Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can you advise if this is sufficient?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 12:41 PM
JojoK74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I’m 45 and about 40 lbs overweight. I’ve always exercise though just have eating and thyroid issues. I usually do at least 30 minutes 7 days a week. I maybe miss 1 or 2 days a month if that. Usually the elliptical or a walk outside or on the treadmill. My favorite when the weather is nice is a bike ride. I just got a Fitbit and it said I rode 32 minute. 4.35 miles at an average of 8.1 mph. Heart rate average 131. (When I checked it seemed to fluctuate between 125 and 142). 40ft elevation gain and 202 calories burned. I thought that seems pretty good (except I would think I would have burned more calories) and I feel like a get a good work out. But when I check online it’s shows 8 mph is beginner. I’ve been riding on an off for a few years. Not everyday because of weather and time (sometimes I can only exercise really early or at night when it’s dark). Is it still a good effort?
Likes For JojoK74:
Old 12-26-19, 12:46 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
It's fine, you are doing something. Stick with it, you will get faster, if you want to, and you will see more results. Keep at it, and do so at a pace you enjoy, or you will get frustrated and quit. Combine diet with the exercise if you want to lose. Don't cut calories too much or you won't sustain it. All you want is a caloric deficit, and over time you will lose weight.

Okay, i'm going to go now, and take my own advice.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-26-19, 01:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JojoK74
I’m 45 and about 40 lbs overweight. I’ve always exercise though just have eating and thyroid issues. I usually do at least 30 minutes 7 days a week. I maybe miss 1 or 2 days a month if that. Usually the elliptical or a walk outside or on the treadmill. My favorite when the weather is nice is a bike ride. I just got a Fitbit and it said I rode 32 minute. 4.35 miles at an average of 8.1 mph. Heart rate average 131. (When I checked it seemed to fluctuate between 125 and 142). 40ft elevation gain and 202 calories burned. I thought that seems pretty good (except I would think I would have burned more calories) and I feel like a get a good work out. But when I check online it’s shows 8 mph is beginner. I’ve been riding on an off for a few years. Not everyday because of weather and time (sometimes I can only exercise really early or at night when it’s dark). Is it still a good effort?

You get to define for yourself whether it's a good effort. Don't confuse being a beginner with quality of effort, you're doing what you're comfortably capable of, especially considering time conditions. If you bike more, it will get easier to go faster, but you need to determine for yourself how to balance your activities.

I totally agree with phughes that sustainability of effort is the key, and that the advantage for biking in this regard is, to me, that it's actually fun. If wanting to go faster inspires you to push a little harder, embrace it. If feeling like you're too slow discourages you, then focus on how nice it is to be able to do this outside and don't worry about your speed.

Ignore the "no pain, no gain" people. That's not reality, it's a sales pitch.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 01:45 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I maybe miss 1 or 2 days a month if that.
...that is a great effort!

As far as average speed and distance...what kind of bike are you riding, what kind of tires, and what kind of condition is it in..because that can make a huge difference in speed.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 12-26-19, 01:46 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the bike make / model that you are riding? 8.1mph on a fat bike takes a lot more effort than a road bike.

The lights and street crossings will affect your average a lot.
Likes For katsup:
Old 12-26-19, 01:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If you're currently doing 30min 7 days a week, I've got nothing more to add.

Just make sure you're current diet cuts out junk food.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 12-26-19, 01:57 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Just posting to echo the “sustainability” opinions. If you work within the bounds of “happy with what I’m doing,” you’re more likely to keep doing it. Eventually, whatever level you’re working at will get easier and you’ll be quietly and comfortably making progress. In other words, don’t worry too much about the numbers, just keep doing whatever it is you’re doing.

Or, you could dive into the deep end of the social media BS and try to compare yourself to a bunch of nonsense whereby you’ll soon feel inadequate and disappointed and end up unhappy with yourself on the couch.

I recommend the first paragraph.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 12-26-19, 02:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by BobbyG
...that is a great effort!

