Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bought 4 bikes & 1 boat: spouce comming home...trouble

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 01:25 AM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was suposed to do some projects like build a wall unit during the 2 weeks my spouce and daughter were on a trip. Instead I bought 4 bikes to compliment the 5 I already have and I also bought a boat. What should I say. They get back Sunday. Suggestions?
Old 03-24-06, 01:29 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a hiding spot?
Old 03-24-06, 01:37 AM
was_bmxer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What 4 bikes did you get? You could always strip them down and then pretend you are building up all your old bits**********

Don't know about the boat, that's hard to hide.
Old 03-24-06, 01:37 AM
vilelamb
I'll get there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hiromian
I was suposed to do some projects like build a wall unit during the 2 weeks my spouce and daughter were on a trip. Instead I bought 4 bikes to compliment the 5 I already have and I also bought a boat. What should I say. They get back Sunday. Suggestions?
n/a

Last edited by vilelamb; 09-02-22 at 02:19 PM. Reason: silly post
Old 03-24-06, 01:49 AM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
troll, too obvious - be more subtle next time.
Old 03-24-06, 01:52 AM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilelamb
OMG. How did you buy so much stuff? Were they expensive bikes/boat? If I was your spouse, I would never leave you at home again. And I'm the kind of person who would sell organs if they were easily accessible for bike crap
Gota say I enjoyed being home alone. 4 bikes new but old...30 year old still in box: $280. Used aluminum boat: $200. Smile on my face...priceless.
Old 03-24-06, 01:55 AM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
troll, too obvious - be more subtle next time.
Don't think saying that will get me out of trouble.
Old 03-24-06, 01:57 AM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by was_bmxer
What 4 bikes did you get? You could always strip them down and then pretend you are building up all your old bits**********

Don't know about the boat, that's hard to hide.
I have been working on the hiding spot for the bikes...atic in the garage. Boat , yea not easily hid.
Old 03-24-06, 02:45 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
My mother is a school nurse in a rather afluent area, and a mother came in and confided with her about her "impulse buy" while the husband was overseas on business for a month (she tends to go shopping when she's lonely). She purchased... on his American Express card... a Ferarri Mondial or something like that. When he got home, they had a fight like she had spent too much on a dress and then it was over. I wonder what kind of business this guy has where $300,000 is a small problem.

Anyway, not that that will help you unless your spouse wears the pants and will shrug it off that easily (or you could at least say someone has done worse) but I like the idea of stripping them down and making it look like you're working on the old ones. Can you hide anything (or everything) at work for a while, then slowly introduce them back home one at a time? My father never noticed when mom hid her new clothes and just wore a new outfit every now and then. By the time he asked when she bought whatever he noticed for the first time, she could honestly say "oh I've had it for a while".

edit: I made a shameful oversight and just assumed you were a guy with the wife coming home. You could be the wife of a husband, or a *****exual, or whatever. My feminist fiancee would be ashamed. Post edited to incorporate inclusive language.
Old 03-24-06, 03:58 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If he's got a credit line large enough to be able to put $300 grand on an AMEX (probably a black card, of which there are very few), then money's not an issue.
Old 03-24-06, 04:58 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Why not be straight-up honest? I would plonk the boat smack in the middle of the driveway and the bikes in the living room, when s/he got home I would be totally nonchalant like "hi honey, how was your trip?" and if/when the boat/bikes were mentioned I'd say "I bought them while you were gone, wanna go fishing next weekend?" with a big smile on my face.... heck, if it makes you happy then why not share your enthusiasm with your partner?
Old 03-24-06, 07:12 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd get one of these:

Old 03-24-06, 07:54 AM
CheeseLouise
Ain't Easy Being Cheesy

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From a Woman's point of view - I would want to know, "Where is my new bike!" But I love cycling so....maybe a diamond ring, yeah that works too

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
www.bikenaked.net
Old 03-24-06, 08:08 AM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
My mother is a school nurse in a rather afluent area, and a mother came in and confided with her about her "impulse buy" while the husband was overseas on business for a month (she tends to go shopping when she's lonely). She purchased... on his American Express card... a Ferarri Mondial or something like that. When he got home, they had a fight like she had spent too much on a dress and then it was over. I wonder what kind of business this guy has where $300,000 is a small problem.

