Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 02-06-20, 03:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In bike news, I've gotten the spousal blessing to buy a mountain bike. I'm leaning towards a hardtail which I think will be optimal for the local race series, but half my friends say I should get a full suspension.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-06-20, 03:56 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
They're usually (always?) filed pro se.
I had to look that up. Every day that I learn something is a good day.
Old 02-06-20, 04:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
i had to look that up. Every day that i learn something is a good day.
+1
Old 02-06-20, 04:06 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
I had to look that up. Every day that I learn something is a good day.
you can add "per se" to that list as well, which means in itself.

often gets mistakenly written as "per say"
Old 02-06-20, 04:20 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
you can add "per se" to that list as well, which means in itself.

often gets mistakenly written as "per say"
It still serves it's intensive purposes.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 02-06-20, 06:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In bike news, I've gotten the spousal blessing to buy a mountain bike. I'm leaning towards a hardtail which I think will be optimal for the local race series, but half my friends say I should get a full suspension.
Be like Nino.
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/nino-schurter-bike-check
Likes For big john:
Old 02-06-20, 06:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Whoa. That's hot.
Old 02-07-20, 07:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Get full suspension.

You won't regret it.

I can't ride a hard tail any more. Messes up my back.
Old 02-07-20, 01:42 PM
big john

Whoa. That's hot.
What's amazing is how much saddle to bar drop he runs, the bar is actually below the top of the headset. And he still doesn't use a dropper seatpost, doesn't want the extra 200 grams. With 7 world championships I guess he knows what he's doing.
I would recommend a full suspension bike if you're going anywhere with rough terrain, rocks, roots, or braking bumps. Hardtails can go fast and I still see people going fast on bumpy stuff but the rear suspension gives you more control and makes the rear brake work better. You also don't have to be so careful with your line choice.

There are so many choices now it's mind boggling. Wheel size, suspension travel, geometry/fit, and money. I bought a new mtb in 2018 and I agonized over all the variables. Ended up with an enduro style bike with 27.5x 2.8 tires, 150mm rear travel and a 160mm Fox fork. It's about 32 pounds and has most of the recent geometry changes which started coming to mtb in 2017. Long wheel base, slack head angle, but a shorter reach than most others. You wouldn't want to use it for XC racing but it can go through a pile of rocks better than anything I have ridden short of a motorcycle.

If you start looking at bikes be sure to look at the geometry charts. The reach can vary by inches for 2 same sized bikes. There is less standard than there is for road bikes when it comes to fit.

Likes For big john:
Old 02-07-20, 02:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
I would second the FS choice. I ride a 650b (27.5) hardtail and I enjoy it for my solo riding - small, light, snappy, and I can throw it around with much more agility. But it's just slow compared to a bigger wheel FS bike... in the few XC style races I've done, I just get frustrated at much faster the 29" FS bikes descend, cruise over rough terrain or just roll on the flats. I got to demo a Giant Anthem (full on race bike) carbon FS 29" and boy... that thing was freakin' fast!!!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-10-20, 08:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned this in the Road forum topic. For promoters and people interested in the decline of American "roadie" things.........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Alone

I've read it, and it hits home.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-19-20, 01:47 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
*cough*

...I also have an inside man feeding me data on Quinn. If he can hold it together, the Classics are going to be a bloodbath. Bllodbath, as in 3-minute power of 639W at 77 kg. That's 0.74 W/kg more than Cancellara at his peak.

We'll see if he can hold this madness into some meaningful results. At some point, his body is going to crack...right?
Old 02-19-20, 03:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

The pro training numbers are just comical compared to clubbies and fun racers.

Once you see and understand it, you can totally see why they can do what they can.

I can't fathom 3min at power like that. Lots of folks can do that for a single minute. But THREE?!!! Hunnngggggggggg
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-19-20, 03:15 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by Cypress
*cough*

...I also have an inside man feeding me data on Quinn. If he can hold it together, the Classics are going to be a bloodbath. Bllodbath, as in 3-minute power of 639W at 77 kg. That's 0.74 W/kg more than Cancellara at his peak.

We'll see if he can hold this madness into some meaningful results. At some point, his body is going to crack...right?
Those are awesome numbers and I look forward to seeing what he can do in the classics and other world tour races over the coming years. Keep in mind that the classics also require a ton of skill in positioning and being in the right place at the right time of the race. And some (especially PR) favor pure watts more than W/kg. Clearly he has the stuff to do well if, like you say, his body doesn't crack.
Old 02-19-20, 03:18 PM
cmh

Are those pure training numbers or was that from early season stage race (did he do Tour de la Provence)?
Old 02-19-20, 03:27 PM
Cypress

On that note, Quintana's performance on Ventoux was extremely suspect. I know he's got the "nothing" face, but most of the pictures and video of that climb had him pretty much breathing through his nose - at an estimated 6.8 W/kg - for over 28 minutes. Apart from the initial attack (Sepp did 650W for 16 seconds and got dropped like a murder weapon), he looked like he was riding in Z2 the entire way up. And this is all AFTER holding >415W for almost 7 minutes prior to the attack.

