Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Please Help?! Hybrid Purchase Help!?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Please Help?! Hybrid Purchase Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 10:35 PM
Matthew2121

Bikes: 2019 FX 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Bike shops almost always offer free tune-ups and/or free adjustments with the purchase of a new bike. There are two bike shops in my town, and one offers free tune-ups for a year (adjustments, wheel truing, etc) and the other one offers adjustments only, but for three years. Some bike shops offer free adjustments for as long as you own the bike. It's typically not something you pay extra for. Accessories are often cheaper online, but it's also good to build relationships with your local shop also. That's totally up to you. Some good websites for parts and accessories are Chain Reaction Cycles, Jenson USA, Nashbar, and Niagara Cycle. All are US-based except for Chain Reaction, which is based in (and ships from) the UK.
so just got back from the bike shop. they are offering to get me a 2019 FX 3 for 609 before tax. Also a $50 credit to use towards whatever in the store. Does this good? And if so regarding the credit should I use that towards a helmet? Trying to look through the site to get opinions on if I should get a helmet and what kind is right for this type of bike. The store recommended a helmet there, i believe it was called the Bontrager Quantum w/MIPS tech. It's priced at 110 so with the credit it'd still cost me 50ish. Doing research to look into the helmet situation but wanted to update. Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 07-21-18, 06:12 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew2121
so just got back from the bike shop. they are offering to get me a 2019 FX 3 for 609 before tax. Also a $50 credit to use towards whatever in the store. Does this good? And if so regarding the credit should I use that towards a helmet? Trying to look through the site to get opinions on if I should get a helmet and what kind is right for this type of bike. The store recommended a helmet there, i believe it was called the Bontrager Quantum w/MIPS tech. It's priced at 110 so with the credit it'd still cost me 50ish. Doing research to look into the helmet situation but wanted to update. Thanks for any and all help!!
That sounds like a great deal to me ($609 plus $50 store credit). Regarding a helmet, anything that fits and meets CPSC testing should offer good head protection. There is lots of information on this website, including links to opinions for and against helmets, a recent Virginia Tech study on crashworthiness of certain helmets, and a Snell study on the effectiveness of MIPS. I personally ride with a Zefal helmet that I probably bought for 25 dollars at Target 4 years ago.
Old 07-21-18, 11:51 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a great deal to me ($609 plus $50 store credit). Regarding a helmet, anything that fits and meets CPSC testing should offer good head protection. There is lots of information on this website, including links to opinions for and against helmets, a recent Virginia Tech study on crashworthiness of certain helmets, and a Snell study on the effectiveness of MIPS. I personally ride with a Zefal helmet that I probably bought for 25 dollars at Target 4 years ago.
so I guess I'm wondering about the helmet bc I would be using all the store credit and paying the diff. Of 50-60 for that helmet. Or if I should use the store credit and just get bottle holders,and random things? just don't wanna spend the extra money if I can get a cheaper helmet..in this case I suppose I'd be getting the helmet technically for 50-60 dollars, but on line or something. The more research I do on helmets the more confusing it gets lol. And the fact that I can't try them on, see how they fit etc just a bit overwhelmed 😔
Old 07-22-18, 02:48 PM
hokiefyd 

I suppose I'd probably buy the helmet that fits best at Walmart or Target and use your store credit to get some other stuff. Do you have to use the store credit when you buy the bike? If not, I'd probably keep it in your back pocket and see what you think you want for it after a few months' of riding. Are you going to want a rack? Better pedals? Better tires? Different grips? I'd recommend saving it if you can, and spending it later.
Old 07-22-18, 05:46 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose I'd probably buy the helmet that fits best at Walmart or Target and use your store credit to get some other stuff. Do you have to use the store credit when you buy the bike? If not, I'd probably keep it in your back pocket and see what you think you want for it after a few months' of riding. Are you going to want a rack? Better pedals? Better tires? Different grips? I'd recommend saving it if you can, and spending it later.
To be honest I didn't think to ask if I have to use the credit right then and there, so I'll ask tomorrow(they closed already.). Def. good advice on holding on to it and then thinking what I need after the fact. I feel like up front the first thing I do need is a bottle holder and bottle. I know this is an absurdly noob question but shouldn't I get a kickstand? Or is that incredibly frowned upon and or just simply stupid lol I don't see much mentions of them on here so I wonder. As for the helmet, I'll take a look at BBS, just had assumed from reading over this site that was a no no.. thanks for the continued help!
Old 07-23-18, 05:44 AM
hokiefyd 

I have kickstands on all of my bikes. I understand that it's often "not cool" to have a kickstand. I never have quite figured out how it's cooler to, instead, have to find a tree to lay your bike against, or to have to just lay it down on the ground. I'd like to think that we've evolved beyond that!