Anyway, not that that will help you unless your spouse wears the pants and will shrug it off that easily (or you could at least say someone has done worse) but I like the idea of stripping them down and making it look like you're working on the old ones. Can you hide anything (or everything) at work for a while, then slowly introduce them back home one at a time? My father never noticed when mom hid her new clothes and just wore a new outfit every now and then. By the time he asked when she bought whatever he noticed for the first time, she could honestly say "oh I've had it for a while".

edit: I made a shameful oversight and just assumed you were a guy with the wife coming home. You could be the wife of a husband, or a *****exual, or whatever. My feminist fiancee would be ashamed. Post edited to incorporate inclusive language.
A Ferrari Modial never cost anywhere even close to $300k. The Modial was one of the most mass produced Ferraris ever. They retailed for around $100k in 1992 and you could buy a used one today for around $30-40k easily.

Last edited by SDRider; 03-24-06 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 08:15 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You can kiss your arse good-bye. It's been a pleasure knowing you hiromian. Good luck with the rest of your short-arsed life. On a positive note, at least you didn't waste your few remaining precious hours building that wall. Better get one final ride in and a have quick zoom around the lake in the boat.
Old 03-24-06, 08:43 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I'm just holding them for a friend."
Old 03-24-06, 10:29 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put a bow on the boat and name it after her. For the bike ?
Old 03-24-06, 10:35 AM
venga venga

Bikes: 04 Litespeed Classic; 02 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Quickly buy something for the wife.
or
2. Hello, Ebay! Sell, baby, sell!
Old 03-24-06, 11:23 AM
FLBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with the "holding for a friend or co-worker" tactic. "You know poor (insert name of someone she doesn't know here) got kicked out of his place and asked me to keep this stuff for him." Then, later, you ease into it by saying you finally bought the stuff from him to help him out!
Old 03-24-06, 11:30 AM
Sinfield
Eat. Lift. Ride. Drink.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sell them and buy a ****ing dictionary...
Old 03-24-06, 11:52 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Just meet her at the door and tell her how glad you are she got home before the world gasoline supply ran out and the flooding begins. Then tell her how you are not that worried though because you stocked up on bikes and got a boat.
Old 03-24-06, 12:06 PM
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What time is your wife coming home on Sunday? I would like to have a bag of popcorn ready at that time to see the outcome. Somebody's gonna be in trouble. Be sure to keep us up to date. And should we assume the worst if we don't see a response by, say, Monday afternoon?
Old 03-24-06, 12:29 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
If this is real, then admit the obvious - that you're a complete idiot, who obviously has some emotional or psychological problems, and was most likely in the midst of a manic episode, hence the compulsive buying of unnecessary things, in a futile attempt to feel good about yourself.

How's that work for you?

Old 03-24-06, 12:49 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You only spent $480. That's less than I've spent on my latest wheelset. But the difference is that you got 4 bikes and a boat. I got . . . two wheels.

Print out my response and show it to your wife. That might keep you out of trouble.
Old 03-24-06, 02:03 PM
schiavonec

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, finish the shelves. You committed to doing it so suck it up. Secondly, her vacation was likely much more than 480.00 so lay it down like that. I'll bet she spends more $$ at the spa, salon, (insert other whatever here) than that in the course of a couple months.

I don't know you, but I'll guess that like most dads, you are normal and contribute everything to the family's well being/needs/desires and take little for yourself. You are probably still wearing the same clothes from some time ago. That porsche you've dreamt about will remain a dream, etc. You probably only spend $$ on things you need, or things needed for the house.

Many of the items purchased by your wife or daughter are likely luxuries. You don't have a 400.00 backpack so why should they have a 400.00 purse. Many of the items purchased under your roof have nothing to do with you, or your interests and are against your better judgement or things you could care less about. Occassionally, a purchase will be something you are adamantly against too. So the rest of the family needs to realize that you need some simple pleasures too. I'm not advocating throwing down 15k for 5 rides in lieu of Jr's college fund, but you get my drift.

Hope you have a boatload of storage space (pun intented). Why not just have a reasonable quiver of good quality rides?

Last edited by schiavonec; 03-24-06 at 02:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.