I know he's a freak, but that hearkened back to the late 90's early 2000's dirty days. I'm 90% sure there's something fishy going on.

This is not the face of someone that JUST SET THE RECORD GOING UP VENTOUX

Old 02-19-20, 03:28 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by cmh
Are those pure training numbers or was that from early season stage race (did he do Tour de la Provence)?
Those are his tested numbers, but those are also the tested numbers from the other riders (same conditions and protocol)..
Old 02-19-20, 04:49 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

On that note, Quintana's performance on Ventoux was extremely suspect. I know he's got the "nothing" face, but most of the pictures and video of that climb had him pretty much breathing through his nose - at an estimated 6.8 W/kg - for over 28 minutes. Apart from the initial attack (Sepp did 650W for 16 seconds and got dropped like a murder weapon), he looked like he was riding in Z2 the entire way up. And this is all AFTER holding >415W for almost 7 minutes prior to the attack.

I know he's a freak, but that hearkened back to the late 90's early 2000's dirty days. I'm 90% sure there's something fishy going on.

This is not the face of someone that JUST SET THE RECORD GOING UP VENTOUX

I checked weather underground. Wind changed to be from the southeast around that time of day. Decent enough to matter. Basically right up the slope.

Other than dope, just a hunch the wind helped?
Old 02-19-20, 05:11 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I checked weather underground. Wind changed to be from the southeast around that time of day. Decent enough to matter. Basically right up the slope.

Other than dope, just a hunch the wind helped?
Shorter stage (140 vs 180 km or more), better weather condition (mild 50 F ish weather vs getting baked in 85 F mid afternoon heat ), and shorter climb (the usual climb goes for another 6 km) all help.

In other words, not quite apples to apples. The 6.8 w/kg number also relies on power numbers of Kuss (b/c Kuss is the only one to have published actual power data); the extrapolation assumes that Kuss is at 60 kg, whereas Kuss may be actually 63-64 kg, so that'll knock the 6.8 w/kg number down a bit more (to 6.5 w/kg). 6.5 w/kg is certainly within the realms of possibility.

Last edited by echappist; 02-19-20 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 06:02 PM
cmh

Those are his tested numbers, but those are also the tested numbers from the other riders (same conditions and protocol)..
I should have been specific. I was referring to the 28k kJ of work over 31+ hours in 7 days. Was that a training week or a stage race? Either way that amount of work would put any of us mortals into a coma.
Old 02-19-20, 07:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
I should have been specific. I was referring to the 28k kJ of work over 31+ hours in 7 days. Was that a training week or a stage race? Either way that amount of work would put any of us mortals into a coma.
6k+ calories a day to maintain.
That's an exhausting amount of food to eat.
Old 02-19-20, 09:31 PM
big john

6k+ calories a day to maintain.
That's an exhausting amount of food to eat.
Ever watch "My 600 pound life"? When I did loaded touring I ate about 6000 calories per day. I carried food on the bike, pigged out at dinner, and hit the market after dinner to get road food for the next day and snacks for that night.
Old 02-19-20, 11:04 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Ever watch "My 600 pound life"? When I did loaded touring I ate about 6000 calories per day. I carried food on the bike, pigged out at dinner, and hit the market after dinner to get road food for the next day and snacks for that night.
All the time, lol. My wife loves it (it's on at this minute, midnight here, going to bed with it on, one of our go tos)

And yeah, there was one the other night, for breakfast he had 2 medium pizzas, a cheese bread thing, and a cinnamon thing. And then had second breakfast shortly after...

I've only eaten like that rarely, on the days I did 100+ miles inside a big block I'd need like 5k or so. It was a lot of eating, took a lot of time.
Old 02-19-20, 11:39 PM
big john

All the time, lol. My wife loves it (it's on at this minute, midnight here, going to bed with it on, one of our go tos)

And yeah, there was one the other night, for breakfast he had 2 medium pizzas, a cheese bread thing, and a cinnamon thing. And then had second breakfast shortly after...

I've only eaten like that rarely, on the days I did 100+ miles inside a big block I'd need like 5k or so. It was a lot of eating, took a lot of time.
There was a woman recently who told her daughter " I need something to eat while you make breakfast". I think it's an amazing show and sometimes I really like the people and I root for them to do well. The 2 brothers this season were like that, both very likeable people with a complex past and they came together to help each other.
Some of the people can't get by the victim mentality. "It's not fair" and "you don't understand". I think that doctor understands. What are people like that going to do when he stops working?
Old 02-19-20, 11:45 PM
big john

We were having a snack break on a ride and one of the women, a great climber, was complaining about having been as high as 125 pounds for a time. One of the guys said "My 125 pound life". We lol'ed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.