As far as average speed and distance...what kind of bike are you riding, what kind of tires, and what kind of condition is it in..because that can make a huge difference in speed.
Originally Posted by katsup
Out of curiosity, what is the bike make / model that you are riding? 8.1mph on a fat bike takes a lot more effort than a road bike.

The lights and street crossings will affect your average a lot.
Also, hilly, flat, windy?

Never take the calorie counter on a Fitbit seriously, it's not even educated guessing.

I'm really encouraged that OP is doing this with thyroid issues.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 02:11 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
You are lapping everyone on the couch! You will naturally be able to ride longer and/or faster as you keep doing it. The important thing for now is to keep it up.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-26-19, 02:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Just posting to echo the “sustainability” opinions. If you work within the bounds of “happy with what I’m doing,” you’re more likely to keep doing it. Eventually, whatever level you’re working at will get easier and you’ll be quietly and comfortably making progress. In other words, don’t worry too much about the numbers, just keep doing whatever it is you’re doing.

Or, you could dive into the deep end of the social media BS and try to compare yourself to a bunch of nonsense whereby you’ll soon feel inadequate and disappointed and end up unhappy with yourself on the couch.

I recommend the first paragraph.

-Kedosto

I'm considering developing a fitness program whose main activity is running away from anyone who uses the phrase "muscle confusion."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 04:47 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm considering developing a fitness program whose main activity is running away from anyone who uses the phrase "muscle confusion."
Old 12-26-19, 05:18 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just keep doin' what you're doin'. If you want to ride longer and burn more calories/fat, you will be able to do that as you get more fit. You're doing great.
Old 12-26-19, 06:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Don't worry about calories or weight loss. Do what you enjoy. Ride your bike your way.

My optimal weight is 150. almost 20 years ago, after I was hit by a car, breaking my neck and back, I was unable to ride a bike and for the next 15 years needed a cane to walk. I got up to 205 lbs. And I developed Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease that attacks the thyroid. So I had chronic pain associated with Hashimoto's, and no energy to exercise anyway.

To lose some weight I changed my diet. I quit buying ready-made sweets and treats. I bought the fixings to bake muffins, cakes, etc., if I wanted those. Yeah, I cheated occasionally but mostly stuck with that plan and it worked. I cut way back on the beer. I ate a lot more high protein/fat foods to satiate my hunger. If I didn't let my blood sugar drop, I didn't crave sugar and junk carbs. But I'm an omnivore. I doubt I could succeed with a vegan or vegetarian diet. Tried it for several months, hated it.

That got my weight down to 175 by early 2015. And I was able to walk farther without the cane. So in summer 2015 I bought a bike, a heavy comfort hybrid with spring fork, heavily padded and springy saddle, and rode that thing for a year. Slowly. No diet changes. I lost maybe 5 lbs, but felt better.

Each year since 2015 I've made other changes to my diet and exercise routine, and each year rewarded my efforts with a new-to-me used bike that's a little lighter and a little sportier. In summer 2017 I got my first road bike in 30+ years. Weighed about 160 lbs then.

In 2018 I was hit by a car, again, breaking my shoulder and re-injuring the old neck injury. Diagnostics to check the injuries revealed my thyroid was calcified. Biopsies confirmed it was cancerous. I had surgery in late 2018 to remove it. No metastasis, no chemo, I got lucky. So far, so good.

Most of 2019 was a slow recovery. Zero energy for months. Weight dropped to 150, mostly because I couldn't swallow solid food for months. Lots of protein shakes, blenderized fruits and veggies, oatmeal, soup, etc. Bought my first carbon fiber road bike from a friend. Early 1990s Trek 5900. I've been enjoying the heck out of that thing. It motivated me to keep going and regain the conditioning I'd lost to injury and illness.

By the time I felt better and could swallow again, I figured I might as well try to keep the weight within the 150-160 lb range. So far, so good.

Took awhile but I'm much stronger and fitter than I've been in years.

But if weight loss or fitness had been my primary goal, I'd have failed.

