Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I love the smell of urinal cake in the morning

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-08-19, 11:19 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's mostly a problem when I tour in my home state of PA. Wine and liquor sales are, for the most part, controlled by the state. "State Stores," as they are called, are few and far between in "Pennsyltucky." The ones you do find in the hinterlands are often only a open a few days/week. Under a new law that went into effect a year or two ago, a grocery store can get a license to sell beer and wine. Such stores are also rare outside of larger communities. Takeout beer is usually much easier to get, but beer is heavy, and I am not a big beer drinker. Makes me bloated.
Yeah, PA liquor/beer laws threw me when I rode the GAP a couple of years back. I kept stopping at grocery and convenient stores for beer, and they didn't have any. Just as well, I suppose. I had a couple stashed in my cooler that I had picked up in Ohio, and I drank the last one in Rockwood and was in Maryland the next day.
Old 03-08-19, 11:35 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
All of that. Rain can be a downer if it doesn't let up. When it's warm, a fleeting shower doesn't bother me. When it's not, it can ruin the day.

And I can't blame my boss, who never hassles me about when I take leave and how I use it, but I only have so much, which gets divided between some persistent, annual events and vacations with my wife, and as a result, I take shorter trips. Shorter trips require more rigid planning. I've had to make some creative changes to my plans a couple of times to get where I needed to when I needed to. Or I've had to ride right up to and beyond dark to make mf goals. By the time I'm getting into the groove of the trip, it's time to head back. I need to plan shorter days, but then I feel like I haven't gone anywhere.

Or, of course, I need to plan longer trips where I can be more flexible about how much a ride, but a longer trip keeps me from home longer.

I will say that I generally sleep okay unless there are extenuating circumstances, like really bad weather or some unplanned stealth camping in a questionable location. Other than that, if I've biked all day and got my hammock set up comfortably, I can sleep pretty well. Sometimes it seems like I sleep better than at home.
Old 03-09-19, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18327 Post(s)
Liked 15,307 Times in 7,234 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I had a couple stashed in my cooler that I had picked up in Ohio, and I drank the last one in Rockwood and was in Maryland the next day.
If you ever ride it again, there is a bar/restaurant in the east end of Rockwood that sells takeout beer.
Old 03-09-19, 12:32 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't get the title of this post.
Old 03-09-19, 12:59 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2733 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
its a take on a line from the film, "Apocalypse Now".
A pretty whacked film about a pretty whacked war.

and an aversion to those whatsit thingees that we pee onto that are put in urinals to combat smell I imagine, they look like a hockey puck, sort of (what can I say, I'm Canadian eh)
Old 03-09-19, 02:48 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I have found that my 2-4 day mini tours are always solo as none of my friends and family are into cycling like I am and those that could potentially could accompany me aren’t available when I am. That being said a few sips of whisky or a few beers in front of the campfire help being alone feel less lonely. One time I had a few too many and I the next morning I realized how miserable, unproductive and counterintuitive it was.
I relish the alone time, I'm never lonely. I once went almost a whole day without talking to anyone. Great to dial down the hum and bustle of life. Unplug. Get in tune with the wildlife and sunrise/sunset. I'm a pretty chatty guy, the loaded bike is always a conversation starter. Follow your nose for lunch or dinner. On my last trip I stopped at a campground for directions, found out my destination was closed. They had $ 20 overflow tent sites, hot tub/pool/showers/laundry. Plus it was grilled corn night, 2/buck. Winning.
Old 03-09-19, 02:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Old 03-09-19, 09:49 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My job is the biggest inhibition.

Else it's the worrying over making whatever goal I set myself for each day, whether it be a destination, sight to see, what have you. When I'm already out there I tend to not worry as much.
Old 03-10-19, 06:44 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Bad bumpy narrow roads and headwinds kill my spirit. Inability to find a place to camp is a downer. Back in the day when I rode my motorcycle on long tours, I could just sleep on a park bench or a picnic table for the night. Those days are gone. I'm older and more paranoid now.
Old 03-10-19, 09:27 AM
djb

hey there NC, did you see my p.m?
Old 03-10-19, 10:33 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by djb
hey there NC, did you see my p.m?
Sure did. I answered it too... at least it seemed like I did... I'll just send you a PM.
Old 03-12-19, 05:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Sometimes having to ride for long distances on heavy traffic, no shoulder roads. Or even those with shoulders. Don't like it. As long as the route is on low-traffic roads, it's fine. We sleep well, don't drink, and enjoy each other's company. And only have the one bike, so we can't get separated or have to deal with all the stuff associated with two or more bikes trying to ride together.
Old 03-13-19, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Funny how someone who commented here has never toured.
Old 03-13-19, 03:51 PM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Funny how someone who commented here has never toured.
I've lost track on here, who?
Old 03-13-19, 03:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

He's been claiming this (falsely) about me for several years now. Just ignore the trolling.

