Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Great Scott! How long since I've been here?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 07:20 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts

You ever have one of those moments when you realize you've not been to one of your favorite sites in a long time, without even noticing?

It's time for me to check in, and see how everyone is doing. ... and what was up with this stupid hot-and-cold running weather we've been having, here in the St. Louis area? I finally got my first 20(ish) mile ride in for this year, and tested the (lousy) video recording skills of my new phone, having dropped my landline after a billing/service kerfuffle with AT&T, which only got solved by just dropping them. Doing all that made me realize "Wait! How long has it been since I posted on the bike forums?

So, how are you all doing, in the time while I was being oblivious?
Old 04-28-18, 07:35 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
We were oblivious to the fact that you were oblivious.
Old 04-28-18, 08:30 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
In spite of extended periods of non-ideal weather, I've managed to get in 750 cycling miles in 2018. Including riding to work the last 3 days.
Old 04-28-18, 09:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Well I haven't been oblivious. I've missed you. I'm thinking the last time we rode together was the Katy Trail Social and we didn't even do that last summer.
Old 04-28-18, 12:02 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I was spoiled last year, because I could take Mom up to Alvareita's School of Beauty, where she could get her hair done for cheap, and it was right next to the trail at the "Historic Leclaire" water tower, so I had a perfect opportunity for a 1-hour ride in several directions. Unfortunately, the Edwardsville school ran out of students, so now we're back to a local shop that only takes a half hour, and isn't very close to any of the trails. At least the Sun is back to coming up early enough for my pre breakfast exercise rambles. I may have to break down and occasionaly use the method of driving to a trailhead, instead of just plowing out the door and pedaling to the nearest trail, for more variation of scenery.

On a side note, I do wish there was an accurate and timely way to know about various trail closings and openings. The closing of the section of the Confluence Trail by the old power plant took me by surprise, and I noticed they're working on the Vadabelene bike trail near Piasa Creek, as well.

Edit: I slapped together a montage of my bad phone video clips and pics. only music is the wind, blowing over the phone mic...

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 04-28-18 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added link to my video