Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift questions and impressions

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift questions and impressions

Old 12-20-19, 01:51 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The gifted programs are not confined to the individual districts. They are above and beyond that. You get the best education opportunity your tax dollars are paying for. Here are the links:

https://henricoschools.us/gifted/
https://mychesterfieldschools.com/cu...ted-education/

I was in Short Pump last Saturday for the better half's family's Christmas lunch. We ate at Firebirds then tooled around the shopping center. You know it's an upscale shopping center when they have a Peloton store! I should have walked in and asked them about Zwifting on a Peloton. The wife and her cousin went to the Circuit Arcade Bar the night before. They gave it high reviews.
Funny, we had a happy hour there with my company's management team the night before your wife was there. I like the self-serve beer taps, but I can't say I'm super nostalgic for the arcade games. I did enjoy some skeeball though.
Old 12-20-19, 04:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Now that's an interesting tangent!

Identifying kindergartners as gifted is a real stretch. In all likelihood, all that's being identified is how much education they've already received at home, or how much their parent knows about the system and can "game" it accordingly. "Parent recommendation"? Come on. This is pretty silly and the cause of serious equity concerns due to hos disproportionate minority participation is.
In Chesterfield, they don't administer the tests and identify the kids till 2nd grade. I don't know about Henrico. You can get the specifics through the links. They enter the program starting in the 3rd grade year. They take the test each year after that and can enter the program up until the 8th grade year. After they have the choice of applying for one of the Specialty Centers within the high schools. My oldest got tested in kindergarten because he was frustrating the teacher. He would sit in class bored and stare out the window until he had a few minutes left in class. Then he would do his work, turn it in and start staring back out the window. The school recommended he go directly to 2nd grade. His birthday's at the end of June. Doing that would have put him in with kids that could be as much as almost 2 years older. The program was a godsend for him. Most of the kids in the program are the same way early on. Bored and socially withdrawn because they are on a different level and don't fit in. Putting them together in a different, challenging environment does wonders for them.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-07-20, 01:38 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Discovered a whole new avenue of nerdery for Zwift use today-

www.zwiftpower.com

Pretty intense system they've created to virtually rank people, which I'm sure will be shredded by the anti-Zwift purists, but it's IMO an interesting way to dissect your data.
Old 01-07-20, 02:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Well, that tells me that, in my current level of conditioning, I don't currently produce the W/kg to compete on C level races, but I already knew that.
Old 01-07-20, 07:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Discovered a whole new avenue of nerdery for Zwift use today-

www.zwiftpower.com

Pretty intense system they've created to virtually rank people, which I'm sure will be shredded by the anti-Zwift purists, but it's IMO an interesting way to dissect your data.
I've seen people refer to it a lot for racing. I'm sure it's very bike nerd-erific. Any sort of intense analysis is fun to look at. Considering it's analysis of online riding for the purposes of comparing online riding then it is what it is. Not like it determines call-ups for real life crits or anything.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 01-08-20, 07:17 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
My impression of Zwift so far...
Normally, this time of year, I'd be not biking as much, losing fitness and getting fatter. I got a trainer back in November and I'm spending more time sweating and keeping my fitness up. I don't give a crap about racing, but its fun to get frisky every now and then in a virtual world (or real world) to spice things up. This is far from a perfect simulator - no braking, turning, wind, but its a tool that's keeping me engaged so I keep working when the weather is bad. I've had two other trainers in the past that collected dust because I couldn't stay on them. If people want to make virtual racing a thing, I don't really care one way or the other. It doesn't really interest me and has no effect on me whatsoever, but if that's what interests you - have fun.

