Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fat tires = Suspension

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fat tires = Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 07:42 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Fat tires = Suspension

Ok folks. Can you help me out with this thought? Are bigger tires also like having suspension?

From my little bit of experience on + and fat tire bikes I’d have to answer yes to this. I think it’s equivalent to having a less expensive suspension.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-20, 07:55 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
No.
Old 04-16-20, 08:18 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I always tried to match the tires to the conditions I'm riding in. Right now it's a mixed bag of pavement, rails to trails, dirt or gravel. Whatever the exploring gives me. Continental Double Fighters do alright. I get enough suspension from a rubber saddle.

Old 04-16-20, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
No.
I agree. But, because I’m me, I’ll expand on that. Tires provide a little suspension but it is completely uncontrolled. It’s a bouncing ball that follows Newton’s Laws of Motion. Real suspension has to follow the same laws but there are ways to control the way they work. Forcing oil through a venturi slows the rebound and makes for better control. The shock (front and rear) follow the terrain rather then bouncing off it. The tires still bounce, of course, but the suspension system slow the bounce considerably.

The difference can be substantial. On a fast rocky downhill, a suspended bike is faster than an unsuspended bike...even one with fat tires. The unsuspended bike bounces from rock to rock and the rider has to either be very good at control or has to slow significantly. The benefits aren’t limited to downhill either. On uphills, the front tire follows the terrain rather then being bounced off the line like a rigid bike does. Rear suspension also “squats” down on the ground and provides traction. A rigid (or even a hardtail) tends to bounce and not provide as much traction on climbs.

The rider’s arms and legs provide the bulk of the suspension on a bike with and without suspension but the suspension system does a very good job of aiding that human provided suspension.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-16-20 at 08:43 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-16-20, 08:41 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
In addition to what's been said above, suspension does not affect rolling resistance.
Old 04-16-20, 08:46 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Yes. It adds some suspension. A small amount. A softer ride.
Old 04-16-20, 08:56 AM
Happy Feet

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking if they equal suspension as in rigid / full suspension mtbs. He has brought this same thing up before in the mountain bike sub forum. Post 24 https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...fork-nada.html
Old 04-16-20, 09:58 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Supercross riders like stiffer suspensions ( typically)

https://motocrossactionmag.com/bare-bones-3/
Old 04-16-20, 10:36 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Of course tires provide suspension. Presumably everyone knows what a pinch flat is? If a pinch flat happens you just used up all the available suspension travel. Obviously a big tire gets more travel than a skinny tire.

As long as there is travel there is suspension. Regulated travel with valves is better suspension than just a bag of air. The simple bag of air does work.

Most riders overinflate so extremely they get little suspension. Those riding current fashion are going overboard the other direction and using so little air they break wheels. But it is just not hard to get some suspension from tires.

In my experience bouncing or pogoing only happens in very specific circumstances. Much more likely with high pressure than low. Also far more likely with cheap tires than the good stuff..
Old 04-16-20, 11:13 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Of course tires provide suspension. Presumably everyone knows what a pinch flat is? If a pinch flat happens you just used up all the available suspension travel. Obviously a big tire gets more travel than a skinny tire.

As long as there is travel there is suspension. Regulated travel with valves is better suspension than just a bag of air. The simple bag of air does work.

Most riders overinflate so extremely they get little suspension. Those riding current fashion are going overboard the other direction and using so little air they break wheels. But it is just not hard to get some suspension from tires.

In my experience bouncing or pogoing only happens in very specific circumstances. Much more likely with high pressure than low. Also far more likely with cheap tires than the good stuff..
this

from my experience
Old 04-16-20, 12:50 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Are bigger tires also like having suspension?
What do you mean by "like having suspension"?

Tires are literally a suspension system. They're usually very low-travel and have pretty low damping, so they're predominantly employed toward dealing with small surface irregularities.

If you're asking about the degree to which they overlap with the role of something like an MTB suspension fork, mostly not much. Those have more travel than most tires, and are set up with aggressive dampers to keep them calm and prevent bouncing. They're designed for dealing with big drops and impacts.
You can theoretically use a tire to similar effect, but it would need to be a huge tire, and putting super-high damping in a tire will add a lot of rolling resistance (since the tire is constantly actuating as the bike rolls).
Old 04-16-20, 04:24 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Supercross riders like stiffer suspensions ( typically)

https://motocrossactionmag.com/bare-bones-3/
Landing huge jumps requires it. Compare that to an enduro woods bike that has softer suspension specifically built to handle tree roots and ruts.

I had a enduro woods bike that no motocrosser of equal skill could beat me on in the woods. But that enduro bike bottomed out hard on mild motocross jumps, let alone attempting supercross jumps. And yes, if you got your butt too low and back on the seat when the rear bottomed out and rebounded, that seat would try to swat you over the bars.

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-16-20 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 04:32 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by HTupolev
What do you mean by "like having suspension"?

Tires are literally a suspension system. They're usually very low-travel and have pretty low damping, so they're predominantly employed toward dealing with small surface irregularities.

