Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 05:43 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Not sure how you interpreted my post as such, but sure, go ahead and create your strawman to make your case.
Maybe I used too many words.

If you make yourself as invisible as possible and play on a busy highway, then getting smacked is largely your fault. The invisible cyclist caused the accident as well as their own death.

Find straw in that.
Old 09-12-19, 05:53 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike

If you make yourself as invisible as possible and play on a busy highway, then getting smacked is largely your fault. The invisible cyclist caused the accident as well as their own death.

Find straw in that.
My post was about how the media reports cyclist fatalities. But whatever, man. You go ahead and do what you do. 😏
Old 09-12-19, 07:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You could always cut out the superfluous "so."
Old 09-12-19, 09:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

PS: I just re-read @I-Like-To-Bike's response to:"Rare" refers to the frequency of rear end collisions to cyclists, not the frequency of replies to my posts.
Re-read it again. I used the term "rare", to refer to the rarity of anyone actually quoting or responding to any of your wall-of-quotes posts; and so rare that you personally find it gratifying to post a thank you note to the rare responder for wading through the wall of rehashed quotes.
Old 09-12-19, 09:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Closing time?

There's no further discussion here, just sniping. Perhaps it's time to close this thread.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-12-19, 10:07 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. I can't speak for others, but I already admitted that this particular crash would have been difficult to avoid in that final second. Also that it is rare.
Thanks for your replies, @mr.bill and @AlmostTrick.

Rare but it does happen.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You might find that replies to your comments, which you seem overjoyed to receive and acknowledge, would be less rare if your posts were presented in a more readable, less jumbled format without the superfluous quoting of old posts.
And thank you too, @I-Like-To-Bike, for your response. I usually don’t reply in full about my posting style to such critiques until two or more syncophants have chimed in...
Now of course, I’m gratified that other subscribers do read, and indeed reply to my posts.
...PS: I just re-read @I-Like-To-Bike's response;"Rare" refers to the frequency of rear end collisions to cyclists, not the frequency of replies to my posts.
Re-read it again. I used the term "rare", to refer to the rarity of anyone actually quoting or responding to any of your wall-of-quotes posts; and so rare that you personally find it gratifying to post a thank you note to the rare responder for wading through the wall of rehashed quotes.
Thank you again for the favor of a reply. Out of gratitude for your validation of my posts, I did ponder your remarks. At first, I did indeed interpret your remarks as a rebuke of my posting style, but then realized in the context of the above quote chain, the putative interpretation is of a rear end collision as a rare event.

Nonetheless I do acknowledge your out-of-context implication.
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
There's no further discussion here, just sniping. Perhaps it's time to close this thread.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-12-19 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-13-19, 09:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Rare but it does happen.
Right. And you also admit to not properly monitoring your rear view mirror when it happened.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Seriously? People are run down and injured or killed like this all the time. The only difference this time is there was (spectacular) video footage of the event. I have no way to prove this, but my years on BF and other forums have exposed me to a background drip, drip, drip of data on crashes like this and my very unscientific analysis is that there is a clear bias towards the victims being either competitive cyclists participating in open course road events or serious amateur cyclists on training rides. There is a natural paranoia among commuter and recreational cyclists that keeps them out of the flow of motor traffic as much as is possible. Some may argue with me, but I think the lack of fear of cars and/or the desire to clock in personal best elapsed times makes performance cyclists less likely to seek the safety of off road surfaces or use an out of the lane bike positioning.

On that road, whether the passing frequency of cars is one per hour or one per minute, I would be on the shoulder or on another road. On a different road with more curves and/or a lower speed limit I would risk the fog stripe. Those roads often have no shoulder anyway. It may be possible to ride for a long time like the cyclist that got hit and it may be possible to ride like I do and get hit in the first three years of riding. The conversations AFTER a hit where the cyclist(s) were shown to have done everything possible beforehand to forestall a crash take a very different angle of discussion. So do the legal inquiries. FWIW.

