Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 02-19-20, 10:53 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
m_sasso VintageTTfan

Selle Italia Prairie saddle
Solvent green, well done, thanks for that Miguel!

Last edited by m_sasso; 02-19-20 at 10:57 PM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 02-19-20, 10:55 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
what is the purpose of the ring at the back?
Ebay seller says its for "lumbar support" which is ridiculous of course. Must be an "English as a second language" problem. I'm sure he meant lumber support -- you can strap some 2x4s there to bring construction materials back from the Home Despot.

At only $350, I just wish he had more of them. Think of how much lumber me and the wife could bring home if we strapped the lumber to our two bikes and rode side by side.

My other thought was it's for Madison racing -- a handle for throwing your teammate in.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-20-20, 03:48 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
I read somewhere the back part was for more tooshie support when climbing in the saddle
There were a few attempts to achieve more oomph by providing sort of a backrest (since this was a bit against the rules, other reasons were given, like "lumbar support" etc) -
Selle Italia had the Appoggio Lombare,

Corima had the Ultra Pro,

Concor hat the Concor Sprint

all of them were ugly and got banned. I'm sure there were more of those...
Likes For martl:
Old 02-20-20, 03:54 PM
martl
Strong Walker

speaking of Corima, did we have these beauties yet?

Contreau

Fox

and of course the cougar
Likes For martl:
Old 02-20-20, 06:29 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts

Beautiful Japanese Track frame...love the words on the top tube.

If my memory serves me right I have only seen such writing of phrases on Japanese bicycles (not other countries). I am speaking strictly of vintage classic bicycles. If anyone knows of other cases or about the phenomenon. let us know. A bit of esoterica......
Rather humorous on this Trionic. Multi-sport made by Takeru Kageyama. Serial 3137. Not to be confused with the production based Hummingbird, though shared a popular paint scheme.

Proprietary Zunow tubes from Tange. Seat tube is called 'horn system' for its transition round to oval at the bottom bracket. 'Ditchex' for the top tube linear gutter that stiffens and also partially tucks in the cable. 'Pentagla' chain stay for its five sided taper. Interesting he used Italian Columbus dropouts and fork ends. The lugs are very attractive, especially the bb shell.

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-20-20 at 06:39 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 02-20-20, 06:38 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Of all of the time trial bikes I've ever seen, this is the one I wish I had... An early 1950s Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, from a time and place when many time trialists had to ride their bikes back home after the events. I saw it sell twice on Ebay UK a couple of years ago when I could not afford it... Alas!

-Gregory
Cash in the ranch, cattle stock and all~~ this IS the one to have!
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 02-20-20, 11:22 PM
crank_addict
Banned

^ Thank you for the comp's. Its probably the only bike I have that draws smile or admiration from non-cyclist. The color pop at first but if its parked, I'll point out a few details in the lugs and undersized of the bottom bracket. They immediately pick up on the bike as being art.
-----

Anyways, not sure if this image of the '94 Once team 'black hole' has been posted. Zoom zoom

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 02-21-20, 07:18 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Rather humorous on this Trionic. Multi-sport made by Takeru Kageyama. Serial 3137. Not to be confused with the production based Hummingbird, though shared a popular paint scheme.

Proprietary Zunow tubes from Tange. Seat tube is called 'horn system' for its transition round to oval at the bottom bracket. 'Ditchex' for the top tube linear gutter that stiffens and also partially tucks in the cable. 'Pentagla' chain stay for its five sided taper. Interesting he used Italian Columbus dropouts and fork ends. The lugs are very attractive, especially the bb shell.
nice bike! The frame looks/sounds like the spitting image of my Z1, which has the pentaglia, the ditchex etc... does yours have the biplane brake bridge, too?

Likes For martl:
Old 02-21-20, 08:02 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by martl
nice bike! The frame looks/sounds like the spitting image of my Z1, which has the pentaglia, the ditchex etc... does yours have the biplane brake bridge, too?

Z1 is super! Anyways, they do share tubing features and lug but the Trionic stay bridge is different and not near as cool. Somewhere I have the specs, do believe there's a slight difference in geometry, possible having a lower bb height. Have yet to nail down exact year of production, though best guess is 1988/89.