If you're asking about the degree to which they overlap with the role of something like an MTB suspension fork, mostly not much. Those have more travel than most tires, and are set up with aggressive dampers to keep them calm and prevent bouncing. They're designed for dealing with big drops and impacts.
You can theoretically use a tire to similar effect, but it would need to be a huge tire, and putting super-high damping in a tire will add a lot of rolling resistance (since the tire is constantly actuating as the bike rolls).
At the right pressure, tires sure can smooth out road ripples and poorly laid concrete. Same with small rocks, acorns, etc. Don't gravel riders run wider tires and lower pressures than roadies?
Old 04-16-20, 04:58 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
At the right pressure, tires sure can smooth out road ripples and poorly laid concrete. Same with small rocks, acorns, etc. Don't gravel riders run wider tires and lower pressures than roadies?
Yes. When surfaces get rougher, people use larger tires pumped squishy to deal with the bigger surface irregularities.
Old 04-16-20, 05:27 PM
Happy Feet

I have a decent quality rigid fat bike, a rigid 26", a hardtail 26" and a FS 27.5. There is a world of difference between them on technical terrain. On groomy stuff maybe not so much.

rigid 26 I have to pick my lines very carefully and go slow, hardtail and rigid fatbike are more forgiving and a little faster. FS goes over the same stuff faster with way less consideration. At first it's a little disconcerting just how much you can breeze over that otherwise would have caused concern. Particularly hitting larger ledges and/or drops. It feels a little dangerous until you get used to it. A rigid, even with fat tires can do some of the same stuff but not to the extreme and certainly not as fast.

If all one rides is rail or flow trails there may not seem like much difference in performance but as soon as you add speed and more than 6" of vertical impact you begin to see what full suspension can do.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-16-20, 05:44 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If you run fat tires at quite low pressure, there will be a lot of give, acting a little like suspension. However, if you run the pressure that low, there is increased rolling resistance, requiring more effort to pedal.

So for best performance, you need to run fat tires at a pressure where there is only a small amount of give. As a result there is not a huge range of movement. So they are not really like suspension.

If you ride on a gravel road, for example, or a road with a rough surface, you do get a slightly smoother ride.

Some benefit comes when there may be narrow holes that narrow tires may drop into, but wider fat tires get support from a wider area, and do not drop into narrow holes.
Old 04-16-20, 07:12 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
If you run fat tires at quite low pressure, there will be a lot of give, acting a little like suspension.
The operative word there is “little”. It’s not much. There is a limit that depends on how “fat” the tires are.

Originally Posted by alo
However, if you run the pressure that low, there is increased rolling resistance, requiring more effort to pedal.

So for best performance, you need to run fat tires at a pressure where there is only a small amount of give. As a result there is not a huge range of movement. So they are not really like suspension.

If you ride on a gravel road, for example, or a road with a rough surface, you do get a slightly smoother ride.

Some benefit comes when there may be narrow holes that narrow tires may drop into, but wider fat tires get support from a wider area, and do not drop into narrow holes.
I fully agree with the caveat that any suspension from the tires or even a long travel bicycle suspension is small in comparison to the suspension provided by the rider’s arms and legs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-16-20, 07:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have a decent quality rigid fat bike, a rigid 26", a hardtail 26" and a FS 27.5. There is a world of difference between them on technical terrain. On groomy stuff maybe not so much.

rigid 26 I have to pick my lines very carefully and go slow, hardtail and rigid fatbike are more forgiving and a little faster. FS goes over the same stuff faster with way less consideration. At first it's a little disconcerting just how much you can breeze over that otherwise would have caused concern. Particularly hitting larger ledges and/or drops. It feels a little dangerous until you get used to it. A rigid, even with fat tires can do some of the same stuff but not to the extreme and certainly not as fast.

If all one rides is rail or flow trails there may not seem like much difference in performance but as soon as you add speed and more than 6" of vertical impact you begin to see what full suspension can do.
pretty much what I have experienced as well

I would add cost into the issue as well (if you don’t have a lot of cash a fat bike or + bike may be a good option for trail riding that will work for someone)
Old 04-16-20, 08:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you consider an undamped spring “suspension”, then kinda yes.

But in practice it is not at all the same as a suspension fork or rear shock. Not even remotely close.

As others have pointed out, it works for relatively small surface irregularities.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-16-20 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 08:53 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Larger tires do indeed add a fair amount of suspension to your bike. The tires compress over bumps and holes just like the shocks or elastomers in a suspension system do. Larger tires at lower pressure allow for more compression, and while you do not get as much suspension travel as a suspension for or rear swingarm system, you get enough to make a noticeable difference. The tradeoff is that lower pressures increase rolling resistance. Shock absorbers add damping to the suspension, but your own body weight does most of the damping.

I used to work in a tire shop when I was younger and dumber, and many of my young and dump friends swapped out the original tires and wheels on their cars for larger diameter wheels and lower profile tires. And while we thought this looked very cool, it make the cars drive much more roughly.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-16-20, 09:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you think pneumatic tires don't provide suspension, ride a bike with steel tire.

It is just little suspension without dampening.

Tire and frame and fork design also play a role.

All depends an your riding and skills. Arms and legs are good suspension too, but require you to maneuver around and get out of the saddle.
Old 04-17-20, 10:50 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If you consider an undamped spring “suspension”, then kinda yes.

But in practice it is not at all the same as a suspension fork or rear shock. Not even remotely close.

As others have pointed out, it works for relatively small surface irregularities.
Sure thing. Just like horse buggies, carriages, and wagons with ironclad wooden wheels and springs mounted between the axles and the body of the vehicle.

Of course, not many of us would put up with that now.
Old 04-17-20, 11:01 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Ok folks. Can you help me out with this thought? Are bigger tires also like having suspension?
Of course it is. Any kind of elastic structural element between you and the ground acts like a "suspension" (as long as it is not bottomed out).

But this is obvious. Which in turn makes one wonder what your question is intended to be about.
Old 04-17-20, 11:06 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Of course it is. Any kind of elastic structural element between you and the ground acts like a "suspension" (as long as it is not bottomed out).

But this is obvious. Which in turn makes one wonder what your question is intended to be about.
Yeah, I guess the title of this thread should have been "Fat Tires = Useful MTB Suspension?"

The answer to that is "no".
Old 04-17-20, 01:27 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I guess we could add a 29er bike over a 27.5 bike. 29er rolls obstacles easier than a 27.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.