P.S. A great many, possibly the majority(!) of cyclists in America fear motor traffic so much that they restrict their riding to exclusively off-road environments. This is sad and unfortunate. The bicycle is an amazing transportation device. I literally could not live as I do without the use of a bicycle several times each day. Bicycles belong on the road but perhaps not all roads. "Take the lane" is unlikely to have saved this cyclist. Any motorist distracted (or triggered) enough not to see (or avoid) a cyclist in clear view ahead would not have moved over whether the cyclist was lane center, lane right, or lane left. What you are calling a 'rare event' has much less to do with driver behavior than to cyclist behavior. The majority of cyclists are not out there on the road to be hit, and even fewer are riding in (or near) the flight path of motor traffic on the roads.
Yes, seriously. All the studies I’ve seen over the years have shown other types of crashes to be more common than hit from behind. Crashes at intersections and crossings are the leaders.

The issue in this particular crash that makes it so uncommon is the motorist unknowingly gliding from a “safe” lane position, into the edge where a cyclist just happened to be at that exact moment, all in about 1 second... Leaving the cyclist almost no time to notice or react, even if he was paying proper attention. Sure it can and did happen, but nothing I’ve read or seen shows that it “happens all the time”?

Riding farther right on the shoulder doesn’t eliminate the risk of being taken out in this rare manner either. I suppose in some instances it may give one another second to notice and react, but not all. If you fear this type of crash, even when taking all precautions and properly monitoring, then maybe don't ride.

Being fully in the lane means every car has to move left to avoid the cyclist. (or slow to their speed) This is much easier to monitor because there is more time to notice any errant behavior, (someone not reacting to your presence), and take one action or another to mitigate it. Riding on the edge/shoulder means you may only may have less than a second to notice the errant motorist who is suddenly on course to take you out. Like what happened here. Riding into the sun does change this equation, so I agree that take the lane may not have prevented it. Then again, if the cyclist was properly monitoring the event, he would have had more than one second to determine the driver did not see him and react accordingly.

Many “competitive cyclists participating in open course road events or serious amateur cyclists on training rides” also eschew the use of a mirror. No matter the lane position, it is simply not possible for a mirrorless cyclist to monitor motorist actions behind them with the same level of speed and accuracy as one with a mirror.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 09-13-19, 09:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Right. I can't speak for others, but I already admitted that this particular crash would have been difficult to avoid in that final second. Also that it is rare.
...Rare but it does happen.
Right. And you also admit to not properly monitoring your rear view mirror when it happened

All the studies I’ve seen over the years have shown other types of crashes to be more common than hit from behind. Crashes at intersections and crossings are the leaders

The issue in this particular crash that makes it so uncommon is the motorist unknowingly gliding from a “safe” lane position, into the edge where a cyclist just happened to be at that exact moment, all in about 1 second... Leaving the cyclist almost no time to notice or react, even if he was paying proper attention. Sure it can and did happen, but nothing I’ve read or seen shows that it “happens all the time”?

Riding farther right on the shoulder doesn’t eliminate the risk of being taken out in this rare manner either. I suppose in some instances it may give one another second to notice and react, but not all. If you fear this type of crash, even when taking all precautions and properly monitoring, then maybe don't ride….

Many “competitive cyclists participating in open course road events or serious amateur cyclists on training rides” also eschew the use of a mirror.

No matter the lane position, it is simply not possible for a mirrorless cyclist to monitor motorist actions behind them with the same level of speed and accuracy as one with a mirror
+10 to the use of mirrors. Regarding my mishap:
When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view.

In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways...
Of course one usually has to more continuously monitor the forward line of travel, intermittently the rear.
…My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”
Furthermore
Regarding the question of taking the lane, I’ve always felt it is a question of pragmatism, though I probably too obsequiously favor keeping the drivers happy by staying FRAP. Recently I posted on this thread:
On a few rides over the past few days I have tried out the more aggressive position, in the right tire track, with very good results. I can easily monitor the driver's responses in my rearview mirror...so far no aggressive maneuvers or honking….

It is still a bit unsettling to take the lane, though my rearview mirrors keep me aware, and I now scan them more frequently, a good thing. I soon determined that at about 30 yards behind me, the driver probably has noticed me, but is not yet impatient.

So at that point I veer rightward to acknowledege the car’s presence and show my cooperative “share the road” attitude.

I did notice that I became so focused on what was happening in front and behind, I had on a couple of occasions to remind myself to watch out for side drives and street intersections.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-13-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-13-19, 10:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

+10 to the use of mirrors.

