Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 10:33 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I just bought a Toughroad SLR 1. Now tubes for on the road and the problem of converting to Schrader valve came up again. Did anyone drill a larger hole in the rim? I noticed the rim is relatively narrow and it looks like the 50 mm tires are almost as thick as it is possible for those rims.
my concern with a Schrader valve would be the structural properties of the rim.

i guess I'm almost answering the question on why road bikes etc. often have PResta valves. But wonder if someone uses Schrader on the Toughroad or if you have an opinion of possible problems.

Edit: I found the tubes are relatively rare. I found these for $12 (Schraderversion only $10). Not that I expect lot of tube use. From what I saw CRC and other stores don't even carry that large 700c tubes.

Edit again: anyone used these "self-sealing" tubes?
I'm with Colonel on this. Keep using presta valves. There's a lot of discussion about the benefits of each type of valve, buy in my opinion it doesn't matter that much. I just switched to Prestas myself from having always used Schrader before simply because my dad bought the wrong type tubes for me (here in Brazil 700x35-43 tubes are rare and expensive, so I asked him to bring me some from Canada... 5$ each.)

As for the availability, look for 29er tubes rather than 700c. There should be plenty in your size.
Old 04-14-17, 05:50 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I picked up my bike and rode 1.5 miles. Really great and liberating compared to my old 26" heavy MTB. I really like the 2x Drivetrain. Basically all flat riding on large chainring and all off-road or uphill on small one. i also could fit all my frame bags (for spare tube, pump, food, water etc.)

The rims are so narrow that the ring of the presta valve barely covers the flat part of the rim. So I guess I don't risk enlarging that hole. I also got a Presta-Schrader adapter. First my learning curve in that I could not do anything until
told me I have to loosen that cap. Rookie mistake I guess. But I still struggled with measuring pressure with my Schrader gage and filling air with my compressor. Zap, all the air was out. For attaching my compressor I have to twist the adapter all the way in and unless I hold the inflator in the right angle All air goes out. My inflator works very well on all my Schrader valves on bike and car. I have soemthing like this. In the beginning my bike basically went up and down in between deflating and inflating. For measuring pressure with my gage I have to turn the adapter a bit out or I lose all air again. So that is really not a great system unless I'm doing something majorly wrong. I tried it out with my hand pump that has a Presta valve and that worked. Maybe there are better adapters. Mine looks like this and it was free (with the bike).

Another accessories I need are fenders.
My MTB has one to snap to the seat post. But it looks obnoxious since it erects up, which covers my taillight (seat post mounted) as well. Giant has a few on their website and also this for the Toughroad. not sure if I like the look, but would have to try it out. My seatpost is not round (it is carbon fiber on the SLR1) and I'm not sure if tightening something to it is good, but don't have an indication it would be a problem. What fenders do you guys use?
Do you have front fenders at all? My MTB had a hole in the headset bottom and I had a front fender that clipped into this hole (which also protected the headset from dirt). but the Toughroad has no hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SLR1.jpg (94.3 KB, 344 views)
Old 04-14-17, 09:11 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Edit again: anyone used these "self-sealing" tubes?
Yes, I used them once. They are incredibly heavy, seriously they weigh more than the tire...
They also didn't really work, they never fully sealed while riding. It just turned a puncture into a slow leak, rather than a flat on the road. And sprayed green goo everywhere, making it nearly impossible to clean and patch.

Don't waste your money. If you really do have flat problems, converting to tubeless is much more effective.
Old 04-17-17, 07:22 PM
lestat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Toughroad SLR 2. I chose it for its default gearing as I both use it for commuting to work and also mountain biking.

I put my full mudguards on during the weekdays with Schwalbe Marathon tyres, then remove them and swap tyres with the Maxxis for MTB. Back again by Sunday night. It's easy enough.

I got holes at the back of the fork. Check yours. It was not obvious to me at first. There's also a hole at the back where the rear rack would go that can also be shared by the rear mudguard.

I'm trying to post photos to show it but unable to. Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Old 04-17-17, 09:00 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by lestat
I got holes at the back of the fork. Check yours. It was not obvious to me at first. There's also a hole at the back where the rear rack would go that can also be shared by the rear mudguard.

I'm trying to post photos to show it but unable to. Any suggestions?

Cheers.
unless you link pictures from your own webstorage, they are limited to 97 kB.

