Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 01-29-18, 06:25 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2017 Motobecane Lurch, 2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@mr_bill very jealous of you getting to explore a foreign local on 2 wheels. Looks a lot safer than trying to do the same in Flushing, NY of which I almost mistook some of these photos for, if it wasn't for the bike infrastructure that is.

Keep them coming. How is the humidity out there at street level?
Old 01-29-18, 06:29 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
This is not a thorough street.
I see what you did there Sounds like a fun ride, was it ice or water/mud that was making the Bruce Freeman impassable?
Old 01-29-18, 10:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by anx
I see what you did there Sounds like a fun ride, was it ice or water/mud that was making the Bruce Freeman impassable?
He! A not thorough street is one where they didn't build the other end.

The Bruce Freeman was impassble because of ice. I should mention that people were managing to jog at least parts of it. They seemed to be staying vertical too.
Old 02-01-18, 06:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
cold rain before sunrise, then snow 1-3" & a flash freeze. please tell me how it is to ride thru if you do. sounds absolutely horrible
Old 02-03-18, 01:09 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Boy it was cold out there on this February Saturday morning. I was going to take a pass on riding today after looking at the weather forecast but by 11am it had warmed up to a balmy 20f so I decided to check out the Arlington bike path conditions but ended up only doing an 11 mile loop with the cold breeze putting me off from going further and the worsening conditions on the path as I went.

Between Alewife and Arlington center conditions are good, a few minor ice patches that can be easily avoided, but heading north out of the center towards Trade Joe's there was several sketchy patches that as long as you stay straight and take it easy you should be able to pass on a road bike or hybrid, I did ok but it was a 'rush' at points! Stay warm out there!

Mystic River bikepath conditions are good

Alewife greenway path has some sketch patches but passable

Alewife to Arlington Center is all clear

Spypond ice fishing in the distance

Icy Icy as you head north from Arlington Center

Old 02-03-18, 04:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

@anx, I doff my helmet to you! It was cold today. My sweetie and I walked the Concord Great Meadows Wildlife Sanctuary trails again. For 20deg it really felt cold.
Old 02-04-18, 08:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Lowell Rd thru Concord Ctr. out of towners always make these intersections interesting

Old 02-04-18, 08:54 AM
rumrunn6

My sweetie and I walked the Concord Great Meadows Wildlife Sanctuary trails
heading there today w Wifey & Daughter. how is the trail?
Old 02-04-18, 12:56 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
heading there today w Wifey & Daughter. how is the trail?
If you are home already (and not getting rained on) you may have passed us, as we were there again today.

The ORRT part was a bit icy but could be walked with care. The trails in the sun, on the causeway and along the river on the far side, were nice. Hard frozen this morning but thawing and probably a bit muddy by now.
Old 02-04-18, 01:21 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I just posted about my CCRT ride today on another thread;

No rain to be seen all morning. I got the the Dennis parking lot shortly before 7:00am and headed East. The chain link fence is in the same exact spot as it was in September. Just as I recall and Rumrunner6's picture shows. I executed an about face and rode the whole trail to Wellfleet. It was mostly clear dry pavement with plenty of small patches of ice and almost as many really large patches of ice. The studded 30mm Schwalbe Winters were oh so clackety. So much more than my 2" 2 row Winter Marathons. I think it's because they are so much more narrow that the studs make continual contact. I have them at 80 psi which resulted in a bumpier ride. They were admittedly heavy and made for a slower than expected ride. I didn't see another cyclist the whole time, just a few joggers and dog walkers. When I wasn't focused on staying upright while passing over ice I was lost in a daydream of past summer rides in all their scenic sun drenched glory.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Av...ePFq76thZNAu6R
Old 02-04-18, 02:26 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@anx, I doff my helmet to you! It was cold today. My sweetie and I walked the Concord Great Meadows Wildlife Sanctuary trails again. For 20deg it really felt cold.
Yeah I was glad I went out but man it took forever to warm up afterwards! It felt a little better this morning, just like it seems the rest of you did I managed to get out and back (myself to the Charles river), via a slight diversion for the gameday road race through Kendall, before the rain hit too . Will post some pics when i get them downloaded. At least it's not Minnesota weather out there guys!

Stopped for a breather and to take in the windchill factor

Birds on the Charles

Inman Sq

Diversion @ Kendall Sq

Canada Geese crossing, they take no prisoners

Frozen mud on the Charles

Mass Ave @ Porter Sq bike lane in bad shape

Last edited by anx; 02-06-18 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Addings photos of the ride
Old 02-04-18, 02:56 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Lowell Rd thru Concord Ctr. out of towners always make these intersections interesting
Almost looks spring like with that Sun, I dont remember seeing any rays today in Cambridge/Boston. I need to make a trip out to Concord and reward myself with breakfast again at Helen's.
Old 02-04-18, 03:31 PM
rumrunn6

The trails in the sun, on the causeway and along the river on the far side, were nice. Hard frozen this morning but thawing and probably a bit muddy by now.
thanks. no rain here. & yup, yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2708 (2).jpg (356.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN2721 (2).jpg (337.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-04-18, 03:34 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
my CCRT ride today
oh man can't believe you rode the whole thing on studs. that must be a first
Old 02-06-18, 06:59 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by anx
Mass Ave @ Porter Sq bike lane in bad shape
It's amazing what a decade will do, isn't it?

