Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Quality + Value Bottle Cages for Down Tube + Water Bottles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 02:10 PM
mountainwalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend any good quality and value Bottle Cages and Water Bottles? Not looking for anything fancy like carbon or fancy designs, just good quality and value Bottle Cages that fit on the Down Tube inside the frame and do the job, plus Bottles made of durable and safe plastic or metal.

Asking because it's been a long while since I bought them, and I remember some cages having very poor hold.
Old 07-05-14, 03:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The last water bottle cages that I bought were Blackburn chicane cages. I like them because they're stainless steel so they don't mark my water bottles. I've never had an issue with them holding my water bottles adequately.

The last water bottles I've bought were Camelback podium bottles. I like them because they don't leak. When I travel I fill one with distilled water for my CPAP machine and don't worry about getting my luggage wet. They're also easy care. I wash them in the top shelf of my dish washer.
Old 07-05-14, 04:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Price Point has a nice stainless cage for under $10. I like the REI bottles. They are clear so you can see how much water is left and they have an indention that makes holding easier.
Old 07-05-14, 04:56 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The last water bottle cages that I bought were Blackburn chicane cages. I like them because they're stainless steel so they don't mark my water bottles. I've never had an issue with them holding my water bottles adequately.

The last water bottles I've bought were Camelback podium bottles. I like them because they don't leak. When I travel I fill one with distilled water for my CPAP machine and don't worry about getting my luggage wet. They're also easy care. I wash them in the top shelf of my dish washer.
I agree. The Chicane stainless steel cages are really nice. Stainless is better because it doesn't mark your bottles up and, guess what, you can bend them if need be. The podium bottles are nice. I like buying water bottles from my local LBS though because it is such good store I want to advertise it.
Old 07-05-14, 05:28 PM
mountainwalker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Thanks Retro Grouch, the Chicane looks very nice - and good to see a stainless steel version can be as light or lighter than an aluminum cage. As for the Camelback Podium, I've heard of some issues with difficulty cleaning the spout and mold in the spout, though this could have been in older versions.
Old 07-06-14, 06:42 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainwalker
As for the Camelback Podium, I've heard of some issues with difficulty cleaning the spout and mold in the spout, though this could have been in older versions.
We've been using them for years without having that issue but we never put anything but water into our water bottles.
Old 07-07-14, 08:21 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Arundel Sport cages or Elite Race cages. Elite Race cages can be had for around $15 ea and you see them on a lot of pro bikes. Arundel Sport cages are around the same price but work a bit better in terms of of retention and ease of in/out, IMO. Both are quite lightweight.
Old 07-07-14, 08:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A pairing of the Specialized Nylon FG-Composite cages and their plastic bottles worked well ..

Sigg also makes Nice Metal Aluminum , epoxy tasteless lined bottles & nylon cages for them ..

Profiles original cages spread out to take most any bottle .. I use that one and a MSR 22oz fuel bottle-tank,
Then secured it further , under the down tube with a Toe Strap..

QBP has nylon cages for the KleenKanteen Stainless Bottles , But I have not tries them

Sigg has the cap designed to let air in so the water can flow out .
Zefal also makes aluminum bottles with a cap designed with airflow to let the water out.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-07-14 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 09:20 AM
Anthony.L
New to Cycling

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Comp Carbon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A pairing of the Specialized Nylon FG-Composite cages and their plastic bottles worked well ..
This is my vote. I have the Specialized Zee Cage II in composite paired with a 26oz clear Specialized Purist Watergate clear bottle. No leaks, stopper on the top works well, and zero taste or odor from the bottle. The cage is very light weight and grips the bottom perfectly. The bottle/cage combo ran me $33 at a local bike shop.
Old 07-12-14, 10:15 AM
cicli_masi
TEAM GARMIN-SHARP

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainwalker
Can anyone recommend any good quality and value Bottle Cages and Water Bottles?
I just recently acquired cages and bottles from ProNet Cycling. Well priced, Elite quality. ProNet is the U.S. distributor for Elite. If you get two of each, cage and bottle, chances are you'll spend just over $50, which gets you free shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140705_130623.jpg (97.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-17-14, 11:11 AM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the one below, have had it about 2 months and it works great.. you will not find many cheaper either.

Nashbar Sidewinder Bottle Cage - Cages