Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My childhood friend is riding his bicycle from Jacksonville, Florida to Alaska

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My childhood friend is riding his bicycle from Jacksonville, Florida to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 06:04 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
30-40 percent of the US food supply is wasted. Dumpsters contain a lot of good food. The problem is sorting out the good stuff many not be healthy.
Old 03-12-19, 06:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I watched a movie entitled America Recycled. It was about two brothers who cycled from Florida to the west coast eating roadkill and eating out of dumpsters. It was quite the exercise in bohemianism.
I got thru about half of that. I stopped when they were somewhere in TN and had been there for months due to snow or something.
It was an interesting story, but moved way too slowly for me to want to pick it back up the following night.

The social/personal connections were interesting, but they made that too much of the story for me.

Its almost as if they actively tried to get bikes that while being the correct type on face value, were the least traditionally prepared bikes for the task too.
Old 03-12-19, 08:37 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Need a Passport to get across the CDN border these days(?) , + with electronic records your past will be judged and your misdeeds may have you denied entry.. ...
You are very likely to be asked if you have any money, credit cards, etc. Don't know how sticky they are about this, but it would be prudent to have a good answer before you are asked.
Old 03-12-19, 08:46 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Maybe the guy will become the next Iohan Gueorguiev.

Bike Wanderer

He started in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and 4.5 years later has made it to Argentina.

His video's are worth watching.

-Tim-
Iohan started on the Dempster highway from Inuvik in the NWT, although he later did Alaska. He has done a lot of side trips so it doesn't fit neatly into a point to point journey. Although Iohan does rely on sponsor ship, he also returned to Canada last summer and went tree planting to earn money. I think he has an Engineering degree, but I don't think he has ever practised.
Old 03-12-19, 11:20 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Legal in some U.S. states. For example, if you hit a deer, elk moose or antelope in Montana you may harvest it within certain rules, including no roadside dressing. If you think about it, it makes sense. Saves the state clean up costs.
Probably was the fact that he picked up a squirrel from the road that looked like it had been there for some days. I am not squeamish about meat, just unknown meat (health-wise)
Old 03-13-19, 01:17 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevepusser
I watched a couple of the latest videos, since he was passing through the area of central California where I grew up (and walked across the muddy Santa Maria River bed instead of being able to find the separated bike path on the bridge above him to which he had been directed).
I ride that section out of Lompoc to Orcutt (Harris Grade) from time to time. That's no short cut.

I don't think I'd rode up the Cuesta Grade in the dark.
Old 03-13-19, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Probably was the fact that he picked up a squirrel from the road that looked like it had been there for some days. I am not squeamish about meat, just unknown meat (health-wise)
That's just wrong. Hoping it was a stunt and that he didn't really eat it.
Old 03-13-19, 08:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I have a pair of twin brothers for dear friends. They rode across the US twice on $5. They still argue about who ordered the coffee. They also rode the Divide Trail north to south and then Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego, all of that on essentially no money. They dumpster dove, worked a little here and there, but mostly just rode their bikes..

Patagonia - yes those are raw ribs. Gotta eat something.

Old 03-13-19, 08:42 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I'm not worthy.
Old 03-13-19, 09:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
John McPhee has a true story in one of his books about a couple of ecologists in Georgia who were given the task of estimating animal populations by counting roadkill. If they found a nice one in good shape, they took it home and ate it. They gave the left-overs to their beetles, fed the beetles to their snakes and the snakes to their falcon. Real ecologists. My wife and I still shout out "DOR!" (dead on road). We don't eat meat though, so we're not tempted. On bike rides I mostly find wrenches, sockets, knives, that kind of thing.
Old 03-14-19, 12:21 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
He's gotta eat at some point. Is he doing odd jobs or something?
He's got that personality/vibe that people just want to help.

I'll be honest, I'm really enjoying these videos.

Anybody got a comment on him and the flats? Wonder if my Schwalbe Marathons will stand up better than what he's using..
Old 03-14-19, 09:12 AM
e5usmc
Leisure Time Practitioner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every person has a right to pursue their happiness and live their own life as they want to live it so long it doesn’t harm others and/or trample the rights of others pursuit of their own “happiness”

I wish him well and safe travels and if I see him along the way I just may share half my Clif Bar with him (after I bite off the first half)
Old 03-14-19, 10:23 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
On bike rides I mostly find wrenches, sockets, knives, that kind of thing.

More to the point of this thread, food is available on the road (literally). Maybe it is a southern hospitality thing. Not my photo.