The slowly moving "Porter Square Intersection Improvements" probably means that they'll have to do a resurface (ala Beacon Street in Somerville) only to rip it all out in short order.

After a decade, the blunder of the Porter Square Shopping Mall left-turn only exit is finally being undone. However, the taxi stand that is never used (it's been years since I've seen a cab there) will remain.

But may diety help anyone walking the new everlasting crosswalk on the south side of Mass Ave.

(ps. It was bad three years ago. Now it's beyond bad.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-06-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 05:54 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

This morning I rolled out of the garage at 0500 for a 20/20 ride. 20 miles in 20 degrees. My steamy breath completely froze the face panel of my balaclava. I managed one swig of water before bottle cap froze over. It was almost painful but felt oh so good. Not another cyclist to be seen or expected until I turned left onto Conant rd in Lincoln. I exchanged helmet mounted headlight fueled glances with another probably equally obsessed and cold roadie. The canti brakes on my Boon 7 cross bike have quieted down and I feel content with saddle and handlebar positioning. I couldn’t be happier with it as my winter bike.
Old 02-06-18, 08:41 PM
rumrunn6

out of the garage at 0500 for a 20/20 ride. 20 miles in 20 degrees.
the dog days of winter, go get em kid!
Old 02-08-18, 12:04 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi fellow MetroBostnians (? Metrobes),

I haven’t been on this thread for a while, or even on BikeForums, but I’m back. I read it daily, but my last visit here was in April on the occasion of the group ride with our visitor from Florida, @qcpmsame My riding (commuting) is somewhat stymied by work, but this summer I did make the acquaintance of a well-matched weekend cycling companion.

From the now-closed thread, "How do we know when it’s time to stop?" FWIW:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I was amused that some of the replies thought itmeant to stop cycling, and some thought it meant to stop posting to BF, or stopdrinking. After about nine years posting on BikeForums, I have dropped off posting to the public forums.

This has been a good thing for me and has freed up a lot of time,since I invested a lot of time and effort to post. I resumed a more activeriding schedule this summer (though as usual too little with my busy work andfamily life and posting is at least vicarious cycling).

Nonetheless, I still read my favorite subforums daily,particularly posts by my many favored subscribers, as well as those I considergrumps. I still like to reply, as a PM, when I read a post that particularlyresonates with me…

For me the heady days on the Forums were from about 2008 to 2016, in particular participating in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, which have since disappeared.
My main purpose to post today is to mention the thread below. I just saw it yesterday. I’m seriously trying to make time to participate tomorrow, Friday. There are are about 20 Metro Boston riders enrolled, and I will do so later, as I become certain to go:
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
https://winterbiketoworkday.org/

Someone who doesn't winter bike on a regular basis (or at all) isn't about to haul out their old ten speed, strap the briefcase on the back and head off tothe accounting office... not around here in Winter anyways. Yet, these types of organizations are making a positive attempt to get people out pedaling and there's not much harm in that.
Another notable event is:
Originally Posted by Bandera
50+get your tickets here:https://us.demand.film/mamil/

-Bandera
The nationwide, one-time showing is Feb 21 at 6:30 PM at several theaters in the area. The Fenway Regal has already sold about 67 of 80 seats, and all the remainder are in the front row. My riding companion is unable to go but was surprised there were so many interested cyclists. I replied maybe many pf the tickets were sold to dubious spouses/significant others.
Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
…Yesterday a colleague was telling me that her husband was taking up cycling, and I told her about MAMILS (Middle-Aged Men in Lycra;though I think cycling keeps us at least "middle-aged" )'

She said he's not not into Lycra, and I replied, "But he will be."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-08-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 12:52 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Hi fellow MetroBostnians (? Metrobes),

I haven’t been on this thread for a while, or even on BikeForums, but I’m back....
Hi, Jim! Good to see you back.

I'd try to make the Bike To Work thing and on any other day when ther eis no snow or ice on the ground, I would. But tomorrow? Can't do it. Bummer.

What's tis thinf I read about TimeToStopDrinking? Doed that appply to beeer?

At one time you expressed interest in riding my commute route with me. I've never figured out a good way to coordinate that, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not commuting by bike again though till the ice goes away.
Old 02-09-18, 04:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi, Jim! Good to see you back.

I'd try to make the Bike To Work thing and on any other day when there is no snow or ice on the ground, I would. But tomorrow? Can't do it. Bummer.

What's tis thinf I read about TimeToStopDrinking? Doed that appplyto beeer?

At one time you expressed interest in riding my commute route with me. I've never figured out a good way to coordinate that, but I'm open to suggestions.I'm not commuting by bike again though till the ice goes away.
Hi jmm,

Thanks for that gracious reply. I posted my reply about today’s International Winter Bike to Work Day.
Unfortunately for me, my winter commuting is sporadic due to my workload (which I enjoy). It's often more efficient to stay overnight at work, save commuting time, and be at my desk at 5 AM when I’m at my energy peak; most of my work is solo anyways.

