Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New saddle is a winner

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New saddle is a winner

Old 03-25-19, 11:34 PM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
New saddle is a winner

Last week, I rode 80km with the original saddle on the Giant Fastroad Comax 1, I've been riding on it for a year, and on longer rides, my balls would start to go numb, and my bum would slowly get more uncomfortable, up until the point where the only option was standing and pedaling for a while to give my bum a rest. I don't like to ride with padded bike shorts, because from my experience, they haven't helped at all, and in fact, my bum would get more uncomfortable with them on.

So after the 80km ride, I decided enough was enough, and went to my LBS, there they had the Selle SMP saddles, I have the Hybrid SMP saddle on my Trek, which has done it's job, but they had the TRK medium which was a little bit spongier than the SMP hybrid, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Did an 80km ride on the weekend, with the new saddle , and could not believe what a difference it made, no real bum soreness, it was amazing. Came home feeling generally comfortable all over. I'm not sure why I put up with the stock saddle for so long, I think I was hoping I would get used to it.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/trk-medium-gel.html

For my style of riding, which is moving along at around 18 - 20km/h ( 11 -13mph ) this saddle seems to have hit the right spot.
Old 03-26-19, 08:37 AM
n0thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Selle. I rocked the same SMP saddle for years and absolutely loved it. A night and day transformation in comfort.
Old 03-26-19, 01:47 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My second favorite saddle is my Selle SMP TRK. It is actually more comfortable on short rides than my favorite but on longer rides (longer than 10 miles) my Selle Anatomica H serie beats it out by a smidge. Considering the R for my Trek FX3 which currently has the SMP TRK on it. My Specialized Roll has the Selle Anatomica on it right now. Just got home from an 11 mile ride on it. Wonder if the gel model like yours would make much difference.
Old 03-26-19, 02:45 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Oh what a relief it is.
Old 03-26-19, 03:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by SlinkyWizard
Last week, I rode 80km with the original saddle on the Giant Fastroad Comax 1, I've been riding on it for a year, and on longer rides, my balls would start to go numb, and my bum would slowly get more uncomfortable, up until the point where the only option was standing and pedaling for a while to give my bum a rest. I don't like to ride with padded bike shorts, because from my experience, they haven't helped at all, and in fact, my bum would get more uncomfortable with them on.
You're a stronger man than I, Gunga Din. I only managed three rides on the crappy horrifyingly awful stock saddle that came with my Liv Rove; it wasn't discomfort, it was "something's wrong, stop it!" pain. Yanked that sucker off my bike, measured my sit bones, and now have a nice, comfy Specialized something-or-other with firm padding and a big dent for the lady bits.
Old 04-01-19, 01:05 PM
Sceadu498

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Trek 6000, Built up a Carbon Raod Bike with a Wiel Frameset, Diamondback Insight

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I love the Selle SMP saddles. I run the Lite 209 on my road bike and the Extra on my Hybrid and the Mtn bike. Seems like they must be coming more popular as I have noticed the two bike shops near me now carry them. Glad it worked out for you. Many happy miles to come for you.
Old 04-02-19, 04:21 AM
SlinkyWizard

Selle SMP Trk Medium, simply amazing, paired with the Gavia Race 1 tubeless tires, the bike feels smooth and subtly bouncy
Old 04-03-19, 07:50 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
I don't like to ride with padded bike shorts, because from my experience, they haven't helped at all, and in fact, my bum would get more uncomfortable with them on.
Bad idea.

The padding works with your seat to help reduce road shock from bumps and prevents chafing.

https://www.icebike.org/padded-bike-shorts/
Old 04-03-19, 08:37 AM
SlinkyWizard

The bike paths look like this and go for 100's of kilometers
Originally Posted by prj71
Bad idea.

The padding works with your seat to help reduce road shock from bumps and prevents chafing.

https://www.icebike.org/padded-bike-shorts/
Thanks for the article, from my experience, given the riding conditions and my riding style and this was before I got the Selle saddle, rides over 50km wearing padded bike shorts compared to not wearing them, the discomfort level was actually worse when wearing them.

Since I got the Selle saddle, I've done a few 60km + rides , maybe 4 in the last week to test the saddle out, and I've had no discomfort at all. I've had a rest here and there, so no straight out 60km + rides. I could always wear the bike shorts and try a long ride, but at the moment, if there's no discomfort, is there any point?

The bike paths here are very smooth, flat and even, so there aren't many bumps, and 99% of my riding is done here. For me, this new saddle suits me perfectly.
Old 04-03-19, 09:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
rides over 50km wearing padded bike shorts compared to not wearing them, the discomfort level was actually worse when wearing them.
Might be a function of the brand or maybe you were buying cheap ones?
Old 04-03-19, 10:48 PM
SlinkyWizard

Originally Posted by prj71
Might be a function of the brand or maybe you were buying cheap ones?

The bike shorts I have are NSR Riding, I have no idea about quality or price compared to other brands, as these are only ones I have , but the guy at the Specialized store said they were quite good.