-Tim-
Old 03-14-19, 05:00 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I cycled with a couple of Mexican guys in Baja who were traveling with no money. They would just tell people their story, that they were trying to get from one part of Mexico to another, and ask if they could spare anything. If people couldn't, or didn't want to, they said no and my friends moved on to. No big deal on either side. One of them was carrying a traditional drum, and would busk for coins when they were in a town big enough where that would work. Farther south I met loads of South Americans traveling very cheaply as well, some of them busking, some of them making and selling bracelets, some of them working cash jobs for a short time before moving on. It's much more common in these places for people to travel like this, where in America we often have this kind of visceral negative reaction to it. If you're not making a nuisance of yourself, and people are willing to help you out, I have no problem with it.
Old 03-14-19, 10:07 PM
Rollingthru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida to Alaska

Cool. If he makes it up here to Alaska tell him to contact rollingthru for a hot shower and a place to stay! I’m an old guy but I can still drink beer...

it it took my wife and I $6,000 dollars to go one way across the U.S. Met one touring dude that sleeps in cemeteries to save money. These types of bicycle touring people are my heroes!!! More power to em.

Last edited by Rollingthru; 03-16-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 10:27 PM
CraigMBA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanBell
If you're not making a nuisance of yourself, and people are willing to help you out, I have no problem with it.
Likewise. He's not bugging anyone. I think it's a rad story. Had I known about this when he was passing through our neck of the woods, I'd of offered to help.
Old 03-28-19, 02:04 PM
CraigMBA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, he got to Santa Cruz, picked up some construction work, and with the extra cash, managed to buy some beers, get drunk, arrested, lose the job, and lose his bike to the SCPD for three days.

He's moved on, past the riding past the Golden Gate bridge in his most recent video.

Old 03-29-19, 05:37 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMBA
...managed to buy some beers, get drunk, arrested, lose the job, and lose his bike to the SCPD for three days.

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
He's moved on, past the riding past the Golden Gate bridge in his most recent video.
Old 03-29-19, 09:30 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
Hes counting on registering on forums such as this, tugging at heart strings and getting donations. Its the new digital panhandling. I mean seriously, the op registered here just to post this. Don’t be a sucker.
Exactly. I'm living on disability (SSDI, the one for people who get hurt at work, not a "crazy check", lol), and I've never panhandled. I've eaten at soup kitchens and missions a few times, but mostly just live within my means. Some folks just can't figure that part out. 🙄
Old 03-30-19, 09:55 PM
stevepusser

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura

Watched the drunk video. The people at the store where he was disturbing the peace gave him many warnings. In vino, veritas.
I suppose the cops in Northern California have had it up to here with that kind of act.
Maybe he'll be happy when he reaches his stoner Mecca, Garberville.
Old 03-31-19, 01:09 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Pursue happiness...Sure, but begging, panhandling, bumming off others, or a relying patrons, whatever you want to call it to pay ones way is not one of life’s finer attributes. (Proper planning prevents piss poor performance). If he is able bodied enough to pedal, maybe he can work like the rest of us and save $$$$, and maybe then pursue his cycling dreams. There is just no free stuff.

With no money or savings it appears to be a very very foolish endeavor and likely a short trip that won’t end well.
Me thinks Wes the Wizard is going get seriously schooled if he rides the Alcan highway, it can be very brutal.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-31-19 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-31-19, 08:00 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Any respect I had for the guy just went out the window. Public drunkenness and drug consumption, arrest and jail time? Accepting rides from friends? Sorry, but this is looking more like a homeless person leaching off the good will of others. Good luck with the rest of the trip. The hard part is coming up. Hopefully his equipment is up to the task. Hopefully his plan succeeds. But at this point, I’d put my money on failure. Sure, he’ll get to Alaska, but probably in the back of a pickup truck.
Old 03-31-19, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Any respect I had for the guy just went out the window. Public drunkenness and drug consumption, arrest and jail time? Accepting rides from friends? Sorry, but this is looking more like a homeless person leaching off the good will of others.
+1. And on top of all it is the self-indulgence and self-aggrandizement.
Old 03-31-19, 12:22 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. And on top of all it is the self-indulgence and self-aggrandizement.
Self-indulgence. Is that like when you can afford peanut butter AND jelly, at the same time? 🤔😁
Old 03-31-19, 03:13 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Maybe he meant self-absorption. It’s a bit over the top. How many people does he tell his “story” to to get a handout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.