Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Now this is tempting...

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Now this is tempting...

Old 10-09-19, 06:24 PM
Broid

Bikes: Parlee Altum R, 85 Eddy Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Now this is tempting...

https://onyxmotorbikes.com/?gclid=Cj...MaApBYEALw_wcB
Old 10-09-19, 10:36 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Want one. I won't be visiting friends in Santa Cruz for awhile since it's too close to the warehouse in SF.
Old 10-09-19, 11:08 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Looks really cool but will more than likely require registration and a license to operate on public roads and streets. This is more along the lines of a moped or light electric motorcycle. Looks like fun though.
Old 10-10-19, 06:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Electric Motorcycle. Another bike with a Chinese hub motor? no motor specs on website.
The good thing about gas powered motorcycles is the sound... people hear you coming.

Electric.... quiet... get ready for people walking right out in front of you in city and suburban environments.
Old 10-10-19, 11:44 AM
Broid

Bikes: Parlee Altum R, 85 Eddy Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
Looks really cool but will more than likely require registration and a license to operate on public roads and streets. This is more along the lines of a moped or light electric motorcycle. Looks like fun though.
Website says no, check their FAQ, but I live in California, so quite possibly...
Old 10-10-19, 11:59 AM
2old

The "hot" model, which is the one I want, would be difficult to register as a moped AFAIK.
Old 10-10-19, 02:04 PM
edwong3

Originally Posted by Broid
Website says no, check their FAQ, but I live in California, so quite possibly...
E-bike laws are so convoluted in this country (USA) that one cannot always be sure what is street legal or not. Here in Florida, the law does define an e-bike as having working pedals and not capable of exceeding 20 m.p.h. on level surfaces.

So would this vehicle be considered a "moped"? This bike both exceeds the speed limit placed on "mopeds" which is 30 m.p.h. as well as the horsepower limitation of 2 1/2 brake horsepower. So is it a "motorcycle" that just happens to have pedals then? Again, this is per Florida statues.

In other jurisdictions, maybe it will not require registration or title but I can't see very many places where you won't have to put a plate on this thing. Just my 2 cents for what's it's worth.

It would be nice if there were an exception for this type of vehicle but as we can see here on the forum, there's freaks who come here to troll saying that normal e-bikes should not be treated as bicycles, should be regulated more heavily or banned altogether. Go figure.
Old 10-10-19, 02:56 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If it goes more than 20mph, in Ca. you can't ride the paths or lanes. More than 28mph and you can't legally ride class 3 either. Doesn't matter about pedals, at that point it is all about the speed limitation.
Likes For linberl:
Old 10-11-19, 09:30 AM
edwong3

OK, in California things are a little different than here in Florida, though not by much. Here, pedals do matter in order to allow law enforcement to quickly identify the type of vehicle you're riding. If they see you on a bike moving along at the speed of the traffic and they cannot see pedals or a license plate, you're going to be pulled over. In fact, I think even Class 3 is questionable in this state as the regulation states a maximum speed of 20 mph on level ground for a bicycle with a "helper motor". And if they are allowed by any chance, streets and roads only and no MUPs or sidewalks.

So I am assuming that the moped in question can be operated on the public roadways and streets of California but must be registered and the operator must possess a valid driver's license. OK, case closed.

EDIT: I just read the Q&A and picked out where it says that there is a version with a 750 watt motor and can be limited to 20 mph by using "economy mode", so in essence a standard e-bike at that point.

Originally Posted by linberl
If it goes more than 20mph, in Ca. you can't ride the paths or lanes. More than 28mph and you can't legally ride class 3 either. Doesn't matter about pedals, at that point it is all about the speed limitation.

Last edited by edwong3; 10-11-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-11-19, 09:53 AM
2old

AFAIK, the "hot" version would require a motorcycle license, registration (as a MC) and insurance which is why I stick to "bikes". Plus I try to ride on the road as little as possible which is almost never lately. Too many friends/acquaintances have either been hit or have had close calls (including myself).
Old 10-11-19, 03:09 PM
linberl

EDIT: I just read the Q&A and picked out where it says that there is a version with a 750 watt motor and can be limited to 20 mph by using "economy mode", so in essence a standard e-bike at that point.
It is interesting when ebikes have software settings that can be user changed to go from legal to not-legal. My OneMotor can be set to EU (15mph) or up to 28mph depending on the region you choose. Sounds like "economy mode" is another software setting to limit for legality. I suspect at some point there will have to be legal clarification because it is too easy for someone to ride at 28/30mph and, if stopped, quickly change the limits to avoid a ticket.
Old 10-11-19, 04:58 PM
2old

How and when DIY gets defined is anybody's guess (IMO). Also, municipalities may already have enough strain on their budgets without having the constabularies checking ebikes. I see riders on gas-powered scooters and bikes as well as ebikes and escooters riding around with impunity, that is never have seen one "pulled over".
Old 10-11-19, 09:50 PM
edwong3

Originally Posted by linberl
It is interesting when ebikes have software settings that can be user changed to go from legal to not-legal. My OneMotor can be set to EU (15mph) or up to 28mph depending on the region you choose. Sounds like "economy mode" is another software setting to limit for legality. I suspect at some point there will have to be legal clarification because it is too easy for someone to ride at 28/30mph and, if stopped, quickly change the limits to avoid a ticket.
That is true. It would be hard for a law enforcement officer to prove that you were riding your e-bike using an "illegal" configuration.

That OneMotor of yours is really something else. I was thinking what a perfect combo it would make with a Brompton B75 for about $2,300 total.
Old 10-11-19, 11:32 PM
linberl

That is true. It would be hard for a law enforcement officer to prove that you were riding your e-bike using an "illegal" configuration.

That OneMotor of yours is really something else. I was thinking what a perfect combo it would make with a Brompton B75 for about $2,300 total.
The guy who designed the OM not only rides a Brompton but he's also the designer of something called the "Bromfoot" which apparently goes over the smaller pedal to make it feel full sized when you ride. It works great with Brompton indeed.