact, I was an editor with Trailer Life Magazine and its related publications, have authored several camping books, worked as a VP at Holiday Rambler and Newmar, etc. To check me out, do a Google search of my name in quotes followed by the word author --- "Don Wright" author.

Just today, Pam and I decided to travel to your area in April in order to check it out. We'd love to talk with you more extensively. I can be reached by e-mail at rvwriter@msn.com

Don
Hi Don,

My wife and I lived in Maine for 62 years. I can say I feel that once I had the Heat Failure diagnosis back in 2011 if we had stayed in Maine I would be dead by now. But, moving to Fl we can be active ALL year long. That and finding a great team of doctors at U of FL in Gainesville has helped me to a point I am now labeled as class 1 HF patient and of course great drugs. I would think that back on the bike slowly would be a good thing. You find all sorts of riders down here. Many used trikes if health is an issue. Is you wife on the icd forum. If not let me know and I'll send the info on how to join. I'm listed as Downeastter over there as well.

You found the state park, we live right next to it. The mailing address is in fact Dunnellon, but we live outside of the city limits. The park has two parts, the head springs (which we live next to) and the camp ground on the other side the river. The river allows for some of the best kayaking around. And we enjoy it, but the trail is the best. And as RonH said there are several rail trails within an hours drive of here. Since we were from Maine we enjoy the rural areas and you will not find more rural than North Central Fl. t's a great place to live, visit. etc

My wife and I have owned our Rialta for the past 19 years and use it to travel to areas to bike and EAT. Back in the day when we were snow birds we stayed at Sandy Oaks in Beverly Hills. Now the Rialta spends 8 months in storage there and the rest of the time on the road looking for places to ride. Life's short get out there and enjoy the time you guys have left. you can contact me at bbsawyer at gwi dot net or voice at two zero seven 689 six six two nine.

We will be here for the entire month of April and would love to get together when you get here. Do you still RV?

Bruce and Cilla Sawyer (Downeaster)
Old 03-18-18, 03:30 PM
RVwriter

Sun appeared today in Elkhart, Indiana, and temp got up to 45, so I made my first ride since last July. As expected, ran out of steam after 3 miles on neighborhood loop. But it sure felt good.

Bruce and Cilla: I’ll have a series of e-mail on a variety of topics & questions headed your way by tomorrow (Monday). We are tentatively planning to leave here & head your way on April 14.

Wthensler: Thanks for the cautions. RE wind, my habit is to ride at daybreak if temp is warm enough.

Don
Old 03-18-18, 06:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I haven’t been to these places, but I have one set of cycling friends that moved to Clermont, FL and really love it there. Another set is spending a month in Venice, FL and say the cycling and area is fabulous.
Old 03-18-18, 11:31 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My general observation is I remember when going north out of Spring Hill, it was pretty desolate except for some RV parks until you got to Crystal River, and even that was kind of quiet. I would say that whole area (west Hernando up to Citrus County) is growing with more services etc.

scott s.
Old 03-19-18, 02:51 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts

TimothyH: Savannah is my wife's Second Favorite City. She agrees that what you caution about the weather is correct. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" is one of my favorite movies.

Iride01: I've had the same feeling when I've gone to Florida. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it's comfortable. My wife will love meeting and talking to former Hoosiers or vacationing Hoosiers, but I'm on the edge of being anti-social and don't really care as long as I can make some enjoyable rides.

Rutan74: St. George Island is a place I definitely want to check out, both online and in person. Even if we decide to go someplace else for the winter, I'll be sure to make a detour there. Thanks for the great info.
FWIW, here is a pic the day we got there in late September. It was like 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday. IMG_0593a.jpg That is looking west.

john
Old 03-19-18, 03:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Being on the Pacific coast, it never gets extremely hot 80f or cold 30f, for more than a few days a year..

but when it does become summer the tourists fill the main roads .. so the economy harvests their money..
Old 03-20-18, 01:45 PM
RVwriter

Scott967: Much thanks for the observation. That give me a good mind-image of the area and doesn’t surprise me. It’s definitely not a negative for us.

Fietsbob: Money is a good green crop everywhere, and in my experience, especially in Florida! Thanks for the tip on weather; that’s very encouraging.

As mentioned earlier, all you guys have convinced us to make an exploratory trip to north-central Florida, and our plans are to head that way mid-April, returning home whenever.
Old 03-21-18, 12:13 PM
RVwriter

Jppe: Clermont, west of Winter Garden & Orlando; Venice, south of Sarasota look like two good options. Been to Venice, not to Clermont

Rutan74: Wonderful looking beach. My wife would love it. We’ll try to check it out while we’re in FL in April.

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-22-18, 06:24 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Up here at the Tip O The Mitt...still in the 20’s and 30’s, cold all March with April looking cold at the start. We occasionally have a cold March but this gets tiring. We have yet to see anything above 45deg. Brrrrrr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.