Of course one usually has to more continuously monitor the forward line of travel, intermittently the rear.
The exception of course is when a bicyclist is riding on a high speed road with few intersections, driveways, or exits/entrances where traffic can enter or leave the road; for example - the road location where the cyclist involved in this accident was riding. In those cases, the high risk to the cyclist is to his rear, not to his front.

This bicyclist was struck from behind by a vehicle that probably would have been clearly seen approaching if the cyclist was even occasionally monitoring traffic to his rear.

And as is obvious, recording video to the rear is useless for monitoring anything in real time.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-13-19, 10:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Yes, seriously. All the studies I’ve seen over the years have shown other types of crashes to be more common than hit from behind. Crashes at intersections and crossings are the leaders.
Counting crash type totals without evaluating the resulting severity of injuries of the various crash types is close to being useless (except for those who manipulate accident stats to promote a personal agenda) unless you consider crash types that are more to likely result in road rash and skinned knees as the equivalent to the type of crashes that are likely to result in death or catastrophic injuries to the bicyclist
Old 09-13-19, 12:46 PM
Jim from Boston

+10 to the use of mirrors. …Of course one usually has to more continuously monitor the forward line of travel, intermittently the rear.
The exception of course is when a bicyclist is riding on a high speed road with few intersections, driveways, or exits/entrances where traffic can enter or leave the road; for example - the road location where the cyclist involved in this accident was riding. In those cases, the high risk to the cyclist is to his rear, not to his front.

This bicyclist was struck from behind by a vehicle that probably would have been clearly seen approaching if the cyclist was even occasionally monitoring traffic to his rear.

And as is obvious, recording video to the rear is useless for monitoring anything in real time.
All the studies I’ve seen over the years have shown other types of crashes to be more common than hit from behind.

Crashes at intersections and crossings are the leaders.
Counting crash type totals without evaluating the resulting severity of injuries of the various crash types is close to being useless (except for those who manipulate accident stats to promote a personal agenda) unless you consider crash types that are more to likely result in road rash and skinned knees as the equivalent to the type of crashes that are likely to result in death or catastrophic injuries to the bicyclist.
As I see it, the nearly only hazard from the rear is a (usually noisy) upcoming vehicle…a car, truck, motorcycle; maybe a cyclist; less likely something falling, e. g a tree branch. IMO forward hazards are more frequent and varied, and often unexpected or obscure, e.g potholes, especially those covered by leaves,
(c) The Boston Globe Nov 15, 2009

At 71 years old, retired Newton educator Robert Zeeb wasn't slowing down.
Zeeb was training to ride his bicycle across the country.…But on Monday, during a ride to Arlington, Robert Zeeb crashed his bicycle along Route 2. He died from his injuries the following day

A witness told police that it appeared as if Zeeb's bicycle struck a hole for an electrical box in the ground and that no other vehicles were involved in the accident.

Zeeb's family is upset the hole wasn't covered and is looking for answers….One witness told State Police the hole was filled with leaves and its cover was several feet away…

Noel Zeeb said his father was very careful on his bicycle and always wore a helmet. But Noel Zeeb said he doesn't think his father saw any danger ahead on his ride Monday.
trash, clueless pedestrians crossing in front, sticky tar seams,
...I was riding about 5 mph on the main street, and on that road surface were these strips of tar, the policeman called “tar seams,” apparently a cheap fix for cracks. In the 90 degree heat they became soft and sticky and grabbed my tire, and since I was going slowly, one pulled me down….

I was immediately assisted by some bystanders who claimed I was KO’ed for a bit, and the ambulance and police soon arrived.

The upshot was spending from about 4:00 to 8:30 PM in the Emergency Room, with abrasions on my arms, knees, and a couple ugly ones on my face; and a gash about 1 inch long requiring 18 stitches to close.
turning vehicles.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A perfect example is the video I think @jim_@from_Boston posted of a female university professor getting right-hooked by a semi. I, and many other experienced traffic riders, posted that they felt sick when they saw the cyclist in the right lane pulling up to and trying to pass the truck in the left lane.

