Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Best value 3-bolt pedals?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 12:09 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts

Just got a smart trainer, which means I don't need my PowerTap P2 pedals on the trainer bike anymore. I'd like to get some 3-bolt compatible pedals, but had some sticker shock when finding out the MSRP on SPD-SL pedals (besides my P2s, I'd only ever bought very inexpensive SPD pedals). Since it's just for indoor use, can I just get whatever, or does pedal quality still matter for a dedicate indoor setup?
Old 03-27-20, 05:08 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
If P2 cleats are keo compatible, it would make sense to get the keo classic or similar. I think the U.K. stores may have them for as low as 35 American. Of course, check your cleat compatibility.

PS: unless of course you have a dedicated “indoor” shoe, and don’t mind running multiple cleat/pedal systems. In that case get whatever’s the cheapest
Old 03-27-20, 09:20 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
spd-sl are different from what power meter pedals support. The p2 and assioma pedals are look-keo compatible, I believe shimano won't license spd-sl to be used for power meters.
Old 03-27-20, 09:37 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

I have dedicated indoor shoes, so cleat compatibility isn't an issue. The cheapest ones I could find all seem to be meant for beginners and tout being able to clip out more easily, is that going to make them feel less secure during an intense workout?
Old 04-06-20, 05:09 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I have dedicated indoor shoes, so cleat compatibility isn't an issue. The cheapest ones I could find all seem to be meant for beginners and tout being able to clip out more easily, is that going to make them feel less secure during an intense workout?
Almost certainly not. It would have to be a very intense, high-torque, low-cadence workout to threaten to unclip you on a home trainer.

Pairs of Look Keo classic, or Keo Sprint, or Keo Easy can usually be had for $35-$40 all over the internet (Planet Cyclery has them right now, for example).
Old 04-15-20, 11:22 PM
surak

I ended up buying Shimano R550 pedals after reading that they were the cheapest metal-plated SPD-SL pedals available. Got them at a big discount from Merlin and have used for a few rides, they seem perfectly adequate. Given that there looks to be a lot of indoor cycling in my future, I went for something that has good reviews on reliability.