Cavemen notwithstanding, it's so "not cool" to have a kickstand that manufacturers have begun engineering a mount directly into the rear chain stay. I'm sure Trek have done this with their FX bikes. As an example, you can see the integrated kickstand mount on my Giant Roam here:

roam06 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Sure, I could go find a tree to lean the bike against on the side of the trail. For myself, I'd rather not have to do that.

IMG_20180720_202415879 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
Old 07-23-18, 02:24 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have kickstands on all of my bikes. I understand that it's often "not cool" to have a kickstand. I never have quite figured out how it's cooler to, instead, have to find a tree to lay your bike against, or to have to just lay it down on the ground. I'd like to think that we've evolved beyond that!

Cavemen notwithstanding, it's so "not cool" to have a kickstand that manufacturers have begun engineering a mount directly into the rear chain stay. I'm sure Trek have done this with their FX bikes. As an example, you can see the integrated kickstand mount on my Giant Roam here:

roam06 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Sure, I could go find a tree to lean the bike against on the side of the trail. For myself, I'd rather not have to do that.

IMG_20180720_202415879 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
lmfao!! Your explanation is exactly what went trough my head when i started reading about it "not being cool." So im glad that i dont feel like the ofd man out now. Thank you. Your bike looks gorgeous by the way. So reg. the kickstand , first what one specifically is the one you have and how much do they typically run? Second, super noob question, but when you say integrated into the rear chain stay, do you just mean they make the frame with "holes" there for a stand to be mounted? I guess i hadnt even looked but is that not normal? How do people normally put stands on, the people that do that is lol thanks again for all the info, so helpful!
Old 07-23-18, 03:17 PM
mwl001

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lmfao!! Your explanation is exactly what went trough my head when i started reading about it "not being cool." So im glad that i dont feel like the ofd man out now. Thank you. Your bike looks gorgeous by the way. So reg. the kickstand , first what one specifically is the one you have and how much do they typically run? Second, super noob question, but when you say integrated into the rear chain stay, do you just mean they make the frame with "holes" there for a stand to be mounted? I guess i hadnt even looked but is that not normal? How do people normally put stands on, the people that do that is lol thanks again for all the info, so helpful!
Correct - the holes that attach the kickstand to the bike are factory-installed. I think there are also kickstands that attach around the chainstay available too.
Old 07-23-18, 09:17 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwl001
Correct - the holes that attach the kickstand to the bike are factory-installed. I think there are also kickstands that attach around the chainstay available too.
oh ok thanks. What one is it that you have on your giant? Is there a preferred method as to where it's located?
Old 07-24-18, 08:02 AM
mwl001

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

oh ok thanks. What one is it that you have on your giant? Is there a preferred method as to where it's located?
I'm not sure - I had my bike shop order it after I described what I wanted, and they installed it. I like having the kickstand out of the way of the crank but that's just a personal preference. If the frame wasn't built for this kickstand I think I'd just have a traditional one.
Old 07-24-18, 08:27 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Don't worry about cool with a kickstand get one if you want one. Do worry about cool when it comes to a helmet! Better helmets are lighter and vented better for the hot weather!
Old 07-24-18, 09:41 AM
hokiefyd 

My Roam has the Giant accessory kickstand that goes with the bike. You can see the two silver bolts that attach the kickstand. They go into two threaded holes in the frame.
Old 07-24-18, 02:20 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
To me, kickstands are essential. Helps when there are panniers or other items on the bike just to put the kickstand down.

I like how Giant did that with the Roam though. They definitely know their target audience!
Old 07-24-18, 05:10 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure - I had my bike shop order it after I described what I wanted, and they installed it. I like having the kickstand out of the way of the crank but that's just a personal preference. If the frame wasn't built for this kickstand I think I'd just have a traditional one.
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Don't worry about cool with a kickstand get one if you want one. Do worry about cool when it comes to a helmet! Better helmets are lighter and vented better for the hot weather!
My Roam has the Giant accessory kickstand that goes with the bike. You can see the two silver bolts that attach the kickstand. They go into two threaded holes in the frame.
Originally Posted by travbikeman
To me, kickstands are essential. Helps when there are panniers or other items on the bike just to put the kickstand down.

