Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Static Trainer tailbone troubles

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 04-17-20, 08:29 AM
hillsider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been riding for years with no issues, but spent more time on my Wahoo Kickr trainer this past winter. I noticed I got a bit "numb" downstairs (I'm male BTW) at times and recently developed some tailbone pain. I'm currently off the bike for 2 weeks and it seems to be easing - just wondered if anyone had experienced similar on a static trainer in the past. I never stand up on it, so am assuming I put too much pressure on my tailbone. Bike was set up professionally and I never had issues when riding on the road. Thanks!
Old 04-17-20, 11:41 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Indoor trainer use will cause a bit of discomfort "down there". Reason being, outside, you move around a lot on the saddle while riding. Keeping your balance, leaning into turns, standing on the pedals... INdoors, you sit almost the entire time. I'm in that same boat. I resorted to a comfort saddle, and it lets me go more than an hour, but that still doesn't stop it completely. I don't stand on the pedals much as I wear a hard plastic ankle brace. I just try and move around some on the saddle as I ride indoors. It helps, but isn't perfect.
Old 04-17-20, 11:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I never worried too much about numbness, because it has happened to me occasionally over the last many decades and no body parts ever stopped working. I have had tailbone pain because of the trainer. Not having that problem right now, but the first week this trainer season was bad. I didn't do anything to make it go away. I had previously put the same kind of saddle on my trainer bike that I have on my road bike. Right now, I'm very close to assembling a rocker plate with fore-aft movement. I hope that does away with any possibility of tailbone problems.
Old 04-17-20, 11:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Moved here from general cycling
Old 04-18-20, 01:44 AM
hillsider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback - I'm clearly not alone! Will see how it goes once I can ride more outdoors and move around more on the bike.
Likes For hillsider:
Old 04-18-20, 03:26 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
If you don't have a reason to avoid standing, then try to do so for a minute every 10 minutes. I've had my Kickr for a couple weeks and rode 4.5 hours at endurance pace last Sunday with a single break in between, no comfort issues. I used to ride rollers with fixed front fork, which lets the bike move around more than a direct drive trainer, but my butt couldn't take it on anything nearing an hour until I started getting out of the saddle.

Same approach applies for long outdoor rides too. Rode my first double century with zero posterior pain because I set an alert every 20 minutes on my bike computer to remind me to stand.
Old 04-18-20, 12:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Standing is good
Old 04-20-20, 04:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4916 Post(s)
Liked 8,019 Times in 3,793 Posts
I have fairly regular tailbone pain. I get it on the trainer, sitting at work, or sitting on my couch. It's not all the time, but pretty regular. On the trainer, giving it a rest by standing for a minute or so definitely helps.
Old 04-20-20, 04:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
Consider a seat with a center groove (many Specialized seats over the years had them) or a Vee shaped depression at the back (the Terry Fly for one). I busted my tailbone decades ago and did not have it fused. I need those seats on all my bikes.

Ben
Old 04-26-20, 11:49 AM
hillsider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again for those taking the time to respond. I'm giving it a few weeks longer and if not better I'll visit my doctor - seems strange how it just appeared this winter after riding on the trainer so much, when I had ridden for years on the road with no issues. That said, I can see how its so different outside, standing up, bike moving around etc - the trainer is very rigid and I was barely standing at all, or moving around. Lesson learned I guess.