Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dangers from Coyotes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dangers from Coyotes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 08:45 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Geez all the time I've been touring I never carried spray, maybe I should start. Keep in mind that wild animals are not humans, they are smarter than humans at hunting, they surprise attack without any warning either visual or with noise, unlike humans who will first by approaching you and then start shouting at you and escalate from there, so its possible from what I've read that they will pounce on you before you know what's happening and therefore can't get to the spray in time. Domestic dogs aren't as smart as wild animals, they will visually chase you and bark the whole time giving you plenty of warning to grab your spray and fire. I also don't tour in the backcountry, I stay on roads and camp in parks mostly, sometimes fire stations will allow you to pitch a tent, city parks as well if you get permission, truck stops have no problem with me pitching a tent yet, occasionally I may have to stealth camp but it's rare, so in the places I camp an encounter with another wild animal would be rare, though I have had raccoons come up to the side of the tent sniffing my tent, and felt a nose once sniffing my head, I laughed because I thought it was funny, the raccoon didn't even care I was laughing, the thought of it attacking me never crossed my mind, am I stupid or what? I don't know, I just never been afraid of wildlife and wildlife has never attacked me. I've had deer on several occasions come to within 8 feet of me, we just look at each other, then it would casually walk off back to eating while I watched from a close distance of between 10 to 30 feet. I've been sleeping during the day outside and had birds land on me several times, waking me up, but then I would wake up and watch them, they then would reliaze something with eyes is looking at them and fly off; I've only had two species of birds do this so far, sparrows and bluejays. So where I tour my biggest threats are domestic dogs that people won't tie up even though by law their suppose too.
Old 03-24-19, 12:15 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I carry mine on my person most of the time, in case I get separated from the bike.
I do as well when in camp, usually in my jersey pocket, also trail run with a jersey for the same reason. Cell in one pocket, spray in the other. Riding I like to put it in a holster.

Greatscott, There's a lot of theorizing about how an animal might attack, response time etc... to which no one can really give a 100% answer. Every region is different and where I live and tour sights like this are not uncommon. While it might be assumed an animal may attack from behind there are also many documented cases of sustained frontal attacks that have lasted minutes wherein there was a lot of time for intervention. The best defense is always being proactive and avoiding confrontation and the odds are small but, in the unlikely event that I were set upon by a large predator, I would just curse myself as quite the stupid fool to have traveled into a predators home habitat alone and not having at least carried something small, portable and effective for my own defense.

Other potential threats not already mentioned I've come across while touring that gave me a moment of pause more than thoughts of a coyote ever would were a mother Moose with calf, male Elk in rutting season and a bovine Bull on open grazing land.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-24-19 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 07:33 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
My neighborhood is like living near a zoo where they've left all the cage gates ajar! The coyotes are more elusive.

neighbor's field...

my back yard, say cheese! ...

Last edited by BobG; 03-24-19 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 09:39 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Cool pics! 👍 I'm in Ash Fork, Arizona now, and there's an Indian Trading Post here. Yesterday afternoon, I went in to look around (some cool turquoise there), and when I came out, a large crow flew VERY close to my head. I thought it was attacking me, lol, but the lady said, "That's just Edgar, saying hello". Then she gave him a big chunk of bagle, and he flew away a short way to eat it. 😁
I told her I get along well with birds in general, and especially crows, but that's the closest one ever came to me. I just know they like it, when you talk to them, and they'll keep answering you. 😎
Old 03-24-19, 04:33 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Cool pics! 👍 I'm in Ash Fork, Arizona now, and there's an Indian Trading Post here. Yesterday afternoon, I went in to look around (some cool turquoise there), and when I came out, a large crow flew VERY close to my head. I thought it was attacking me, lol, but the lady said, "That's just Edgar, saying hello". Then she gave him a big chunk of bagle, and he flew away a short way to eat it. 😁
I told her I get along well with birds in general, and especially crows, but that's the closest one ever came to me. I just know they like it, when you talk to them, and they'll keep answering you. 😎
Raven? Ravens look like big crows. Crows are usually in a large group.
Old 03-24-19, 05:29 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by BigAura
Raven? Ravens look like big crows. Crows are usually in a large group.
You're right, I should have said raven. But you made me do a search, and learn a bit more, so it's all good. 👍
Actually, ravens are VERY smart, and deserve the distinction from their lesser cousins, the crows. 🤔😎
Another member of the family that I really like, are the long-tailed blackbirds. those guys are very musical. 🙂
Old 03-24-19, 08:20 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
The local (Detroit) news had a news segment yesterday with video of a mature, healthy looking coyote in a Detroit neighborhood. Rattled residents called the police, the police call DNR types who drove up, then drove off suggesting "so?" Nice looking animal, hope it's left alone. Folks were advised to keep an eye on their pets.
I was at my brothers house in Detroit and he and I both saw one standing on a railroad track about 1/8th of mile from us in a industrial area.
Old 03-24-19, 08:24 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I do as well when in camp, usually in my jersey pocket, also trail run with a jersey for the same reason. Cell in one pocket, spray in the other. Riding I like to put it in a holster.