I ride bikes because I enjoy it. The brain chemical buzz is the best drug I've ever found, and I've tried almost all of 'em. I don't worry about my weight. I don't worry about calories burned during a ride. My main motivation to work out a little harder is so I don't get dropped on every hill in group rides. Other than that, it's all for fun. Sometimes working harder to get faster is also fun. But if it becomes a chore to work so hard at it that it ain't fun, I'll refocus on my primary goal: riding bikes to enjoy riding bikes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-26-19, 06:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
...I'm really encouraged that OP is doing this with thyroid issues.
Ditto. That little gland can wreak havoc on our entire lives when it malfunctions. And usually only people with thyroid problems can understand. Most folks just don't get it. And it takes for-freaking-ever to stabilize our metabolism with levothyroxine or other replacements for a failed thyroid.

After surgery to remove the calcified cancerous thyroid lobe in November 2018, I'd guesstimate it took me until late summer this year to finally begin to feel more or less normal again.

And my endocrinologist was very cautious about increasing my dosage. I also had early onset osteopenia and a family history of osteoporosis, sometimes severe. So my endo doc refused to authorize any drastic increases in levothyroxine just because I kept whining about having no energy. She just told me to be patient and let the therapy take its course. Too much levothyroxine ran the risk of aggravating bone density problems and they wanted to see if my remaining thyroid lobe and parathyroids would kick-start themselves and regain function.

I also take a fistful of supplements but who knows whether it actually works. I feel better now than I have in years, but maybe that would have happened without the supplements. I'm probably peeing 99.99% of it out. Whatever, it's my expensive urine.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-26-19, 06:39 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Keep at it. You are doing great !!
Old 12-26-19, 07:07 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I agree that you are doing great. If you can extend your ride by 2-3 miles per day, you will probably have even better results. If you can extend it an additional 2-3 miles per day after that, you will feel the difference in your ability.

Your dietary discipline may be as helpful as your exercise routine. When I ditched soft drinks, I lost 10 pounds over 6-8 weeks. And artificial sweeteners are poisonous, so don't substitute. Your lifestyle choices are life choices. Choose strong and tough, not sweet and weak.

Above all, keep moving.
Old 12-26-19, 07:48 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Your doing great. Keep doing what you’re doing.

I’m trying to get down to my original weight of 7lbs 8 ounces, but don’t think I’ll ever make it.
Old 12-26-19, 08:02 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Those of us in wet countries have a higher percentage of obesity, and we bulk up our food with a higher percentage of a very abundant energy source.

The problem with slow-release energy is that you can't burn it. Eat a plate of spaghetti, go out for a two-hour ride, pedal your knees off. Get home, crash out on the sofa, and that spaghetti is still there, making you fat.

If you wanna burn off and get lean, you've got to run out of fuel. That means motivational energy that burns quick. You use the wind in your sails to get going, and you go the extra mile to start using your own energy reserves to keep going.

This works in other ways, too. It takes a lot of energy to digest meat. If you don't consume a slow-release energy source with it, it will require reserve energy. That's why the most fattening part of a cheeseburger is the bread roll...

In the case of the average person, reducing bread/pasta before exercise, and focusing on fruit smoothies for energy instead, can make their exercise go a hell of a lot further.

I should add i'm not taking any special circumstances into account, such as thyroid issues. And zero-carb diets such as Atkins are extreme, and extremes can be hazardous. Just use your sense, keep slow burners for the morning, get variety.

Incidentally, i'm also 45yo, nearly 6ft tall, and 143 lbs. I eat well and don't punish myself on exercise.
Old 12-26-19, 08:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'd be doubtful of anything the fitbit claims to measure, except possibly your heart rate. How does it actually measure all of those other things? I'm a skeptic.
Old 12-26-19, 09:24 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
do you have the urge to go longer, farther?
Old 12-27-19, 02:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto. That little gland can wreak havoc on our entire lives when it malfunctions. And usually only people with thyroid problems can understand. Most folks just don't get it. And it takes for-freaking-ever to stabilize our metabolism with levothyroxine or other replacements for a failed thyroid.

