Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Are bike shops putting me on the wrong size bike?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Are bike shops putting me on the wrong size bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 02:29 PM
paladyr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I tried a 56cm, handlebars felt a touch big, felt a tiny bit stretched. I thought the bike felt pretty good though.

Tried a 54cm, everything felt great, really no complaints.

Tried a 52cm, it didn't feel bad but when I tried to go all out from a stop while seated I felt a bit cramped.

Bought the Fuji cross 4.0 54cm from performance bike. They were by far the most helpful and responsive shop. I got the service place and membership.

Last edited by paladyr; 08-25-14 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-06-16, 02:18 PM
ejewels

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Wow. We have VERY similar measurements. Crazy! (Your legs are about .5" longer than mine, and all else is really close.)

I fit a 54 very well, and can even fit some 56s. (My competitive cyclist fit numbers put me on a 55) When I decided on a Giant Defy, suddenly all the LBSs around were trying to fit me on a S or M Giant. Which was CRAZY. (One place INSISTED I was a small, another INSISTED I was an M.) It's all down to Giant's bizarre sizing schema, and their ideas of what someone our height should fit, never mind the length of our inseam or length of our arms.

Anyway, I ended up, happily, with an M/L Defy--"effective" top tube, 54cm-- and that's the size Anyroad you need to be trying. In any other brand, you'll probably need a 54, as I do.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
only resurrecting this thread as I found this to be wrong information and wouldn't want people to read it wrong if they had a similar fit question. The M defy is more the equivalent to a 54, while the M/L the equivalent to a 56. The M/L does NOT have an ETT of 54.