Greatscott, There's a lot of theorizing about how an animal might attack, response time etc... to which no one can really give a 100% answer. Every region is different and where I live and tour sights like this are not uncommon. While it might be assumed an animal may attack from behind there are also many documented cases of sustained frontal attacks that have lasted minutes wherein there was a lot of time for intervention. The best defense is always being proactive and avoiding confrontation and the odds are small but, in the unlikely event that I were set upon by a large predator, I would just curse myself as quite the stupid fool to have traveled into a predators home habitat alone and not having at least carried something small, portable and effective for my own defense.

Other potential threats not already mentioned I've come across while touring that gave me a moment of pause more than thoughts of a coyote ever would were a mother Moose with calf, male Elk in rutting season and a bovine Bull on open grazing land.

I hear you man, I think all the killings of humans by coyotes or cats were surprise attacks, the humans never saw them coming, a bear is more like us, because it's large it will just come at us. But just because those killings were sneak attacks doesn't mean they will always be that way, but so far they have been, but again attacks by coyotes and cats combined are far less than shark attacks, and those are rare, I have no reservations about swimming in the ocean.
Old 03-24-19, 09:19 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
A person that lives about 8 or 10 blocks from me saw a coyote a few days ago, just the other side of her 4' high fence (like my 4' high fence) while her two Yorkies were in the yard. I'm in Rhode Island. They're all over the place here. I think there's a den about 100 feet from the bike path about a mile from me. They look healthy.
Old 03-25-19, 05:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,534 Times in 7,328 Posts
The OP has been MIA for 2 weeks. Wonder if he met his fate at the paws of coyotes while posting from his hammock (or was it a tent, or both?) at 3 a.m. in the Sonoran dessert.
Old 03-25-19, 06:15 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts

Actually, ravens are VERY smart, and deserve the distinction from their lesser cousins, the crows. 🤔😎
Research has demonstrated that crows recognize individual human faces. We can't tell them apart. How smart an animal is considered to be depends on perspective.
Old 03-25-19, 06:30 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Nope. But it is a cool image.
Kinda cool. My daughter has three White West Highland Terriers named, Ramses, Osiris, and Horace.
Old 03-25-19, 04:27 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

What might it be ?, all I see is a top tube bag, a computer, an aero bar and something else that isn’t clear in the photo.
I thought he used the big red arrow to fend off the beasts.

FWIW, I saw the female yote a couple weeks ago for the first time in a month, and she was definitely going to have pups any day. She then showed up last night, and she was definitely nursing. Her mate also showed up at the same time (he turns up about every other night now), so I guess they decided it was safe to leave the pups alone in the den for a bit.

Ravens are normally very wary around people, but some are acclimated, especially in tourist spots. I've fed some wild ones in San Diego that would easily recognize me later, follow me to a MacDonalds, and then sit on the roof until I came out, then come down and land next to me.

