Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" Long Haul Trucker on gravel

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

26" Long Haul Trucker on gravel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 09:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks for the advice. But I looked at my rear racks (I am undecided which rack to use this year) and both might not work well with that deflector shield. Those rear light brackets that Tubus and Racktime weld on the back would interfere and I do not want to cut those brackets off. So, considering other options. As a reminder, I could not get fenders into my S&S case for my last trip, fenders stayed at home. So, I am looking for an option that will fit in my luggage.

I know a guy that has an old mountain bike as a commuter. A few weeks ago I saw he had added some fenders, two front fenders. Yup, a front fender on the rear, it was pretty obvious that the fender on the rear was a front fender when the front end of the fender only extended half way from the seatstay bridge down to the chainstay bridge. He said they were only $5 each at a local bike charity.

That got me to thinking that I might be able to fit two front fenders into my luggage where a rear did not fit, that is the option I am now considering. I have a bit over two months to decide what to do. And if that does not work, then likely to zip tie on some Coroplast in the back. I already have one used front fender that I plan to use.

Thanks again. I still plan to stop at that MEC store for stove fuel, the internet says they have the Deflector in stock, so it still might end up being a plan B.
understand about that light bracket, same one on my tubus. I figure its worth having something on the seat downtube to stop crud going on the fd, and I guess you could compromise with a much shorter second one under the rack, cut it short or whatever, so it at least stops muck from going on the bottom of the rack, but have it end at the light bracket.
Or maybe you could go the ugly route, and bodge it somehow under the bracket a bit if you see it would be better to extend past the end of the rack. Or have it angle down a bit towards the tire from the bracket??

On my old mtb, there are two back there, and they do overlap somewhere, so its easy to overlap more or cut one. Zip ties are very resistant also, mine are the originals when I put them on, and have lasted all these years.

the Deflectors strong point is how tough they are, so mucking about and forcing them over stuff could work, and they are very very light and thin, but as you say, you have options.
Old 03-22-19, 11:13 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Can you fit 2" tires ? Or wider?
I have 26 x 2" Marathon Mondials on my 2016 Surly DT and there's still plenty of clearance. The bike could take a much wider tire, but I've got the widest finders that will fit in the frame and these 2" tires pretty much fill the fender out. So if the OP went lager than a 2" tire, things could get messy in the wet.

I've ridden from Bend, OR, out to the coast down to SF, up over Yosemite, Mono Lake, down the Owens Valley, across Death Valley, Las Vegas, Lake Mead, up into UT and down to the Grand Canyon with this set up. Some of that was on gravel. And although I wouldn't say it was Cadillac comfortable, I always felt safe and sure-footed; never like the bike was out of its element.
Old 03-22-19, 02:25 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
My buddy has a Surly Disc Trucker, 26 inch wheels/tires. We rode a gravel event last year and he commented a couple of times he wished he had a lighter bike. more specifically... "remind me next time to buy a lighter bike." He's half kidding. Of course another bike is in his future, some day. But he loves his DT. Carries racks front and back, uses rear panniers the most. He is car-less, and rides it everywhere in all weather, and has taken a couple of bike packing trips. And he just upgraded to hydraulic brakes.

But it's a heavy bike compared to many other offerings.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 03-22-19, 07:05 PM
kidadam

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I ordered a set of Continental traffic 2.1 because I found a great price online and figured they are worth a shot for 60cad delivered.

Im not sure what fenders to fit given that size of tire but I have a set of old (and rusty) metal fenders from the 80s that I may try. I’m not they’ll fit the traffic tire (currently fit the stock tires).
Old 03-22-19, 07:43 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
Im not sure what fenders to fit given that size of tire...
I generally want a fender that is at least 10 mm wider than the width of the tire. If your 2.1 tires are for example 55mm wide, I would be lookign for a fender that is 65mm wide or wider. I am not sure if I have ever seen a fender wider than 65mm, but I do have some 65mm fenders on one of my bikes that I usually use 50 to 57 mm wide tires. The 57 mm tires need to have the fenders adjusted nearly perfectly to avoid the stays rubbing on them as there is very little clearance..

Another one of my bikes has 60mm wide fenders, I usually use 40mm wide tires but have done a couple tours with 50mm wide tires.

But, before you order any 65mm wide fenders, measure your frame and fork clearance at the fork crown and the seatstay bridge to make sure that it can take the width.
Old 03-23-19, 05:35 AM
kidadam

Thanks for the info

From surly’s website:
Clearance for 26” x 2.1” tires with or without fenders (26” platform)

I’ve been looking into Velo Orange - they make a 60mm but maybe bigger is possible if I contact them.
Old 03-23-19, 07:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
Thanks for the info

From surly’s website:
Clearance for 26” x 2.1” tires with or without fenders (26” platform)

I’ve been looking into Velo Orange - they make a 60mm but maybe bigger is possible if I contact them.
Some tires run narrower than the specifications suggest, others can run wider.

And the fender stays on some fenders are a bit wider apart from the tire sidewall than on some other fenders. If you contact Velo Orange, you might want to specifically tell them the model of the tire you are looking at and ask them for an opinion on fit. Or, if you might at some other time consider a wider tire, ask them about that too.
Old 03-23-19, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some tires run narrower than the specifications suggest, others can run wider.
+1. The Conti Top Turing IIs that I ride are marked as 35c, but their true size is 37c.
Old 03-23-19, 08:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
and this often is because of the rim width , which can affect how the tire's shape it, and therefore its width.
As I've mentioned often, my 2in 50mm Supremes measure to 45mm on my Troll's rims, which are not stock rims, and must have a narrower rim width which makes the tire shape slightly narrower than a wider rim.
Old 03-23-19, 06:22 PM
kidadam

It may not be the fastest drop bar or the best over lander but it’s certainly capable of going anywhere.

Last edited by kidadam; 03-23-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 06:27 PM
kidadam

On the hill

Last edited by kidadam; 03-23-19 at 06:31 PM.