Of all the things to make up, I would think bike touring experience would be pretty low in the fake credentials category.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 03-13-19 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 05:12 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by djb
I've lost track on here, who?
Exactly.
Old 03-13-19, 05:14 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by wgscott
He's been claiming this (falsely) about me for several years now. Just ignore the trolling.

Of all the things to make up, I would think bike touring experience would be pretty low in the fake credentials category.
Some people have a weird sense of propriety and prejudice concerning supposed posers. Brush it off, WG.
Old 03-13-19, 05:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I've always been WYSIWYG to the point of recklessness.

(OK, maybe not with the avatar.)
Old 03-13-19, 07:35 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I didn't want to hijack another thread that seemed on the brink of going in this direction, so ...

What do you find are the most inhibitory aspects of bike touring (i.e., things that make you think twice about doing it), and what are your coping strategies?

(For me, it is insomnia. I seem incapable of getting a decent night's sleep, which gradually grinds me down over the course of a long trip.)
There was this previous thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum,
“What do you find hardest about cycle touring now we aint spring chickens any more?”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Last year, I avidly read the posts on BF about a perimeter tour of Lake Ontario, and I experienced some surprising mental discomfort that struck me as a sign of getting older.

While I would still enjoy riding about 50 miles a day for an extended trip, the thought of the uncertainty of finding a place to stay for the night was unsettling.

(Our previous tours were all self-supported and self-guided. If I/we were to resume touring, it would at least be a credit card style, if not an organized tour.) On that honeymoon though, finding a place to stay was a memorable part of the adventure:

I guess 30 years of a stable, predictable cycle-commuting lifestyle erodes that exhilaration of the uncertainty.…
Originally Posted by missjean
Sleep. For the first time, we had a sag wagon this year when we did a tour of Niagara Falls & Canada. We did a combo of B&B's and camping, and because we had the sag, I could bring a nice thick foam sleeping pad for camping.

It worked out great. I had just resigned myself to not getting much sleep on tours anymore because sleeping on the ground was causing me hip pain….
and apropos the title of this thread:
Originally Posted by DougG
What killed it for me, besides the normal hassles of camping, was having to get up, get semi-dressed, and stumble out of the tent at 2AM trying to find the porta-john because I had to pee.

I took to not drinking anything after about 6PM to avoid having to do this more than once a night! Add "in the rain" to that a couple times and I knew my tour/camp days were over….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-13-19 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 08:39 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

A medium-sized gatorade bottle (empty) takes care of the midnight pizzing dilemma for this ol' fella.
Old 03-13-19, 09:30 PM
djb

Originally Posted by NoControl
A medium-sized gatorade bottle (empty) takes care of the midnight pizzing dilemma for this ol' fella.
Even in a downpour, the empty bottle trick in the vestibule still works dandy.
It's still better than having to go out in the rain.
Old 03-14-19, 06:20 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I hope (& assume) you guys properly dispose of the pee & the bottle --> separately. When I see pee-bottles tossed on the side of the road, from truckers(?), I ask myself --> can someone be more self-centered.

Last edited by BigAura; 03-14-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 06:37 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Yes. Poop bottles, since they would be really difficult and unpleasant to empty prior to recycling.
Old 03-14-19, 06:41 AM
indyfabz

I wasn't referring to you. And if you remember Squeezebox and BT Hobo you will remember that it's high on the list of some.
Old 03-14-19, 10:19 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I love the time I get to spend living on a bike. I've done a couple month-long solo tours and a few week-ish ones since I got into it in 2016. The only thing that gives me slight pause is the time I spend not working. I'm self-employed. So when I'm touring, I'm not earning. I've only got about 15 years of working left in me, so one could argue I should be saving for retirement. I guess really though, I'm not waiting. I'm going on a freind's advice. He said you should retire early and often.

As for the hardest part of being out there, for me, it's that there aren't enough hours in a day. I love the time in the saddle the best and don't usually want to stop, but am forced to by the sun going down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.