Personally, I would rather skip the racing aspect and have a game where you're chasing a spy through the park and you have handlebar mounted buttons that activate weapons. If we're going to have a game, lets really make it a game. Maybe we could be running from dinosaurs in Jurassic Park world trying to make it to the helicopter before we get caught. Seems like there's a lot of ways to make working out fun with this...
Likes For pallen:
Old 01-08-20, 08:36 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
Personally, I would rather skip the racing aspect and have a game where you're chasing a spy through the park and you have handlebar mounted buttons that activate weapons. If we're going to have a game, lets really make it a game. Maybe we could be running from dinosaurs in Jurassic Park world trying to make it to the helicopter before we get caught. Seems like there's a lot of ways to make working out fun with this...
You remind me of the sabretooth tiger race from an old PC game, Caveman Ughlympics. Would make for an interesting Zwift-style race - a sabertooth tiger (or alien xenomorph, or velociraptor, 4x4 truck, whatever, updated to modern times) is let loose a set time after the riders are released from the starting pen. Keep pedaling hard to stay ahead of the peloton. Use anti-power ups on the rider in front of you to your advantage - lead brick (opposite of feather) to reduce w/kg, umbrella (opposite of van) to eliminate draft effect, etc. Last to survive is crowned the winner.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 01-08-20, 09:07 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Oh yeah, or Mario Kart on bikes...
Old 01-09-20, 07:53 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I did read on another forum that they hired a bunch of new UI designers for the development team at Zwift, so the entire UI should be getting a big update at some point which is much needed. There are things that just don't make sense, like being unable to edit your route selection once you've started a ride, being unable to change equipment choices unless you're in a ride, etc.
Old 01-09-20, 10:00 AM
himespau 

I would hope they update the companion app. I've had lots of issues with it lagging 10+ minutes behind what's actually happening (both in terms of being able to use boosts and make turns/stop the ride, and just in the display of time, distance and effort), and sometimes I'll log in to the companion app (after making sure computer and tablet are on same network) and it won't realize that I'm on a ride for it to control for the full time I'm riding. Times like these, I want to find a way to mount my keyboard to my handlebars so I can just do away with the companion app.
Old 01-09-20, 02:39 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by himespau
I would hope they update the companion app. I've had lots of issues with it lagging 10+ minutes behind what's actually happening (both in terms of being able to use boosts and make turns/stop the ride, and just in the display of time, distance and effort), and sometimes I'll log in to the companion app (after making sure computer and tablet are on same network) and it won't realize that I'm on a ride for it to control for the full time I'm riding. Times like these, I want to find a way to mount my keyboard to my handlebars so I can just do away with the companion app.
Same. I've noticed weird behavior with joining events through the companion app where you'll click the + button to join a particular event, but then the join event countdown won't appear on the screen and you'll miss the start. For the amount of subscription revenue they must be generating, it's surprising they haven't addressed some of these issues already.
Old 01-09-20, 02:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
I did read on another forum that they hired a bunch of new UI designers for the development team at Zwift, so the entire UI should be getting a big update at some point which is much needed. There are things that just don't make sense, like being unable to edit your route selection once you've started a ride, being unable to change equipment choices unless you're in a ride, etc.
I really hope it's true. Their UI really sucks, once you know its quirks it's ok but for a new user it's not at all intuitive.
Old 01-09-20, 03:15 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by datlas
I really hope it's true. Their UI really sucks, once you know its quirks it's ok but for a new user it's not at all intuitive.
Since I've just started back on it after a long time off, I keep finding myself starting up the program on my computer, clicking into my pedals, then having to go dismount and click the log in button and then go back and get on the bike again. It seems like the default should be to log in and only require extra steps if you want to change users. And then I get off after spinning the pedals to get it to recognize the powertap hub, so that I can go over and click ok to start. You'd think that after logging in (should be an automatic thing once you start the program), it should be able to sync with the companion app and do all the other steps from there (of course, not everyone is trying to do their riding in the back of an area of the basement set up with as a sort of home theater - not really theater seats, just a couple of recliners and a couch along a side wall - where the keyboard is around some furniture from the bike). And the work to find a way to change your equipment is annoying. You should be able to do that from the main menu rather than having to start a ride to get to it.
Old 01-09-20, 06:12 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Since I've just started back on it after a long time off, I keep finding myself starting up the program on my computer, clicking into my pedals, then having to go dismount and click the log in button and then go back and get on the bike again. It seems like the default should be to log in and only require extra steps if you want to change users. And then I get off after spinning the pedals to get it to recognize the powertap hub, so that I can go over and click ok to start. You'd think that after logging in (should be an automatic thing once you start the program), it should be able to sync with the companion app and do all the other steps from there (of course, not everyone is trying to do their riding in the back of an area of the basement set up with as a sort of home theater - not really theater seats, just a couple of recliners and a couch along a side wall - where the keyboard is around some furniture from the bike). And the work to find a way to change your equipment is annoying. You should be able to do that from the main menu rather than having to start a ride to get to it.
hmm mine logs in automatically. A wireless keyboard with trackpad is also great to have if you aren't using the companion app
Old 01-09-20, 08:30 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The whole focus on virtual biking is cool but needs some alternative. Perhaps, there could be game where resource utilization/timing is based on wattage output or FTP % and you have to allocate your watts to power in-game resources. Of course, using the bike to navigate would also be part of the game. Di2/eTap buttons could be reassigned to game functions. Longer term, I wonder if the more complete bike-trainer solutions (e.g., Kickr Bike) will become larger markets and if those types of devices will become better suited to new virtual biking alternatives.