I rode my 14 mile route earlier this week, and am staying over tonight, so though I technically rode to work, I won’t ride tomorrow, February 9…
I have previously written about this Metro Boston thread, as a coterie of convivial bon vivant cyclists.
… I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (on a now-closed thread)
I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit… Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones:"I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
… this trunk [bag] can actually be used as a beer cooler...
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
I am sure you meant to say that your beer cooler can actually be used as a trunk.

Priorities Sir, priorities.
and
I'll be glad to bring the martini's.
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Jim, I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.
Originally Posted by Louis
...the portable martini kit. What the hell, man, he's ready now.
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...And I can assure you, the portables are potable!
I sure would like to accompany you on one of your morning commutes, and likewise, I extend the same invitation on mine. As noted above though, it’s hard to have a free workday off. I would need to ride out to Waltham, ride with you, and then home to Kenmore Square. When I do have a weekday off, I often do seek an early morning ride somewhere, and that sounds like a nice route and distance.

Back in 2014 I wrote an epic post about a Magical Mystery Tour seeking the location of a photo you took en route.
...What road is in the photo? It looks like a nice shoulder.
My Magical (and Musical) MysteryTour, Saturday, August 23

So this Saturday, I decided to find that road, and even capture the sam epicture. I left in jmm’s full description because it was an accurate detail of that road, though I rode it in the opposite direction as written.

I have recently been thinking about riding the Fellsway; not been on it since July last year. So that would be the route to “Jim's Road.”...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-09-18 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 08:35 AM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone out there today? Can't decide which direction out of city to head today, I'm thinking I may try my first ride of the year on the northern strand community trail and head to the coast.

A/
Old 02-10-18, 12:34 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hit the northern strand community trail for 2+ hour 25 mile ride to Revere beach and back, I can not recommend it in the current conditions, even with the slight warmup today there's several sections of icy rutted spots that made it treacherous for my Trek Hybrid, if you got studs or fat tires sure you probably be good but wouldnt enjoy the rest of the paved ride.

Was nice to get to the ocean and breath in the fresh air away from the city but I riding back through Chelsea wasn't exactly relaxing with all the traffic, puddles and pot holes.

Look north up Revere beach.

Looking south towards Winthrop
Old 02-10-18, 02:37 PM
Ghazmh

I got out for a lovely late morning 48.1 miles on my new Trek cross bike through Weston, Lincold, Walyand, Sudbury, Concord, Carlisle and Bedford. It was wet and oh so grimy. Mrs Ghazmh insisted I ride with the studded tires which in hindsight I didn’t need. I clipped on my rear fender which was effective at reducing the wet grime on my back. It was a very rewarding and fun ride!
Old 02-10-18, 05:29 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
It's that time again...
Arlington Bicycling Social: “The Middlesex Revelation”
Date:02/20/2018 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
319 Broadway

Join the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee (ABAC) for our annual indoor Bicycling Social get-together on Tuesday evening, February 20, 6:30-9:00 p.m., at the Common Ground Bar & Grill in Arlington Center. For this year's Bicycling Social, ABAC is hosting Richard Fries, the executive director of the MassBike, who will talk about the “Middlesex Revelation” and how Massachusetts could become America’s bike-friendly hub. “When people discuss America's most bike-friendly areas,” Richard reports, “Boston and its MetroWest suburbs are never in the discussion. But Middlesex County, with more than 200 miles of bike paths and another 150 miles in the works, is poised to become the Netherlands of America!” A review of GPS data, state policies, local initiatives, and transportation infrastructure will outline the amazing opportunities unique to this area. In addition, commemorative long-sleeve Minuteman Bikeway 25th Anniversary T-shirts will be available for sale during the event. The Minuteman Bikeway was completed and dedicated in 1992-1993 in Arlington, Lexington, and Bedford. ABAC has been helping to promote and celebrate the bikeway’s anniversary this year. ABAC's Bicycling Social will be held in the Common Ground Bar & Grill's Event Room, 319 Broadway, in Arlington Center. Ask for the Bicycling Social and the Event Room. A cash bar will be available, and a donation of $5 (or more if you like) is requested to help cover event costs. All proceeds will benefit ABAC’s efforts to make improve bicycling conditions in Arlington and beyond
rod
Old 02-10-18, 08:22 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mrs Ghazmh insisted I ride with the studded tires which in hindsight I didn’t need.
I wish I had mine today for 5-10 minutes for the icy patches I hit (see above), but with the warmth they would have overkill for 90% of my ride. Does using them unnecessarily on 'normal' conditions wear them at all I wonder?

I clipped on my rear fender which was effective at reducing the wet grime on my back.
It certainly is messy out there, even with my rear fender on (it's not the largest) I felt like I was carrying half of the road surface home with me! Hopefully the heavy rains clear some of that grime.

A/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.