Too many of us have seen trucks make wide turns, and too many of us have seen that trucks cannot see everything in their mirrors all the time, and that a bike can sneak into a blind spot…
parked cars (where applicable) etc. Hence,
…My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”
and
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or “Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface"

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [include];see the link: Total of nine (9).]

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Old 09-13-19, 04:10 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
OW...my EYES!!!
Old 09-15-19, 02:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Note the clever sophistry here. A loaded question is being used to suggest that a specific incident already in the past could not be prevented by a wide-sweeping measure.

We all know 100% of crashes can't be eliminated. What we can say is a population with higher average proficiency would be a lot less likely to causes these kinds of incidents. The alternative is stay the course and ticket the drivers who happen to get caught after the fact. However, it's also known that an ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure.
Sophistry, Smophistry.

For some reason the poor guy is riding on a highway and not looking back enough. Even at 55 mph there should be enough time to see them coming.

Even though the shoulder is not the best in the world, that is where the cyclist should be.

I'm really happy the cyclist is alive but this could have been avoided. There was a 15 second interval between the first two cars passing, sighting the driver that hit them and impact.

And why is the video 15 minutes long when 14 of it is just the same image of the ground, broken parts and a blinky? I think the point was well made after one minute, I shuffled through looking for something else and unless I stayed with it the entire time I'm not sure what I would have heard. Actually, I carefully went forward a few seconds at a time and the audio is no good after the impact, you can't hear much or understand anything.

So it's a minute of the crash and 14 minutes of a bloody patch of weeds, the saddle, broken parts and a flashing red tail light.

Was is a road bike or a bent? I have to look up the story because the You Tube video doesn't say. Okay, road bike.

But good grief, I hope he'll recover okay.

The news report was talking about bike lanes as well, but that's a highway and there are no bike lanes.

He was on a road bike as I understand from a picture they show of him riding in the report.

I've had to ride rural highway stretches (a truck bypass as well in fact) and I keep on the shoulder, even dismount now and then and walk it.

And we had a U-Haul driver with a car dolly pull out in front of a semi at that bypass a couple days ago and he was hit on his side directly and died...I didn't like that area in the first place...never mind the pot shop next to the travel plaza. It wasn't all that hot before the bypass and all that came in.

Now, since the other two drivers passed in the other lane I guess you would assume that the cyclist figured the third would as well.

Never assume.

Two grafts? Lord have mercy. Bad all around.

Last edited by Rollfast; 09-15-19 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 03:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If the closing speed is 50 mph, that gives you 0.68 seconds to get out of the way.

-mr. bill
The video shows the first signs of the car that hit him 15 seconds before impact. This was after two other cars took to the other lane to pass him. I myself would be looking back to see if more traffic was coming. Maybe you can't do that bent over like shown in the picture from the news report. I sit mainly upright because I ride cruisers. You would have to untuck and look but after two cars I would be inclined to do that.

I find that position very uncomfortable however, because I'm fat, and it limits my ability to look about.

I can't find any points that haven't already been brought up in 10 pages, so I'm out of this one. I'll look forward to progress reports on his health and court actions.

Last edited by Rollfast; 09-15-19 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 09:56 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
The news report was talking about bike lanes as well, but that's a highway and there are no bike lanes.

I wouldn't have been riding on that road either, but I'm sure this cyclist had his reasons, and I find it interesting that there haven't been more comments about the idea that maybe he should have had a good shoulder to ride on in the first place.

Here in NYC there's a section of the the Belt Parkway where they added a two-way bike lane separate from the car traffic, and it's an absolute joy to ride on, even on the parts where the cars are right beside you. Why can't we have more of these, all over the country? On many highways, especially the larger ones, the real estate is there. I know the answer to this, obviously, but it's just a shame how cars have gobbled up all the infrastructure in this country.

Last edited by Headpost; 09-15-19 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 10:06 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Sophistry, Smophistry.