Anyway, there is so much more potential than just Mario Kart, although that would also be awesome.
Old 01-10-20, 09:00 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I don't really need Zwift to become a video game just because it uses game technology in it. But I do think the UI is pretty bad. I use a Mac to run it mostly and there are some really annoying things, like being unable to finish a ride and go to another one without fully exiting, or as noted needing to start a ride to get to the menus. It also launches a separate app to start the ride instead of running within the app you have open. I don't know if it is the same on Windows because I've never tried. I've only used it once or twice with iOS and don't remember what it did. And I never know how to do anything once I'm in the app, nothing is really intuitive. I always feel like I'm starting over and have to go to zwiftinsider to find out. Even giving a "Ride On" is difficult and I always try to give one to people I've stuck with for a while but I have to focus on doing it and in the process lose them because I've let up the power.

I guess that will be the flaw in any improvements, you can focus on your pedaling or you can focus on the app.
Old 01-10-20, 11:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I I don't know if it is the same on Windows because I've never tried.
Its the same.
The fact that ending a ride kicks you out of the program is insane. Its completely absurd and I cant even imagine why those who created the program would have designed it this way. What benefit is there to closing the program? Its super annoying since logging in takes almost 5 minutes for the program to load.
The other annoying thing is that I cant go to a race from the main screen. I need to select 'ride', go into whatever world happens to be selected, then select the 'join race' option within the world which then means I wait a few minutes for the race to load. Why not just let me join the race right away?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-20, 08:07 PM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its the same.
The fact that ending a ride kicks you out of the program is insane. Its completely absurd and I cant even imagine why those who created the program would have designed it this way. What benefit is there to closing the program? Its super annoying since logging in takes almost 5 minutes for the program to load.
The other annoying thing is that I cant go to a race from the main screen. I need to select 'ride', go into whatever world happens to be selected, then select the 'join race' option within the world which then means I wait a few minutes for the race to load. Why not just let me join the race right away?
Jon Mayfield mentions persistent bugs that crop up if you continually switch worlds in the Zwiftcast podcast episode #65 (1:04:30 into the podcast). That is why the program annoyingly restarts after you finish a ride. I cannot say this has ever bothered me, but I also played way, way, way too many hours of Europa Universalis IV which has exactly the same problem of persistent bugs which were more easily quashed by forcing a program restart. I don't really even notice it happening anymore.

For how rides/races/workouts start in-game, it will be interesting how the coming UI changes affect things. Whenever the UI changes come.

so close to 10 years - 10 posts ... I did not quite make it.
Likes For esarhaddon:
Old 01-13-20, 07:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Looking online the next best TT bike I can get will be at level 13 the Specialized S-works Shiv. Would that bike be worth buying and tossing some 808's on it? In TT's I frequently lose to people on less watts using other bikes and wheels. My speeds seem slower than my real world TT bike (which is about as fast as you can get within a price range).

I have about a million drops to spend and that bike costs a bundle. Just want to spend wisely!
Old 01-13-20, 08:31 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its the same.
Agree, and repairing sensors (especially when you have more than 3 if using Apple TV) is a PITA.

Every time I use the companion app to pair my fourth sensor, I pair it, then have to wait until Zwift says "no signal", then unpair and re-pair for it to work. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 01-13-20, 09:14 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Looking online the next best TT bike I can get will be at level 13 the Specialized S-works Shiv. Would that bike be worth buying and tossing some 808's on it? In TT's I frequently lose to people on less watts using other bikes and wheels. My speeds seem slower than my real world TT bike (which is about as fast as you can get within a price range).