After surgery to remove the calcified cancerous thyroid lobe in November 2018, I'd guesstimate it took me until late summer this year to finally begin to feel more or less normal again.

And my endocrinologist was very cautious about increasing my dosage. I also had early onset osteopenia and a family history of osteoporosis, sometimes severe. So my endo doc refused to authorize any drastic increases in levothyroxine just because I kept whining about having no energy. She just told me to be patient and let the therapy take its course. Too much levothyroxine ran the risk of aggravating bone density problems and they wanted to see if my remaining thyroid lobe and parathyroids would kick-start themselves and regain function.

I also take a fistful of supplements but who knows whether it actually works. I feel better now than I have in years, but maybe that would have happened without the supplements. I'm probably peeing 99.99% of it out. Whatever, it's my expensive urine.
I don't keep my disdain for the entire supplement industry a secret, but I don't doubt that someone with your history might need to compensate for problems processing micronutrients, and whatever you're doing is working incredibly well for you.. You have probably done this already, but be sure to check with your endocrinologist about any possible drug interactions with all of the supplements.

Wow, these posts are really amazing! You've more than recovered from two major simultaneous setbacks.
Old 12-27-19, 02:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Those of us in wet countries have a higher percentage of obesity, and we bulk up our food with a higher percentage of a very abundant energy source.

The problem with slow-release energy is that you can't burn it. Eat a plate of spaghetti, go out for a two-hour ride, pedal your knees off. Get home, crash out on the sofa, and that spaghetti is still there, making you fat.

If you wanna burn off and get lean, you've got to run out of fuel. That means motivational energy that burns quick. You use the wind in your sails to get going, and you go the extra mile to start using your own energy reserves to keep going.

This works in other ways, too. It takes a lot of energy to digest meat. If you don't consume a slow-release energy source with it, it will require reserve energy. That's why the most fattening part of a cheeseburger is the bread roll...

In the case of the average person, reducing bread/pasta before exercise, and focusing on fruit smoothies for energy instead, can make their exercise go a hell of a lot further.

I should add i'm not taking any special circumstances into account, such as thyroid issues. And zero-carb diets such as Atkins are extreme, and extremes can be hazardous. Just use your sense, keep slow burners for the morning, get variety.

Incidentally, i'm also 45yo, nearly 6ft tall, and 143 lbs. I eat well and don't punish myself on exercise.
People's metabolisms vary so much that advice like this is basically useless. I find if I take a big hit of carbs right before a long ride, my energy flags in the first hour. That smoothie would be a complete disaster for me. I also find the claim that the same amount of calories consumed as complex carbs will make you fatter than simple carbs ridiculous. If you're burning a reserve during your two hour ride, it's more likely glycogen from your liver than fat. The difference in burn rate between complex and simple carbs is a matter of minutes, not hours, your stomach is very efficient at breaking down starches. The difference in calories you're bringing back to the couch is probably about nil.
Old 12-27-19, 07:10 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
You are doing more than more than likely 90% of the population! Congrats! Do not get so caught up in what the internet or books say as to a effort and it being rated. Eat a healthy type of diet and do about 30 mins. a day exercise and when you can, get on the bike and see the scenery. Do not make riding a chore or you will come to hate it! I ride and enjoy the road for the scenery and smelling the country air (and road kill!).

Do not worry what others say your effort is equated to. Those people are usually schmucks that eat Ho Ho's and drink Cola and sit on their duffs while criticizing others because they feel inferior and that is what they are resulted to. I say to you...…..way to go and keep it up! I cannot stress along with exercise is a great diet. I will not suggest for you as we are all different in our likes but for me I love grilled fish; some red meats and veggies like squash and asparagus lightly grilled and even an every so often piece of PIE! Don't go totally cult on diet. It's okay to have a bit of goodies while riding and exercising.
Old 12-27-19, 10:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
You are lapping everyone on the couch! You will naturally be able to ride longer and/or faster as you keep doing it. The important thing for now is to keep it up.
Anything that you do is better than nothing. A low key consistent program is better than a high intensity program only once in a while.