I like how Giant did that with the Roam though. They definitely know their target audience!
thanks for all the input guys. So Trek has their own Bontrager Integrated Kickstand. It looks almost identical to HOKIEFYD's stand on his giant. So I've definitely decided that I want a kickstand, preferably integrated for a cleaner look. However the review for this stand are not that great. Granted there are only like 7. But I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this stand and if I should go with a more well reviewed one that's not integrated. It does of course come with their unconditional guarantee so it's not like I can't replace don't the road if it breaks.. But the few reviews I found online suggest it doesn't do well with panniers, which I imagine I'll eventually get one.. Here is the link if you don't mind taking a look...
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...stand/p/00317/

thanks for any and all help! Really making this process a pleasant one, really appreciate it!
Old 07-24-18, 06:34 PM
hokiefyd 

I'd buy the Bontrager one without hesitation. It has a lifetime guarantee on it and you can get a replacement if it breaks. I will say that the Giant one seems well-engineered. The spring seems fine on it (as you can see in the photo above, I take the bike on mild single track, and the kickstand never bounces around). It's also adjustable -- it's a telescoping design where the lower plastic section can slide up and down over the aluminum "pole", and there's a clicker-ratchet thing that sets that height. So you can adjust for different tire sizes, how much you want the bike to lean, etc.

They look close in concept...both kickstands use two bolts on the frame. I wonder if you could use a Giant one on a Trek frame -- I wonder if it would solidly mount to the frame (or if the bolt holes would even line up).
Old 07-25-18, 03:21 AM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd buy the Bontrager one without hesitation. It has a lifetime guarantee on it and you can get a replacement if it breaks. I will say that the Giant one seems well-engineered. The spring seems fine on it (as you can see in the photo above, I take the bike on mild single track, and the kickstand never bounces around). It's also adjustable -- it's a telescoping design where the lower plastic section can slide up and down over the aluminum "pole", and there's a clicker-ratchet thing that sets that height. So you can adjust for different tire sizes, how much you want the bike to lean, etc.

They look close in concept...both kickstands use two bolts on the frame. I wonder if you could use a Giant one on a Trek frame -- I wonder if it would solidly mount to the frame (or if the bolt holes would even line up).
so I called the shop were I'll be picking up my bike. Funny enough, I finally make the decision to go for the stand, and the guy essentially said.. " wait you want a kickstand? Are you sure? I mean that's rare, if any at all have them on that type of bike..I mean I can order for you if you want" I was like umm oookk? Asked him about the Giant kickstand, he suggested I stick to Treks brand. So I went ahead and had him order that to be put on once my bike is built. I'll look in the mean time and see if I can find some info on the Giant stand as it sounds stronger. Bit of a bummer. Oh well, I want one 😋
Old 07-25-18, 04:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Best modifications I've made to my FX 3 have been the Raceface Chester platform pedals, and to get the adapter necessary to put bar ends on the Isozone handlebars. $12 for the adapter, with the bar ends, this is a pretty great road bike.
Old 07-25-18, 06:17 AM
hokiefyd 

the guy essentially said.. " wait you want a kickstand? Are you sure? I mean that's rare, if any at all have them on that type of bike..I mean I can order for you if you want" I was like umm oookk?
I guess he lays his bike down on the ground when he stops riding, like the rest of the cool kids.

I doubt the Giant kickstand would fit a Trek, and vice-versa. I suggested that on the off-chance that your bike shop sold both brands, and stocked both kickstands, and you could compare. I am surprised that they don't stock the Bontrager one.
Old 07-25-18, 12:08 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Best modifications I've made to my FX 3 have been the Raceface Chester platform pedals, and to get the adapter necessary to put bar ends on the Isozone handlebars. $12 for the adapter, with the bar ends, this is a pretty great road bike.
Thanks for the response! Crazy you mention that pedal. I've been looking at various pedals and those keep popping up for their price, quality and color options. If you could give me your opinion on them I would really appreciate it, especially since you have the same bike! Firstly what color did you get and what color is your FX 3? I ask bc my FX will be the black matte with the red accents and I was looking at the red chesters online, unfortunately can't tell if they would match or not? Hopefully I can find them in a store so I can see what the true color is. Second, regarding the pins on the pedal..I've read that these can destroy your leg lol. If you hadn't read above I'm a complete noob to biking so I'm unaware of if it's normal to have pins like these on a non MTB bike and wha not. Debating if I want to get pedals right out the gate or ride on the stock ones for a month or so and see how I feel. Lastly regarding the adapter and bar ends, I think I know what your referring to, do you have a link to the exact ones you got? I think I'll eventually want to get them but I think further down the road after I get some good riding in and feel comfortable on the road so to speak. Sorry for the long response lol. But any and all help is much appreciated!!
Old 07-25-18, 12:13 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess he lays his bike down on the ground when he stops riding, like the rest of the cool kids.

