Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Grip Shifters - never again

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Grip Shifters - never again

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
I wonder how well those worked?
I had one. It was lousy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-13-20, 03:42 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
Who actually invented the thumb or finger bar shifter? Was it Sturmey Archer? I can imagine the evolution of the S/A to a mountain bike thumbie, but somone on the forum must know.
Back when I started working in the LBS during the early 1970s bicycle boom, both Shimano and SunTour already had friction shifting thumb shifters. They were typically used on derailleur equipped city bicycles with upright handlebars. Shimano's was integrated into the clamp of the brake levers, so I'd give the edge to SunTour, who had a stand alone Power Shifter version. It wouldn't surprise me if there were earlier precedents.

Twist shifters for derailleurs go back even further. Shimano had a twin cable twist shifter for the Lark-W that goes back to the mid-1960s. Like Sturmey-Archer, they also had a twist shifter for their three speed IGH, along with handlebar shifter that more closely resembled a thumb shifter than Sturmey-Archer's trigger shifter.
Old 02-13-20, 03:47 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I had one. It was lousy.
Oh, I guess I'll cross that one off the list.
Old 06-12-23, 12:02 PM
laughatdanger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe someone here with grip shifter experience can help me.

I have a set of SACHS "Power Grip Wavey" 3x8 shifters, when I opened them, the left (3spd) shifter had a greased up metal coil type mechanism inside.. and the right (8spd) shifter does not

Is this normal? They look identical inside. I'm attaching some pics. Thanks in advance

Likes For laughatdanger:
Old 06-12-23, 01:43 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
SRAM's Grip-Shift became popular not because it was the best but because it was inexpensive. Bicycle manufacturers started using Grip-Shift because they were about half the price of Rapidfire Plus. That gave them an edge which they could parlay into a lower MSRP and/or a larger profit margin. An additional benefit was that they were lighter. Had the cables not been factory installed by SRAM, I'm convinced that the they never would have gained a foothold with the OEMs, as they would never have put up with cable installation issues.
Talk to wrenches nowadays about internal hydraulic lines. They hate them but have no choice.
Old 06-12-23, 02:07 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Is replacing the shifters out of the question? I've personally never met a set of grip shifters that were any good, and I think most people would agree. If I bought a bike with them I'd immediately just throw them away. Shimano trigger shifters are the way to go. Reliable, bullet-proof, and affordable. 3x8 were still available last time I looked.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-12-23, 05:33 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
The IGH Nexus 3-speed and 7-speed twist-grips are OK, and the Sturmey 3-speed twister isn't that bad either. Probably because there is a lot less resistance to move an IGH clutch spring than there to overcome a derailer and the side-to-side stiffness of the chain.

The el-cheapos and some of the older twisters though...trash pile fodder.

-Kurt
My Nexus 8 Revoshift is still working OK after many years, the cable is easy to replace too. Made a wood grip for it:

Old 06-12-23, 05:49 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
My Nexus 8 Revoshift is still working OK after many years, the cable is easy to replace too. Made a wood grip for it:
Those are pretty beefy; more so than even some of the more modern SRAM examples here (which I've had mixed luck with).

I've been running a Microshift 8-speed trigger for my own Nexus 8. Seems to work nicely, but I can't tell whether it's the hub or the manner by which the shifter takes up cable that tends to result in the roller clutches slipping every now and then. Did a quick jaunt to the local Uni today and had more issues than usual with it, once it was in gear. And that's with a hub lubricated extensively in 00 grease.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-12-23, 06:19 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
The SRAM MRX twist grip shifters on my 2018 Giant Sedona, like 93% of the 470 Google reviews suggest work just fine. WAY better then I anticipated. I really like that I can shift 2 or 3 gears instantly.

I was looking for the trigger shifters but as it turned out, the bike I wanted came with these twist grip units. I was concerned about reliability, but after some research I discovered that the SRAM MRX twist grip shifters are at least as reliable as most trigger shifters, and more reliable then some. And since their so cheap, I'll just buy a new one should it malfunction in 5 - 10 years .

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-12-23 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 06-12-23, 07:52 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 2,628 Times in 1,239 Posts
REI had them on sale for $18. Included were shifters, cables, spacers and grips.
Still cheap.
https://www.rei.com/product/737410/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-12-23, 08:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 12832 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 4,114 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
REI had them on sale for $18. Included were shifters, cables, spacers and grips.
Still cheap.
https://www.rei.com/product/737410/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Unfortunately those are some of the worst gripshifts. The MRX with the white piece work better, IMO. But can be a little stiff sometimes.

SRT-400 seven speed shfiters are a step up from those.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-12-23, 09:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by laughatdanger
Maybe someone here with grip shifter experience can help me.

I have a set of SACHS "Power Grip Wavey" 3x8 shifters, when I opened them, the left (3spd) shifter had a greased up metal coil type mechanism inside.. and the right (8spd) shifter does not

Is this normal? They look identical inside. I'm attaching some pics. Thanks in advance

I have a pair on a Cannondale I have slated for the foster kids bikes program. I've never opened up a wavey, if it looks easy I'll take a peek inside tomorrow.
Old 06-12-23, 09:43 PM
laughatdanger

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
thanks, keep me posted

they opens easily.. it just snaps off/on, no tools
Old 06-12-23, 09:56 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Is replacing the shifters out of the question? I've personally never met a set of grip shifters that were any good, and I think most people would agree. If I bought a bike with them I'd immediately just throw them away. Shimano trigger shifters are the way to go. Reliable, bullet-proof, and affordable. 3x8 were still available last time I looked.
not a grip shift fan - and would replace them if they were installed on my fav / most ridden bikes - but we have bikes with grip shift shifters and they work well

SRT400, 500, and 600
Old 06-12-23, 11:46 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
The Sachs front twist shifter has a helper spring that gets pre-loaded during assembly, makes the bigger twisting efforts easier while upshifting the front derailer.

