Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 08-26-19, 07:25 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Note that by taking a LIRR out to Wantagh, then riding all of the potential paths to and from and in Jones Beach and TOBAY, than heading north on the Bethpage to Syosset LIRR you could do 45 miles, 85% on paths.
I had a feeling you were getting at something like this. lol As opposed to the 110+ miles it would be if I rode to and from Brooklyn to the course you suggested. I really have to dissect this info and create a course for my Garmin based on this, as it looks like the 45 mile ride you are recommending is really nice. Also, I have a bike rack that comes on and off my car, s if I went that route, I would likely just drive out there. LIRR is a pain in the ass to get to and from as I live in South Brooklyn. Its doable, of course, but driving would likely be easier. Also I have friends in Long Island who would gladly let me crash. So I could also ride out there, one way to Wantagh, the 33 miles you recommended, do the 45 mile course, and then just stay on the Island, with a much more manageable 78+ mile ride. Either way, I will definitely check out the course you are suggesting. Thanks!
Old 08-30-19, 02:44 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Northport Harbor/Asharoken

What. A. Day.

Even Long Island can sometimes almost rate a "10".
Old 08-30-19, 02:49 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Puttered around NW Suffolk for 49 miles.