Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980s Fuji America Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 02:06 PM
Tepee0522

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1980s Fuji America Bike

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking to get into biking. I came across a 1980s Fuji America bike being sold for $250. Seller says it has all original parts except for recently replaced bar tape, chain, brake pads, cables/housing, pedals, and tires. I have two questions that I'm hoping might get answered.
1. Is this a good deal for this bike?
2. I am looking to use it as a commuter on occasion (it gets real hot in Texas) and for exercise. I'm hoping to be able to do some longer distance rides in the future as well. Would this bike be able to handle that?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.
Old 04-29-20, 02:33 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
This one? Looks like a nice bike and those tires are not cheapies, but I don't think it's as original as claimed though that may or may not be at all important. I fou can get the SN you can probably date the bike and find a catalog scan.
Old 04-29-20, 04:07 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
If it is that one ^^^^^^, it's a minor mystery. The colorway does not match the America model in any of the catalogs from about '78 to '83 - https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/archive . Different shades of blue. for both the main and contrast colors. Braze-on top tube cable guides suggest it's an '82 or '83, but the components are a mish-mash, Arabesque driveline except for the 105 RD, what appear to be original DiaCompe 500 brake calipers, some swapped in aero (Shimano SLR maybe?) brake levers with no hoods. Apparently either the bike received "upgrades" over its time, or was stripped and cobbled back together for a flip. Just has that appearance of a bike that was put together from the parts bin, which, IMHO, makes it a $100 bike.
Old 04-29-20, 05:24 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
If it is that one ^^^^^^, it's a minor mystery. The colorway does not match the America model in any of the catalogs from about '78 to '83 - https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/archive . Different shades of blue. for both the main and contrast colors. Braze-on top tube cable guides suggest it's an '82 or '83, but the components are a mish-mash, Arabesque driveline except for the 105 RD, what appear to be original DiaCompe 500 brake calipers, some swapped in aero (Shimano SLR maybe?) brake levers with no hoods. Apparently either the bike received "upgrades" over its time, or was stripped and cobbled back together for a flip. Just has that appearance of a bike that was put together from the parts bin, which, IMHO, makes it a $100 bike.
I think you're seeing what I'm seeing. I'm not very familiar with the old Fuji bikes except for a brief time in the early 70s and I'm only familiar with the America model from pictures. That being said, it looks like they were Suntour equipped, probably with barcons and almost all the photos I can see show triple cranks. Wheels don't look like what would have been with the bike, either. But, what's there looks to me to be more than a $100 bike.
Old 04-29-20, 05:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
pic assist

Old 04-29-20, 10:01 PM
Tepee0522

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone is correct. This is the bike that I was talking about.
Old 04-30-20, 11:56 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Here's a $100 version, as a reference: https://www.bikeforums.net/21446351-post55501.html

https://offerup.co/cwQsl2OR55

Couple years older, not as clean, but more original.

Interesting, these two bikes are the same colorway, but it's not the same as any of the catalog listings, for any years of the model run. Maybe it's just the way those colors came in when the catalogs were scanned.
Old 04-30-20, 12:48 PM
Tepee0522

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the research and responses. I am going to look at it in person soon. The original parts aren't that important to me, I am more interested in knowing if this bike will hold up for a bit longer to see if I want to get into biking as a more serious hobby? Since everyone here is way more knowledgeable about it than I am, would I be making a mistake buying this bike? Thanks.
Old 04-30-20, 01:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Fuji Americas were top end bikes back in the day. The frame on that bike is top notch. The parts have been changed but they're pretty decent throughout. This is an OK price on that bike if it checks out. Look to see that there are no dings on the frame and that the paint looks straight. Also ride and see how it rides. Checks the wheels for trueness. Hold up the front and turn the wheel; do the same for the rear. Keep an eye on the brake pads as you turn the wheels to check to trueness; if the wheels wobble too much, that can be a problem and adjust the price down.

This is more like a $200 bike as is an any case. That said, this is one sweet bike and a real keeper if you like it.
Old 04-30-20, 08:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's a pretty cool bike. But................................................................................................. ........................................................(I really hate those red pedals). SORRY
Old 04-30-20, 08:47 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Looks like a fairly large frame, If it fits and you like it, the price might be a touch high but it's not unreasonable. Assuming it's in good operating condition.
Old 05-01-20, 03:57 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I’m more like $175 on this one. Nice enough bike but a seriously mixed bag of components that don’t command a higher price. Pretty sure the hoods for those levers will be unobtanium.