The SRAM MRX shifters have always worked ok for me. Replacing them every few years together with the included grips and cables is very economical and refreshes the bike.

They will even index most bikes that have pre-index Suntour 5- and 6-speed setups, using the original Suntour ARX or whatever rear derailer, but this always works better with 14-28t freewheels than with larger freewheels because of the chain gap being more constant.
Old 06-13-23, 05:27 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 653 Posts
I tried once grip shift on an american eagle mtb years ago but it was a nightmare. I always prefered shimano for the versatility, better precision and ease of use of their rapid fire shifters , same with their thumbies indexed shifters.
Old 06-13-23, 05:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,988 Times in 1,695 Posts
Back when I was still commuting, I found trigger shifters almost impossible to use under frigid winter conditions because the action became stiff to the point that my thumbs could barely move the levers. Then I bought a used hybrid with Grip Shift. Problem solved. Almost effortless to shift, and, unlike the trigger shifters, I could easily use them with my favorite mittens (leather shells, wool liners).

I replaced the trigger shifters with Grip Shift on the original bike, too. I especially like the Retrofriction-like ratcheted-but-not-indexed front shifter. If they ever wear out, I'll definitely replace them with another set.
Old 06-13-23, 06:14 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 131 Posts
I have used the SRAM grip-shifters on a number of bike-share bikes. Don’t know how they hold up, but they were an economical replacement.

I see REI has the MicroShift brand in 3x6, 3x7 and 3x8 for only $12. I may stock up.
Old 06-13-23, 07:21 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 1,422 Posts
I've got a set on my Trek 750 and I'm afraid to change anything on that bike because it is so smooth and just works.

Got no issues with gripshifts, I've had more probs w/ triggers. The micro adjust for the FD is nice. Maybe if there was more R&D and $$ put towards the tech we'd ever get Di2 gripshifters.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-17-23, 08:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by laughatdanger
thanks, keep me posted

they opens easily.. it just snaps off/on, no tools
Sorry for the delay, finally got a chance to tinker with bikes today. My 8-sp Sachs has nothing in there either

Old 06-17-23, 09:09 PM
laughatdanger

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Sorry for the delay, finally got a chance to tinker with bikes today. My 8-sp Sachs has nothing in there either
Interesting. Thanks for response.
Old 06-27-23, 12:44 PM
Vermilion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 31 Posts
I have been using GripShift MRX on all my bikes for more than 20 years, and only one shifter has failed. Note that replacement shifters are available individually, often for $10 or less. The factory grips have never turned gummy. I've never had a problem with accidental shifts using the SRAM short grips. Cable changes aren't my most fun activity, but are not difficult. You'll have a leg up with a SRAM cable or possibly some other brands because they apply a coating to the end of the cable, which eases its way through the shifter.

I commuted by bike year round in the Midwest for 24 years. Earlier on, one bike had RapidFire, but in cold temps, it wouldn't shift to the large chainring. I replaced those shifters with MRX, problem solved. Operating the trigger is awkward to barely possible when wearing mittens. I never had a problem with either shift quality or durability when using GripShift, even at subzero temps.

By a certain age, many of us experience thumb discomfort, and for us, GripShift is a better choice than lever-and-trigger. Front shifting effort is largely a function of the derailleur, assuming the cable and housing are in good shape. On an old hybrid I recently bought, the front lever required so much effort that I was reaching over with my right hand. I replaced the ancient derailleur, and with MRX, shifts require only a light effort same as on my other bikes.

I prefer the earlier MRX design, where the gear numbers are on the twist section and an index mark is on the fixed part of the shifter body. Functionally they are the same, and I've run the newer (current) style on several bikes for years with zero problems.

I run Microshift lever-and-trigger shifters on my recumbent, only because that contraption requires a road front derailleur and twist shifters that support the road pull ratios aren't currently available, as far as I know. It's less awkward than on an upright bike because the shifters are at roughly shoulder height and I can push straight forward on the lever. But I'd run GripShift on it if I could.

Last edited by Vermilion; 06-27-23 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For Vermilion:
Old 01-07-24, 02:40 AM
Rob L

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I’ve never had too many issues with GripShift through the XRays but for any vintage build, I still prefer setting up with 8-speeds using XT 7sp thumbshifters. The ghost click for the 8 speed is great!
Old 01-07-24, 08:16 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I regularly replace broken or stiff grip shifters on the bikes I work on with Sunrace friction thumb shifters. I have them on my every day Trek Antelope and think they are hands down the best inexpensive solution for upright bars. They are cheap, work great, and you never have to take your hands off the grips or your eyes off the road to shift. Pair them with good derailleurs and a hyperglide freewheel or free hub and they are as easy and accurate to shift as index. While the provided cables and covers work o/k I always replace them with higher quality slick cable and covers with liners. My only peeve with the Sunrace thumbies is the red label which gets bent over time and looks cheap. Pretty much ANY old thumb shifter is better than a twist shift. My all time favorite is the Suntour thumbie with it's all metal construction. The old Shimano metal thumbie found on first gen Stump Jumpers is also a clasic though next to the suntour unit it looks clunky.
Old 01-07-24, 08:50 AM
John D
Not so New

Bikes: I haven't counted lately

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 32 Posts
For those of you who advocate grip shift but have worn grips on the shifter @lesterOf Puppets I recommend a few wraps of "self fusing silicone tape" to renew the surface, never gets sticky.
Likes For John D:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.