I have about a million drops to spend and that bike costs a bundle. Just want to spend wisely!
The other option that would be viable is the P5 that is available at level 15. It's a bit better on the flat but not on climbs.
https://zwiftinsider.com/charts-tt/
https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-tt-bikes/
But, as you can see in the charts, the average speed isn't going to change more than 0.1 or 0.2 km/h, so still likely slower than in real life for you (and, much much faster than real life for me - clearly my TT position sucks).
Old 01-13-20, 09:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by OBoile
The other option that would be viable is the P5 that is available at level 15. It's a bit better on the flat but not on climbs.
https://zwiftinsider.com/charts-tt/
https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-tt-bikes/
But, as you can see in the charts, the average speed isn't going to change more than 0.1 or 0.2 km/h, so still likely slower than in real life for you (and, much much faster than real life for me - clearly my TT position sucks).
Haha! I dunno. I think the Zwift TT bike plus the entry level 30mm wheels are just that slow with the "Zwift" road bike helmet. In real life the fancy skinsuit, TT helmet, and wheels make a big difference even if position isn't super crazy. I'd imagine that might be it versus the real world.

I've done Tempus segment in Zwift before on the TT bike slower than I've done a similar length segment in real-life...........but the real life segment averages about 40 to 50 feet per mile and included the speed loss of a u-turn around. That's hella slower on Zwift! Haha. As Tempus is pretty much pan flat. I'm using Tempus nowadays to hit level 13 to get those Zipp 808's on there. Then back to climbing for the Tron bike, someday.
Old 01-13-20, 10:05 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Haha! I dunno. I think the Zwift TT bike plus the entry level 30mm wheels are just that slow with the "Zwift" road bike helmet. In real life the fancy skinsuit, TT helmet, and wheels make a big difference even if position isn't super crazy. I'd imagine that might be it versus the real world.

I've done Tempus segment in Zwift before on the TT bike slower than I've done a similar length segment in real-life...........but the real life segment averages about 40 to 50 feet per mile and included the speed loss of a u-turn around. That's hella slower on Zwift! Haha. As Tempus is pretty much pan flat. I'm using Tempus nowadays to hit level 13 to get those Zipp 808's on there. Then back to climbing for the Tron bike, someday.
Yeah, I'm about 3-4 km/h faster on Zwift than real life... something's not optimal for me. Having said that, I haven't exactly put much time into my position. I've done one duathlon and I pretty much just put the aero bars on, did a couple of rides and then raced. I did have an aero helmet as it was 80% off, but I have no idea if it's a good fit for me. Hopefully there's some low-hanging fruit I can get this year both in terms of power in that position and aerodynamics.
Old 01-13-20, 11:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by OBoile
Yeah, I'm about 3-4 km/h faster on Zwift than real life... something's not optimal for me. Having said that, I haven't exactly put much time into my position. I've done one duathlon and I pretty much just put the aero bars on, did a couple of rides and then raced. I did have an aero helmet as it was 80% off, but I have no idea if it's a good fit for me. Hopefully there's some low-hanging fruit I can get this year both in terms of power in that position and aerodynamics.
Not everyone is a fan (I'm not, I just watch it for youtube filler to waste time), but Vegan cyclist has a youtube video where he tried riding a TT bike. He "claims" his road bike climbing position he can do 350w for 20min. Which is ******.

TT bike? One of his first indoor workouts he couldn't even hit more than about 225 to 230w!!!! That's crazy! But, the time in the saddle and workouts get it closer.

RIght now I'm at about 20 to 25w lower than my road bike position. Used to be more like 40w to 50w less last year. Doing nothing other than some blocks of TT bike workouts and being sure to ride the darn thing in anger at least once a week or so.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-13-20, 02:52 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Regarding your post about height doping many pages back, it would be hilarious to get an update where height and weight changed your avatar's appearance to get real world BMI representations. Imagine seeing a four and a half foot anorexic guy flying past you at 10 w/kg.

As for me, I bought into zwift last year and burned myself out pretty quick (in addition to other family matters that came up last year). This year I am using it in supplement with outdoor rides just because my days are so full that virtual rides can be done at 9 or 10 p.m. during the week. Being in a pretty flat area in North Texas, it's fun to be able to run courses with real sustained climbs. Of course I leave it on the default 50% gradient reality and still suck, but I still put out more watts than usual while netflix binging.
Likes For WalksOn2Wheels:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.