For some reason the poor guy is riding on a highway and not looking back enough. Even at 55 mph there should be enough time to see them coming.
Watch the video again. You, and others, have failed to notice or acknowledge that the motorist was actually in a safe lane position up until about 1 second out of the crash. Even looking back every second or so, this one would have been difficult to avoid. And being on the shoulder may not have helped. The driver easily could have hit the cyclist there, as she may have only corrected her right drift after and because of the impact.
Old 09-15-19, 10:56 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Watch the video again. You, and others, have failed to notice or acknowledge that the motorist was actually in a safe lane position up until about 1 second out of the crash. Even looking back every second or so, this one would have been difficult to avoid. And being on the shoulder may not have helped. The driver easily could have hit the cyclist there, as she may have only corrected her right drift after and because of the impact.
Rumble strips wake most drivers up.
Old 09-16-19, 02:59 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Keep flogging the horse. It will revive at some point.
Old 09-17-19, 07:01 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
.... When news is reported this way it takes the responsibility off of the driver...

Here's an interesting take on it:
https://www.outsideonline.com/239295...tting-cyclists
Here's another article.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ough-1.5287735

But get a load of this quote

"The vehicle that struck the male pedestrian remained on the scene."

Nowhere in the article says anything about a driver.
Old 09-17-19, 07:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here's another article.

Good grief! That just happened less than an hour ago.

This is exactly the kind of news reporting I am talking about ...as if the vehicle is a sentient being.
Old 09-18-19, 03:50 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here's another article.

Wow, this is just plain stupid news reporting. It is like the car had no driver and did it all by itself.
Old 09-18-19, 06:29 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Well, on CBC radio, they did mention the driver. Charges have not been laid.

I don't expect there will charges because the victim was not in a car.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-18-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 09:26 AM
transitguy

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a loaded tour from Portland OR to Missoula MT, with over 150 miles of riding on freeways where the posted speed limit was well above 55 mpg. I had a safety triangle on my panniers, a bright yellow safety vest over my shirt and a mirror so I could at least try to assess whether each passing motor vehicle was approaching the shoulder. It was somewhat tedious at times watching for both road debris and traffic and I'm guessing that some would say I looked silly, but I had only one issue with motor traffic coming too close to me.

This is not to excuse the driver of the car shown in the crash video or to blame the cyclist involved, but rather to agree with what some other cyclists have said- it is possible to ride high speed highways in relative safety if one knows the shoulder conditions ahead of time, wears highly visible clothing and stays as far to the right as possible. Having good luck is probably an element as well, but that is something entirely unpredictable.

During my tour I encountered about 25 miles of across-the-shoulder rumble strips in eastern Oregon, but most of the time I rode over them at slow speed without too much annoyance. Granted, I was riding slowly anyway on a touring bike with wide tires, but in the interest of personal safety I would make the same choice under the same conditions regardless of the bike I was pedaling.
Old 09-18-19, 09:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by transitguy
I just finished a loaded tour from Portland OR to Missoula MT, with over 150 miles of riding on freeways where the posted speed limit was well above 55 mpg. I had a safety triangle on my panniers, a bright yellow safety vest over my shirt and a mirror so I could at least try to assess whether each passing motor vehicle was approaching the shoulder. It was somewhat tedious at times watching for both road debris and traffic and I'm guessing that some would say I looked silly, but I had only one issue with motor traffic coming too close to me.

This is not to excuse the driver of the car shown in the crash video or to blame the cyclist involved, but rather to agree with what some other cyclists have said- it is possible to ride high speed highways in relative safety if one knows the shoulder conditions ahead of time, wears highly visible clothing and stays as far to the right as possible. Having good luck is probably an element as well, but that is something entirely unpredictable.

During my tour I encountered about 25 miles of across-the-shoulder rumble strips in eastern Oregon, but most of the time I rode over them at slow speed without too much annoyance. Granted, I was riding slowly anyway on a touring bike with wide tires, but in the interest of personal safety I would make the same choice under the same conditions regardless of the bike I was pedaling.
Thanks for sharing what worked for you. I'm going to guess you didn't have the opportunity to use a lesser traveled and more narrow road because of the dearth of roads out west that aren't essentially spurs.
Old 09-18-19, 05:40 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by transitguy
across-the-shoulder rumble strips
What's that mean? Is that as bad as it sounds, i.e., the rumble strip is as wide as the entire shoulder? Instead of the usual 1 foot wide or whatever strip?

Or maybe you just mean a rumble strip that runs for 25 miles. If so, sorry for my temporary reading disability.

Last edited by rseeker; 09-18-19 at 05:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.