Others in campgrounds along the coasts are also used to people. I would ride through San Onofre State Park in winter when it was closed to camping, and if I spotted the resident ravens flying by, I could wave at them and they'd come and land right in front of me to see what's up. The resident ravens at Torrey Pines State Beach are also "friendly", and I've had them come right up on the bench with me like a pigeon. I also saw one there carefully pick up a piece of kelp in its foot, then soar off and drop it on another raven sitting on a lifeguard tower, so they have a sense of humor. But the ones at the Grand and Bryce Canyon parks are also infamous for stealing campers' food, and even have learned to open zippers.

BTW, "long tailed blackbirds" are probably great-tailed grackles, which are not corvids. They are a tropical species which has spread north into the US with the help of human civilization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-tailed_grackle

Last edited by stevepusser; 03-25-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 08:07 PM
greatscott

Be careful with those crows, there is evidence to believe that they maybe smarter than your 5th grader and possibility even your 7th grader! And an octopus? don't even go there!
https://www.thoughtco.com/crows-are-...-think-4156896An Octopus learned how to unscrew a lid off a jar with just one demonstration by a human.

Animals are smarter then we think they are, sure a dog can't count and type etc, but they can do all sorts of other things we can't do like be trained to sniff out bombs and drugs, be trained to detect an epilepsy fit is about to occur in a human and warn them so they can take their meds, etc. Elephants morn their dead and even have a ritual for their dead; the list goes on, and we humans have only scratched the top of an iceberg in this area. They've even proven that plants communicate with other plants; https://www.theguardian.com/science/...gh-their-roots. Some insects can count and recognize human faces! https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...g-in-the-world
Old 03-26-19, 07:30 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
My advice? If you're sleeping outside, make sure the coyote is inside.
Old 03-27-19, 04:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Ha, fun stuff in this thread. 👍 I've been traveling (lots of walking, up mountains) through Northern Arizona lately, where there's no internet or phone. Now about 12 miles from Kingman, taking a break. 🙂
I heard even more coyotes last night than ever, around Truxton, and they were still yapping this morning, around 6:30 till 7:00.
And for extra fun, I almost slept on a prairie dog's hole last night, lol. 😁 I freaked out a bit this morning, thinking it might be a snake hole, but a prairie dog poked his head out, and cussed at me for getting too close. 🙄😁
Old 03-27-19, 06:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wow yay have fun!
Old 03-27-19, 06:38 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

You mean like the Thin Lizzy song? 😁😉
I've heard coyotes calling more times than I can count now, but the first time or two, it's a little unnerving. Wolves, on the other hand, don't sound very scary, but are supposed to be way more dangerous.
BTW, I'm still touring in Arizona, near Prescott now, so the coyote are pretty common. 😲
I hope they don't have a thing for corned beef, a lady gave me a huge baggy-ful of leftovers today. 😁😉
I can attest that they love it.
Old 03-27-19, 08:54 PM
greatscott

I'm thinking about getting a pet Roadrunner, that little bird will keep the Coyotes away.
Old 03-28-19, 09:43 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Hahaha, right after I posted yesterday, I found a Milwaukee cordless Sawzall, in it's case with the charger. 😎 I made sure it works, AFTER lugging it 12 miles into town, lol. But it's a $300 saw setup, so worth the trouble. Anyone in Kingman, and want to buy a sawzall? 😁
Old 03-28-19, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,534 Times in 7,328 Posts
Ha, fun stuff in this thread. 👍 I've been traveling (lots of walking, up mountains) through Northern Arizona lately, where there's no internet or phone.
Makes you wonder how the OP was able to binge post (at least once at 3 a.m. local time) while allegedly camping in the Sonoran Desert wilderness.
Old 03-28-19, 05:20 PM
greatscott

Hahaha, right after I posted yesterday, I found a Milwaukee cordless Sawzall, in it's case with the charger. 😎 I made sure it works, AFTER lugging it 12 miles into town, lol. But it's a $300 saw setup, so worth the trouble. Anyone in Kingman, and want to buy a sawzall? 😁
How well does it do against coyotes?
Old 03-28-19, 05:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
As long as you didn't get it from ACME...

Old 03-28-19, 05:33 PM
greatscott

Acme made some horrible stuff, i think the stuff came out of China, the Coyote would read the directions too but they always failed.
Old 03-28-19, 08:54 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
How well does it do against coyotes?
Name tells ya, SawzALL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.