Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Road machine & wahoo hate each other.

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 04-30-20, 05:08 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts

So heres my set up.
Wahoo Element, that is normally paired to a Garmin speed/cadence unit. And I have a brand new Kinetic road machine.
If I use the trainer static, just get on and ride. It works fine. No problems.
If I use the Wahoo preprogrammed workouts, my speed readings are in the hundreds of miles an hour.
I reached out to both Wahoo, and Kinetic and recieved very little help. The kinetic folks were kind enough to tell me I need to set my wheel size to 170mm . But, there is no way to do that. I have it set for 23 x 700c , as that is what it defaults to.
The other issue is pausing. It pauses 15 times an hour. Drives my absolutely nuts. I have to stare at the readout so I can catch it to restart it.
Does anyone have any insight?
Old 05-01-20, 04:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Not sure what a kinetic road machine is but I assume you plug it into the wall. Make sure the controller has good batteries.

in case it is pertinent...blue tooth or ant?
Old 05-02-20, 07:18 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Not sure what a kinetic road machine is but I assume you plug it into the wall. Make sure the controller has good batteries.

in case it is pertinent...blue tooth or ant?
Kurt Kinetic trainer, Road Machine is the model. No plugging in. Brand new battery in the sensor. Pretty sure its ant.
Old 05-02-20, 07:35 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Have you looked at DC Rainmakers review? Sometimes he gives very helpful tips especially on set up.
Old 05-02-20, 11:22 PM
spelger

Since you have a separate speed/cadence unit then i assume you attach that to your bike somehow. the road machine i assume only has a power sensor. so, take the bike off the trainer and ride with the speed/cadence sensor using the element just to make sure that part of the setup still works. if so, back onto the trainer but only use the road machine, no cadence/speed sensor, see if that works. if so then there is likely a compatibility issue between the two sensors.

i have a wahoo cadence sensor and a kicker which provides speed and power. also a HRM, everythign is ant+ running with a PC it operates fine. when out on teh road i only have hrm and cadence, bluetooth wiht iphone, operates fine.

i would assume the element uses only ant+. dropping out 15 times an hour...it is like clockwork? or random? that is every 4 minutes if like clockwork, maybe somethign is timing out and going to sleep?

make sure the element is close to the sensors.

are you alone when you do this or in a group setting? trying to understand why the excessive speed. maybe some other external interference like a microwave oven, ant+ frequendcies are very close to microwave oven freq (2.4GHz). in this trainer setting you might try just the cadence/speed sensor and no power sensor (remove battery to do that, make sure that removing battery while operating will be ok first).

just thinking of some ideas.

s-cott
Old 05-03-20, 12:13 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Do you have the Wahoo set to indoor mode when doing a workout? If it's auto-pausing, then either it isn't using your speed sensor at all, or preferring GPS.
Old 05-03-20, 08:59 AM
spelger

had a quick look at the power sensor, it comes either bluetooth or ant+. ant was teh cheaper of the two. not sure if running ant and bluetooth are compatible. also, teh sensors do not talk to each other, they just broadcast and likely step on each other. it is the receiver's job to sort all that out. i don't think the ant protocol has any kind of data integrity built in, not any that i have read at least. i think bluetooth is better in that regard though.
Old 05-03-20, 09:02 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by surak
Do you have the Wahoo set to indoor mode when doing a workout? If it's auto-pausing, then either it isn't using your speed sensor at all, or preferring GPS.
that is certainly somethign to look at. i don't have this device but since he is seeing speeds in the hundreds of miles per hour it seems to me that the data from the sensors is overlapping and screwing up things.

on the other hand maybe it is time to just sit back, ride, and beat old speed records.