Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crank arm length

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 08:58 PM
eisnic

Bikes: Several, all old steel things.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
As some others have asserted, 165's will definitely be better for you than 175's given your stature and leg length. I'm shorter than you are and ride even shorter cranks, and that choice was originally made to save my knees. It worked. I found though that shorter cranks made the overall fit of the bike feel better, and helped to enable a higher cadence which is also good for your knees. Just make sure that you pick cranks that will permit ring choices providing a wide gear range, particularly if you're intending to haul much of a load.
Old 05-19-20, 09:24 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
175 might work for you but expect to make some bike fit adjustments over time to find what works.

I'm 5'11" and have 170, 172.5 and 175 cranks. For a few years I was in the "makes no difference" crowd. But the past year I notice, probably due to injuries and age. With the 175 cranks it's really easy to develop knee strain either from the saddle being too low for the knee angle at top of stroke, or lower back/hip pain from hyperextension with the leg fully extended. I still have and use 172.5 cranks but prefer 170.

If I was 5'6" with a 30" inseam, I wouldn't get 175 cranks. I'd go for 170, 172.5 at most, maybe even shorter if I could find 165 or shorter.

When I first tried 170 cranks they felt less efficient. My leg didn't seem to be working as much. But in fact I was consistently faster and less fatigued during and after rides.
I think that you have found a crank length that fits your cadence more than your leg length. It is easier to spin 170's than 175's and crank length might be tied more closely to cadence than leg length.
Old 05-19-20, 09:32 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Ah yes, the hill I'm likely to die on. I'll skip the complaining and just support the OP's decision to go with 165mm cranks; his knees will thank him. Sugino makes a very pretty (and rather expen$ive) crank in a variety of short lengths, the XD600T. Also, here's a discussion of the topic from a PT/bike fitter.
As with most people that don't have real training he is self trained. I won't nay-say him but neither will I agree with him. At 6'4" I find that whatever you get used to works fine.
Old 05-20-20, 04:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
As with most people that don't have real training he is self trained. I won't nay-say him but neither will I agree with him. At 6'4" I find that whatever you get used to works fine.
To be fair, at 6'4" you're used to short cranks, not long ones. Very different experience from us short people.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-21-20, 10:14 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
To be fair, at 6'4" you're used to short cranks, not long ones. Very different experience from us short people.
Yeah, anyone over 6’ tall talking about how short cranks are bad is not thinking very hard.

Anyone over 6’ tall saying crank length doesn’t matter? I heartily agree - there is no known benefit to going with longer cranks. Go as short as you reasonably please.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-21-20, 11:59 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
It is easier for a person with longer legs to get used to a shorter crank, and be fine with them, than for a person with shorter legs to ride a bike with long cranks. The person with short legs can have issues with their hips and knees with the longer cranks, whereas the person with the longer legs will not.
Likes For phughes: