Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses--$200+?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sunglasses--$200+?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 09:28 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I can't read my computer when I ride. I use something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Safet...lasses+for+men
Old 10-21-18, 01:23 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Searched this thread for "Foakley" and got nothing. Searched for "fake" and got one.

I have bought both real and fake Oakleys and POCs. Real are slightly better, but only slightly. I will never pay full price for either. See, e.g.: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6V4WrPJF5J2ZoG
Old 10-21-18, 06:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I can't read my computer when I ride. I use something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Safet...lasses+for+men
My Oakley lesnes were specifically designed so that the bottom portion is focused at bike computer distance and the majority of the top of the lenses are focused for distance.

Oakley was able to do this for me at my optician's request. No other lab would touch it.

-Tim-
Old 10-21-18, 09:28 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oakley are expensive but they are also the best cycling eyewear I've ever tried. Optically perfect, great lens options and protection beyond anyone else.
I think any good cycling eyewear is pretty good- Rudy, Tifosi, Smith, etc all make good stuff.
but the lack of distortion and clarity in Oakley lenses is noticable.

Oakley are not charging more for the same product. They are charging more for a quantifiably superior product.

Are they overpriced? Yeah maybe but they are also style leaders too. So, according to the market, maybe they are not overpriced.
They also do a lot in-house and I am happy to be a Oakley customer.
Old 10-22-18, 11:41 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I gladly paid the price. You want to see or you want to be a cheapskate.
Old 10-22-18, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
Oakley are not charging more for the same product. They are charging more for a quantifiably superior product.
Bikeforums heresy to many, if not most (present company excluded, of course).
Old 10-22-18, 12:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by sail
Heh. Reminds me of the thread in Touring. Ortlieb panniers are great products. The you "you cannot go wrong" product to many, especially when it comes to being waterproof. Of course, you pay a premium for the quality. Some Ortlieb hater (and hater of Ortlieb fans) was talking about how his cheap panniers were just as good and mentioned that they keep his gear "reasonably dry." I remarked that I had no idea what "reasonably dry" meant and noted that I like my gear to stay completely dry. Another poster suggested "reasonably dry" was the equivalent of "frugally damp."
Old 10-22-18, 12:35 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I own and wear sunglasses made by Tifosi, Ray Ban, Maui Jims, and Oakley. They are an essential part of my outdoor gear.

I also own a half dozen $6 eBay specials, so once they get scratched you just throw them into the recycling.

Each to their own, but after wearing high quality cycling or driving or hiking sunglasses there's no going back. I don't wear them for cleaning the gutters, that's what eBay is for....
Old 10-22-18, 03:36 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
I wear Rudy glasses. They have Transitions lenses and a bifocal prescription that extends all the way through the blind spot on the sides and an $850 price tag. Insane, yes. But they are my only pair, and sometimes I even forget I'm wearing them.
Old 10-22-18, 03:50 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Most of the time I wear prescription glasses with $10 clip-ons I bought from Costco and amazon.

I used to use contacts with sunglasses but it wasn't worth the extra effort. When I did, the $50 sunglasses worked well enough that I had no desire to seek out costlier sunglasses. These are all plastic lenses after all with identical UV protection.
Old 10-22-18, 06:52 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Everyone has their pricepoint and expectations. That is why there is a segment for everything, including bikes, components and sunglasses.
Old 10-22-18, 06:57 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's a great deal, you can get Oakley Radars for 50% off! No excuse there!
For that price you can buy another lens for different conditions and still be ahead

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I won't pay 200 bucks for a pair of glasses when I know I am going to break them or lose them. I can appreciate quality though. I bought 3 pair of Costa glass lens glasses from Steep an Cheap for $59 a pair. They have a lot of different brands at deeply discounted prices.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/sunglasses?nf=1
Old 10-23-18, 02:00 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, there's a lot of frugal riders on this thread. Not that it's bad but if I'm riding a $6k bike, whether mountain or road, I'm gonna want a lens that doesn't shatter on impact, doesn't glare in the sun, that's vented to keep it from steaming up and somewhat good looking. Maybe it's foolish to spend more but riding around in $25 glasses on the only set of working eyes I'll ever have, seems like maybe it's worth it. After having been to the Oakley headquarters and seeing their research and testing process, I can say with some confidence that hey, these glasses are one less thing to worry about. Then there are other factors such as style, fit, look, color options with both frame and lenses. To each their own and budget is a big factor. It's not a cheap sport for sure but there's an inherent risk every time we mount up. Be safe all!
Old 10-23-18, 03:51 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sail
Yes, because all of us using less expensive glasses can't see anything at all.
Old 10-23-18, 04:41 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by Mansram01
Wow, there's a lot of frugal riders on this thread. Not that it's bad but if I'm riding a $6k bike, whether mountain or road, I'm gonna want a lens that doesn't shatter on impact, doesn't glare in the sun, that's vented to keep it from steaming up and somewhat good looking. Maybe it's foolish to spend more but riding around in $25 glasses on the only set of working eyes I'll ever have, seems like maybe it's worth it. After having been to the Oakley headquarters and seeing their research and testing process, I can say with some confidence that hey, these glasses are one less thing to worry about. Then there are other factors such as style, fit, look, color options with both frame and lenses. To each their own and budget is a big factor. It's not a cheap sport for sure but there's an inherent risk every time we mount up. Be safe all!

What model of oakleys do you use? Unless it is an m-frame designated as meeting the ansi z87.1 standard, they do not meet the industrial standard. Instead they meet the ansi 80.3 general purpose usage standard. So there are two safety standards for glasses. The higher or industrial standard is ANSI Z87.1 Both the frame and lenses must meet this standard independently and both will and must be marked as such if they meet this standard.

Don't be fooled, industry standard polycarbonate is both very cheap and very strong. At least 10x as strong as glass for shatter/impact resistance.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/support/faqARE MY OAKLEY GLASSES ANSI Z87.1 CONFORMING AND OSHA APPROVED?

Eyewear that fully conforms to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z87.1 requirement where both the lens and frame are marked with "Z87" is approved by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for use in environments where eye protection is required. Only Oakley eyewear identified as an industrial model and marked with "Z87" is intended for use in industrial applications.

Currently Oalkey only offers two pairs, the m frames, that meet the industrial standard for both lenses and the frame. If you do not own an m-frame with the ansi z87.1 designation, your oakleys do not meet this particular industrial standard.

The second standard is general purpose and sports usage, ansi z80.3 I. The brand of sports sunglasses I use meet the ansi z80.3 standard. The lenses offer excellent clarity with some ventilation and the frames are well made and comfortable. I paid a small fraction of what Oakley charges.

Oakleys aren't a ripoff in the sense that they get the job done, but plastic is plastic.
Old 10-23-18, 10:35 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by radroad
What model of oakleys do you use? Unless it is an m-frame designated as meeting the ansi z87.1 standard, they do not meet the industrial standard. Instead they meet the ansi 80.3 general purpose usage standard. So there are two safety standards for glasses. The higher or industrial standard is ANSI Z87.1 Both the frame and lenses must meet this standard independently and both will and must be marked as such if they meet this standard.

Don't be fooled, industry standard polycarbonate is both very cheap and very strong. At least 10x as strong as glass for shatter/impact resistance.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/support/faqARE MY OAKLEY GLASSES ANSI Z87.1 CONFORMING AND OSHA APPROVED?

Eyewear that fully conforms to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z87.1 requirement where both the lens and frame are marked with "Z87" is approved by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for use in environments where eye protection is required. Only Oakley eyewear identified as an industrial model and marked with "Z87" is intended for use in industrial applications.

Currently Oalkey only offers two pairs, the m frames, that meet the industrial standard for both lenses and the frame. If you do not own an m-frame with the ansi z87.1 designation, your oakleys do not meet this particular industrial standard.

The second standard is general purpose and sports usage, ansi z80.3 I. The brand of sports sunglasses I use meet the ansi z80.3 standard. The lenses offer excellent clarity with some ventilation and the frames are well made and comfortable. I paid a small fraction of what Oakley charges.

Oakleys aren't a ripoff in the sense that they get the job done, but plastic is plastic.

Very good to know! Thanks for sharing. None of my Oakleys are M-frames but the workmanship, options on my existing frames and the quality of the lens speak for themselves. Not sure if you ever tried their Prizm lenses. You just can't find that type of safety glasses on the cheap. I use them for both mtb & road biking especially under low lighting conditions and being able to see what's in front of you really counts.

As for plastic being plastic, I'm not sure I agree with that comment. During a holiday raffle, I won a knockoff Chinese Oakley Jawbreakers and the plastic on those frames are hard (almost brittle-like) and the edges are somewhat jagged. Yes, they may be plastic but it's definitely not the same quality. As for looks, they can almost pass as the real deal. The lens are actually decent looking except there's already some discoloration on one of the lenses. Perhaps this is anecdotal but it just seems that Oakley frames and lenses offer more flex and give than say a cheaper pair. Not a snob. I just prefer quality over quantity. Heck, I still use my '93 SD yellow shooting glasses for night-riding, and guess what, those are rated Z87.1. I think I got those for around $30-35 back then and they look like new!
Old 10-24-18, 04:30 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Mansram01
Then there are other factors such as style, fit, look, color options with both frame and lenses.
You elitist scum victim of Madison Avenue and Rapha! Cycling should not be about style for anyone. You are doing it all wrong and getting suckered out of your money! Good luck when that $6K plastic bike asplodes! Your elitist Oakley glasses won't save you when that happens.
Old 10-24-18, 09:30 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Not entirely true. Not having the z87.1 designation doesn't mean that they failed to meet the standard.

The lens + frame materials/construction technique is the same for all oakley lenses, and all sport model frames, but Oakley doesn't have them all certified because the cost outweighs the benefit of the ANSI z87.1 designation.

FTR, Oakley offers 4 models with the ANSI z87.1 designation.
Old 10-24-18, 09:50 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
guess I'm in the minority here. Gladly pay for my Costa's (have 3 pair), Maui Jim (2), and Oakley (1). Different styles and lenses for different activities
Old 10-24-18, 12:21 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Not entirely true. Not having the z87.1 designation doesn't mean that they failed to meet the standard.

The lens + frame materials/construction technique is the same for all oakley lenses, and all sport model frames, but Oakley doesn't have them all certified because the cost outweighs the benefit of the ANSI z87.1 designation.

FTR, Oakley offers 4 models with the ANSI z87.1 designation.
Clearly false.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/support/faq

ARE MY OAKLEY GLASSES ANSI Z87.1 CONFORMING AND OSHA APPROVED?

Old 10-24-18, 12:26 PM
noodle soup

Oakley Det Cord and Tombstone are also ANSI z87.1

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You should also understand that meeting the standard, and being certified by ANSI, are not the same thing.

Last edited by noodle soup; 10-24-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 12:44 PM
radroad

Oakley Det Cord and Tombstone are also ANSI z87.1

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9253SI?cid=IP-SGA_180327-GDSANew_DSA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5Sl3tmf3gIVCMNkCh3yMgtEEAAYASAAEgJXBPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You should also understand that meeting the standard, and being certified by ANSI, are not the same thing.
You have no evidence that any other oakleys aside from those explicitly certified meet the ansi standard aside from your saying so. Where is the proof?

Also, the m frames are getting horrible reviews. 3.6/5.

★★★★★ ★★★★★ 3 out of 5 stars.Tony K

· 7 days ago Too Bulky

I look like I escaped from a old folks home Like people look after leaving a optometrist when they have had their eyes dialated

★★★★★ ★★★★★ 1 out of 5 stars.Ll07

· 4 months ago Lens peels

I bought this for my son as a gift and within 3 months the lens began to peel

Last edited by radroad; 10-24-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 05:10 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You elitist scum victim of Madison Avenue and Rapha! Cycling should not be about style for anyone. You are doing it all wrong and getting suckered out of your money! Good luck when that $6K plastic bike asplodes! Your elitist Oakley glasses won't save you when that happens.
For one, I don't own Rapha yet. As for the bike asploding, that's why I have two of everything! Especially my elitist Oakley glasses riding down Madison Avenue!
Old 10-24-18, 06:04 PM
noodle soup

You have no evidence that any other oakleys aside from those explicitly certified meet the ansi standard aside from your saying so. Where is the proof?
All Oakley lenses are made using the same materials, and the same construction methods.

I'm not saying that all their lenses are ANSI certified, but that there is no difference between the ones that aren't certified, and the ones they have certified. I know this as a fact, from the years that I worked for Oakley, and the information I gathered at the factory.
Old 10-24-18, 06:27 PM
radroad

All Oakley lenses are made using the same materials, and the same construction methods.

I'm not saying that all their lenses are ANSI certified, but that there is no difference between the ones that aren't certified, and the ones they have certified. I know this as a fact, from the years that I worked for Oakley, and the information I gathered at the factory.
Like I said, there is no proof. There is no testing of any kind to verify your claim. It is merely hearsay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.