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-21-20 at 08:06 AM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 02-21-20, 07:12 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 708 Posts
How about these old school looking tri bars I purchased today

Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-22-20, 08:29 PM
malcala622

Wonder how much those sold for back in the day. Do you know the make of it?

Im still trying to figure out the brand of these bars. All I can see on the is "Computer Tech heat treated" near the clamp area.

Weird clamp diameter too at 24.0mm
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-23-20, 01:05 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Im still trying to figure out the brand of these bars. All I can see on the is "Computer Tech heat treated" near the clamp area.

Weird clamp diameter too at 24.0mm
They are Scott DH bars. They came with a shim to go from 24 to 26 mm.

I got one once in a pile of stuff that came as a lot. I gave them away at the white elephant gift exchange at my racing club's winter party. You know the kind with the rule that as each person's number is called, they can either take a new wrapped present off the pile, or steal any one of the presents that have already been unwrapped. Then the person whose present has been stolen can go again. Desirable presents got stolen over and over until the last person's turn. No one ever stole the Scott bars! I'd have to describe it as a gag gift. We were a bunch of roadies though -- might have been different if we were triathletes.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-24-20, 01:23 PM
malcala622

bulgie Thanks for identifying the bars. I like them alot and they fit the Krono build. Ill have to find some shims for them but itll be a fun challenge since theyre not common sized.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-25-20, 02:26 PM
malcala622

The more i see that Mavic setup on a TT bike the more I want to put it on my build.

Last edited by malcala622; 02-25-20 at 03:03 PM.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-26-20, 11:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
They are Scott DH bars. They came with a shim to go from 24 to 26 mm.

I got one once in a pile of stuff that came as a lot. I gave them away at the white elephant gift exchange at my racing club's winter party. You know the kind with the rule that as each person's number is called, they can either take a new wrapped present off the pile, or steal any one of the presents that have already been unwrapped. Then the person whose present has been stolen can go again. Desirable presents got stolen over and over until the last person's turn. No one ever stole the Scott bars! I'd have to describe it as a gag gift. We were a bunch of roadies though -- might have been different if we were triathletes.
The Scott DH might have gotten nabbed at the party, if someone had gotten a Profile Aero III. The Scott DH sold for $69.50 when they were introduced in 1988.

The Scott DH, similar Profile Aero I and more convoluted Aero III served a purpose in that they were UCI compliant. At the time, there was a rule stating that aerodynamic equipment was illegal is they provided solely an aerodynamic benefit. However, if the aero portion was integral with the portion of the bar used during non-aero ridng the bars were legal, as you couldn't steer the bicycle without them. Conversely, a clip-on aero bar was technically illegal, though the UCI and TDF officals decided to look the other way when Lemond used them in the 1989 TdF.

The colours are off in the attached Aero III pic. Try to imagine them in a bright neon yellow. This is also one of the few angles where they look half way decent, as it tends to minimize all the twists and turns.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-26-20, 12:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

There were a few attempts to achieve more oomph by providing sort of a backrest (since this was a bit against the rules, other reasons were given, like "lumbar support" etc) -
Selle Italia had the Appoggio Lombare,

Corima had the Ultra Pro,

Concor hat the Concor Sprint

all of them were ugly and got banned. I'm sure there were more of those...

And for those into butt thruster apparatus, Larry B. of 'Mount Airy' has this avail on ebay. Rumor has it they were banned for being so fugly!
Minoura

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-26-20 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 02-26-20, 06:27 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by crank_addict
And for those into butt thruster apparatus, Larry B. of 'Mount Airy' has this avail on ebay. Rumor has it they were banned for being so fugly!
Minoura
In case it is not immediately evident to members, these devices also doubled as a dual bottle holder. Like the (slightly) more aesthetically pleasing Profile PiggyBack, they were intended primarily for Ironman distance triathlons where you wanted to carry more water. The drawback was the increased height above the saddle. While they provided a relatively solid back rest to provide more driving force into the pedals, they could be an issue at transitions when mounting and dismounting. You get into the habit of swinging your leg just high enough to clear the saddle and I've witnessed several cases where riders forgot to compensate for the extra height of a PiggyBack, swung their leg into the device and knocked themselves and the bicycle over.