I doubt the Giant kickstand would fit a Trek, and vice-versa. I suggested that on the off-chance that your bike shop sold both brands, and stocked both kickstands, and you could compare. I am surprised that they don't stock the Bontrager one.
haha, what I was thinking. Too cool for school that guy I tell ya XD
but the shop doesn't sell giant. Trek seems to be their main one. I guess I wasn't too surprised since I already had thought many people don't buy them from what my initial understanding was lol but yeah, when I looked on treks site, most shops around me had them but not the one I'm getting it at. Maybe they are undercover bike snobs?
Old 07-26-18, 05:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Thanks for the response! Crazy you mention that pedal. I've been looking at various pedals and those keep popping up for their price, quality and color options. If you could give me your opinion on them I would really appreciate it, especially since you have the same bike! Firstly what color did you get and what color is your FX 3? I ask bc my FX will be the black matte with the red accents and I was looking at the red chesters online, unfortunately can't tell if they would match or not? Hopefully I can find them in a store so I can see what the true color is. Second, regarding the pins on the pedal..I've read that these can destroy your leg lol. If you hadn't read above I'm a complete noob to biking so I'm unaware of if it's normal to have pins like these on a non MTB bike and wha not. Debating if I want to get pedals right out the gate or ride on the stock ones for a month or so and see how I feel. Lastly regarding the adapter and bar ends, I think I know what your referring to, do you have a link to the exact ones you got? I think I'll eventually want to get them but I think further down the road after I get some good riding in and feel comfortable on the road so to speak. Sorry for the long response lol. But any and all help is much appreciated!!
The pedals are great on the road, nice and big, and your feet only move when you want them to. I've had the pins hit the back of my bare calves, and frankly I barely noticed. No scratches, no pain. The metal part of the stock pedals actually caused me more pain. I'm the wrong person for color advice because I have some red green color-blindness, but I bought blue for my shiny black 2017 FX3.
Here's the link to the adapter:
https://www.trekbikestore.com/product/bontrager-satellite-isozone-bar-end-adapter-242373-1.htm
Old 07-26-18, 11:12 AM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pedals are great on the road, nice and big, and your feet only move when you want them to. I've had the pins hit the back of my bare calves, and frankly I barely noticed. No scratches, no pain. The metal part of the stock pedals actually caused me more pain. I'm the wrong person for color advice because I have some red green color-blindness, but I bought blue for my shiny black 2017 FX3.
Here's the link to the adapter:
https://www.trekbikestore.com/produc...r-242373-1.htm
thanks for the response! I think I'm sold on the chesters. with regards to the pins, can you adjust how much they stick out or are they just whichever way they come? Did you buy them online or in store? Trying to find best price. Found some knock offs essentially on Amazon but not sure I'd wanna to start down that path lol. As for the adapter, looking at the page I'm a bit confused. Is that simply for a bracket to then hold additional bars you have to purchase, clamp style I believe it says? If so is their a particular one for this bike? Lastly, and again thank you so much for your help! But was just wondering if you have any additional accessories for your fx 3 that's worth looking into..thanks!!!
Old 07-26-18, 09:18 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
!
Ok guys so my bike is coming in tomorrow and should be ready by Saturday. I talked with the shop some more on pricing and what not, and wanted to lay it out for y'all (apologies I'm from Texas XD) so you can let me know what you think, if you don't mind that is..if it's a good deal or not, opinions, really any thoughts on it! etc. thanks for all of the input thus far. Really appreciate it!!

- 2019 Trek FX 3. Black matte with red accents
- Bontrager Quantum MIPS helmet in black
- Bontrager Integrated Kickstand
​​​​​​- Bontrager Bottle Cage either matte black or red
- Race Face Chester Pedals in red

TOTAL out the Door - $694

I can also add the Bontrager Duotrap S+ sensor for an extra 25-30 bucks. Not sure if I need that yet, I do love tracking stats with just about everything I do, so if I understand what this does..could be cool..has anyone used one of these?

Anyways that about wraps it up. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. As always, thank you!!

-Matthew
Old 07-27-18, 04:27 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like the Duotrap S, one senor does both jobs fits the frame no extra wires or straps nice and clean. But the sensor alone does nothing you need a head unit. I have the Trip 300 it's a good basic unit fits their built in mount so again clean no rubber band or straps. I got both together for around $90
...might as well get the red bottle holders

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 07-27-18 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 04:36 AM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Duotrap S, one senor does both jobs fits the frame no extra wires or straps nice and clean. But the sensor alone does nothing you need a head unit. I have the Trip 300 it's a good basic unit fits their built in mount so again clean no rubber band or straps.
....might as well go red for the bottle holder!
thanks for the response! So regarding the sensor needing a head unit. I was under the impression you could use your phone and connect via an app, is that incorrect? I'll check out the CPU your referring to. When you say it fits in their built in mount, are you referring to Trek's BLENDR system? Or something else? Sorry noob here XD. And with regards to the bottle holder, I need to see it on the bike that's for sure. I'm crazy OCD so I want the colors to flow well. So with bike being black and red accents..I was either gonna do the red pedals, black holder, and then red bottle...or red pedals, red holder, and black bottle. Ahhh first world problems lol. I'm just not sure if I had the red pedals and red bottle holder if it'd be too much ? What do you think? Thanks for any and all help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.