Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hit a pot hole --- HELP

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hit a pot hole --- HELP

Old 07-26-08, 12:17 PM
oz213

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit a pot hole --- HELP

So, I have had my bike for a month now and don't know if I'll ever be riding my mountain bike again. But I must say I love my SPD's and BG Comp MTB Shoe shoes. Today while on a blood pumping descent, I hit a pot hole. Managed to get my front tire in the air but the back didn't make it. Nice big flat. Then I realized that I didn't have any spare tubes with me...left them in the garage. And since no one answered the phone at home...I walked the last 2 miles home. Yeah for mountain shoes.

Anyway can anyone tell me how to tell if there was any damage to my rims? Hopefully not, but it would give me a reason to upgrade.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-26-08, 12:23 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First check if it's true--you can just use your brake shoes as guides. If it's true and you don't see any cracks or dents, it'll probably be fine.

Were you sitting on the saddle when the rear tire hit the pot hole? Risk of pinch flats can be minimized with proper tire pressure--though that doesn't immune you from huge impacts.
Old 07-26-08, 12:23 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
well, if the rim is cracked or completely tacoed then you should replace it.
otherwise just check if it's true and round within 2mm and not severely dented.
Old 07-26-08, 12:30 PM
oz213

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah i was sitting in the saddle and kinda in a zone. It was pretty bid and deep so I went to hop over it, then big thud from the back.
Old 07-26-08, 12:58 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oz213
Yeah i was sitting in the saddle and kinda in a zone. It was pretty bid and deep so I went to hop over it, then big thud from the back.
Next time, hop with your butt off the saddle--until your rear tire passes.
Old 07-26-08, 01:55 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oz213
So, I have had my bike for a month now and don't know if I'll ever be riding my mountain bike again. But I must say I love my SPD's and BG Comp MTB Shoe shoes. Today while on a blood pumping descent, I hit a pot hole. Managed to get my front tire in the air but the back didn't make it. Nice big flat. Then I realized that I didn't have any spare tubes with me...left them in the garage. And since no one answered the phone at home...I walked the last 2 miles home. Yeah for mountain shoes.

Anyway can anyone tell me how to tell if there was any damage to my rims? Hopefully not, but it would give me a reason to upgrade.

Thanks for any help.
Spin the wheel on the bike. See if everything is straight. Look at the rim as it passes by the brake shoes. Look for dips in the rim as well as side to side movement. Side to side is fixable using spoke tension. Big dips in the rim indicate your rim is bent and might need to be replaced.

If it's just a truing job, take it to the shop and either 1) fork over $20 for them to retrue it or 2) buy a $10 spoke wrench and learn to do it yourself.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 07-26-08, 02:20 PM
oz213

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. So I looked at the rim as it passed the brake shoes and it did move side to side so I took it to my LBS for them to check it out. The fixed the side to side but did tell me that it a nice dent. So looks like it's time to replace.

Can I ride it until the new ones come? Any recommendations for a 190lber? I was thinking the EA50's.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-26-08, 02:25 PM
Szczuldo
What is this demonry?!

Bikes: KHS Aero Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rims are completely beat up, dents in aluminium rims really won't compromise it's durability, just it's efficiency and that is very slightly. What you can do is remove a couple of spokes around the area of the dent, and then take a rubber mallet. Place the rim on a contraption which will support the wheel on either side of the dent but nothing under the dent. Give it a couple good wacks. If anything it will make the dent less noticible and easier to ride.
Old 07-26-08, 02:48 PM
sweetrevenge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Szczuldo
My rims are completely beat up, dents in aluminium rims really won't compromise it's durability, just it's efficiency and that is very slightly. What you can do is remove a couple of spokes around the area of the dent, and then take a rubber mallet. Place the rim on a contraption which will support the wheel on either side of the dent but nothing under the dent. Give it a couple good wacks. If anything it will make the dent less noticible and easier to ride.
Problem with this is that it could really screw up your rims if your not careful. Better to have a rim that has a dent in it but still works than have one that is screwed up because you didn't hit it right with the mallet. If you have another set of rims go for it but it might be best to wait until you get new rims so at least you can keep riding.
Old 07-26-08, 02:59 PM
heckler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an aluminum rim with a dent that rides fine...to cause problems it would need to be large enough of a dent to mess with the bead seating properly, or a crack with sharp edges.