Similar situations used to happen with the Softride suspension beam bicycles, as you set the unloaded saddle height several inches higher than normal, to allow for compression when seated on the saddle. I saw one rider swing his his leg into the saddle, knock himself over and take down several other duathletes with him. It was almost like watching a row of toppling dominoes and despite their misfortune, it was hard not to laugh at melee of flailing arms and legs, accompanied by a plethora of cursing. Had my transition been a few seconds faster, I would have been in the middle of the fracas.

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-27-20 at 04:56 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-27-20, 10:22 AM
T-Mar

speaking of Corima, did we have these beauties yet....
Every time I see a Corima bicycle, Big Joe Turner's version of Corrine, Corrina starts playing in my head. It's been playing for a week now. Damn you!

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-27-20 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-02-20, 04:12 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Gentlemen, i regret to inform you we're not done with the weird saddles yet

thierry Marie's 1986 weapon: This Gitane. He won the TdF prologue on it so it can't be all bad:

Likes For martl:
Old 03-03-20, 01:28 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Anyone have any knowledge on gold plated parts and the history of it? Or how long the gold plating lasts?
I tink the gold plating was a fashion late 70ies/early eighties (there have been Peugeots with gold anodized parts earlier).
How long it lasts seems to depend a lot on how well it was done, possibly thickness of the gold layer. My gold plated Casati frame seems to have a very nice and durable coating, no signs of it getting thinner/transparent even on the chainstay. The gold plating on the ICS parts that are on it is nice, too, but starts to show signs of wear and tear especially on the cranks which see the most natural stress by the shoe rubbing on it; We've all seen the effect on cheap jewelry and watches, where the base material color is showing on the edges quite quickly.
Who did the plating on the Campagnolo cranks i have no idea, they are often dubbed as ICS but i highly doubt it as they don't have the modifications that ICS did. In the industrial parts of Italy there are countless jewelry makers, and any one of them could have done that
Likes For martl:
Old 03-03-20, 08:07 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

I guess the idea is shock absorption or something??? Not really sure....if anyone knows about this saddle or its purpose please let us know.
Isn't that just a fairly normal (if somewhat ugly) saddle sitting on a mirror?
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-04-20, 02:12 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Funny because it does kinda look like it.....but no.....based on an Ebay description it is split into two sections almost and it is bizarre.
nope. bike-vintage takes most of their saddle pics with them sitting on a mirror so you can see both sides. i'm guessing the description refers to the saddle suspension system, some sort of dampening beween the shell and the rails. The marketing folks colud get very flowery about these on occasion.

Last edited by martl; 03-04-20 at 02:20 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 03-04-20, 06:23 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Peueot currently on sale on french "leboncoin"
Likes For martl:
Old 03-04-20, 12:23 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,734 Times in 526 Posts
Wow I think that's the steepest downward facing top tube I've ever seen.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 03-04-20, 05:01 PM
T-Mar

This is a very unique and super cool Colnago. I am thinking it is carbon frame....anyone beg to differ? It is a beautiful design. The black and yellow color scheme is nice and the gold cranks match and fit here. Normally I do not like gold plated stuff because either it tends to flake eventually or it looks gaudy. Anyone have any knowledge on gold plated parts and the history of it? Or how long the gold plating lasts? I need some knowledge on this from you in the know in the forum. The disc wheels are decorated in a unique way that fits also. The handlebar system is nice too. Overall a special bike. It is so important that all the pieces of a bike match and fit together in terms of style. Many people that make their own builds get this aspect wrong......not all....but many.
The subject bicycle is a Colnago C42. It is a carbon fibre frame. One of them surfaced on the forums a couple of months ago and you could read the 'carbon fiber' decal on the chain stay.

Regarding gold plating, the practice goes back to the early days of cycling in the 1890s. At the time, bicycles were advanced technology, very expensive and very popular. Circa 1895, a Columbia would cost an average labourer 3 months wages but that did not stop record sales. Given the status of bicycles at the time, some manufacturers created a showcase model to further their marque's prestige. They often featured exotic materials and finishes (see attached pics)

In the very late 1930s CCM gave gold plated versions of their top of the line Flyer model to several prominent racers whom had represented the company during the inter-war years, the most famous being Torchy Peden.

I believe there is a forum thread titled something along the lines of "Are You a Gold Member?', featuring lots of pictures of gold anodized and gold plated frames and components.

Likes For T-Mar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.