Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

40 push-ups = new stress test; discuss

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

40 push-ups = new stress test; discuss

Old 03-01-19, 10:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu

no doubt. Sadly i’m Already doing 2 days between Don’t tell anyone
Ah. Then you have a problem. Well then do them every day, but a lot fewer. We tell riders to up their weekly mileage by no more than 10%/week. Even that gets out of hand very quickly. Start low, ease up.

So maybe a long term strategy. The 100 thing is very short term. As it is said, it takes 7 years of hard training to develop full aerobic fitness. Another thing - it's fairly easy to run into shoulder impingement issues doing only a single motion exercise like pushups or benches. Pullups, not, because you're hanging. And like someone said, keep your elbows more by your sides, not sticking out at 90°.
Old 03-03-19, 07:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I can do 50 push ups- just checked to make sure that's still true- took a minute fifteen.

But it's not much of a test of anything, just something that I happened to build up to,

& not hard to maintain once it's there.
Old 03-03-19, 07:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
This got me back into doing a few pushups a day throughout the day, not part of a "workout," just to get my upper body back into decent shape. I've noticed it's helping on bike rides -- I can support my upper body more easily, less tiring, less neck cramping on chipseal and rough pavement.

Even when I was in top shape I could never do 73 year old Jack Palance one-arm pushups. He was a bad, bad man.

When I was in Navy boot camp we had a guy who could do one-arm pullups -- no assist from the other arm. I've never seen anything like it before or since. I've seen many folks claim they can do one-arm pullups, but then they'll use their free hand to assist by grabbing the other wrist or forearm. Not this guy. He was a stealth badass. Looked like Matthew Modine in Full Metal Jacket, but hard as a rock. About halfway through boot camp he got bored, got a call from an ocean based oil rig company offering to hire him for a lot of money, so he claimed he lied about drugs on this entrance exam, claimed he'd done a buttload of LSD, etc. Frankly I thought he was one of the sanest, best adjusted young guys I'd met. Low key, low drama, the kind of guy you'd want on your side in a fight. Anyway, off he went back to the real world to make money.

That's not rare among climbers, including one-arm, one-finger pull ups.
Old 03-03-19, 10:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've never watched any serious climbers. No mountains here, just a few climbing gyms. Wouldn't surprise me if some guys could do one arm pullups, especially the lighter guys.

When I say I've never seen other people doing one-arm pullups, I mean in person. It's not uncommon among highly trained amateur and professional athletes, notably gymnasts. But every time I've seen someone else claim he could do one arm pullups, it was always assisted by the other arm.
Old 03-04-19, 06:56 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Ah. Then you have a problem. Well then do them every day, but a lot fewer. We tell riders to up their weekly mileage by no more than 10%/week. Even that gets out of hand very quickly. Start low, ease up.

So maybe a long term strategy. The 100 thing is very short term. As it is said, it takes 7 years of hard training to develop full aerobic fitness. Another thing - it's fairly easy to run into shoulder impingement issues doing only a single motion exercise like pushups or benches. Pullups, not, because you're hanging. And like someone said, keep your elbows more by your sides, not sticking out at 90°.
Ten four. Thanks.