At the LBS they showed me that hole when I asked for fenders. They showed me the Topeak Defender FX/RX and claimed it would be attached at that hole. But reading through the manual, I don't see any mentioning. They only mention using that huge headset hole (that the toughroad doesn't have). LBS only had the 27.5", so I didn't buy it. I don't think the sales people there know much - you have to catch the owner to get someone knowledgeable. so i'm not sure if they gave good advice or not. Which exact fenders do you have? I rode over some unpaved paths this weekend and definitely want fenders.

these topaek XC1/XC11 may fit onto the forks (not sure), but the front one alone cost $60. Ouch.
but there is also the Giant fender., but this seems to be on the Canadian site only.

I found a tube at LBS for $7.95. surprised they were that cheap compared to amazon. I even got it for free because with my new bike I got a voucher for free tube replacement and talked them into just giving me a tube to have with me (assuming they don't provide road site assistance :-)

Did someone find a good kickstand? On my tour I ran short of posts or railings to lean my bike on. Amazon has a user who used this on a toughroad (not much info). And there is a Giant-Mobility-Kickstand claiming to fit an array of Giant bikes (at least according this site)

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 04-17-17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 09:27 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Did someone find a good kickstand? On my tour I ran short of posts or railings to lean my bike on. Amazon has a user who used this on a toughroad (not much info).
Whilst I am not using that exact brand of kickstand, the kickstand I got from Rose Bikes looks near identical and I am very happy with it.

I cut out some old inner tube to put between the kickstand and my frame, not relying just on what comes with the kickstand.

And there is a Giant-Mobility-Kickstand claiming to fit an array of Giant bikes (at least according this site)
If Giant sell this kickstand, could you not go into a Giant dealer and ask them about it?
Old 04-18-17, 02:26 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried but it says. Need to have at least 10 posts before I can include URL. Maybe I'll post some more then try again.
Old 04-18-17, 02:34 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kick stand

O don't currently have a kickstand only because the balance between me wanting/needing one and with it being readily available for Toughroad (without sacrificing it's seamless design) does not motivate me to spend more time looking for one. But if there is one that's available, I won't mind buying one. That one from Giant looks good but last time I went to LBS they said they're not able to get it for me and offered others that does not appeal to me.
Old 04-18-17, 02:57 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mudguards

Btw. My mudguards are the Planet Bike Cascadia - Wide (SuperFlex) search it and it should pop up. I still can't posts links. I bought mine for AU$60, full set.
Old 04-18-17, 03:05 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preferred mudguards

Those Topeak mudguards look good. But my personal preference with mudguard are the ones that could go as close to the tyres as possible, making it almost part of the tyres/wheels. Also, I like how they contain the splashed in this way when I ride on wet days or after rain where roads are full of puddles.

Last edited by lestat; 04-18-17 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Incorrect words - autospell
Old 04-18-17, 03:11 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 more posts

2 more post before I can attach a link.
Old 04-18-17, 03:12 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully after this

Hopefully I can post link after this post.
Old 04-18-17, 03:13 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photo upload test

Photo upload test.

Old 04-18-17, 05:36 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
i removed the so-called frame fenders on my SLR2 - i thought they were more of an air drag than spoiler - and i saved a few grams too. I wonder if there's a way to also remove the plastic bracket that holds the wires to the frame on the down tube - how would i organise the cables then?
Old 04-18-17, 05:52 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
How much lighter can the SLR 2 be? - Who has the lightest SLR 2 ?
Old 04-18-17, 07:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Machoman121
How much lighter can the SLR 2 be? - Who has the lightest SLR 2 ?
On average, it weighs about 25 lbs stock.

Throw some carbon bars on it, carbon seatpost, lighter seat, tubeless tire setup, 1x drivetrain conversion, and some carbon rims or lighter aluminum rims...easily could get the bike in the 18-20 pound range.
Old 04-19-17, 04:26 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machoman121
i removed the so-called frame fenders on my SLR2 - i thought they were more of an air drag than spoiler - and i saved a few grams too. I wonder if there's a way to also remove the plastic bracket that holds the wires to the frame on the down tube - how would i organise the cables then?
Why not remove the entire rear brake assembly, that'll save a few ounces. Most of the braking is derived from the front anyway, 70% or more, just leave an extra couple of millimeters between you and the riders you are in the paceline with.
Old 04-20-17, 12:27 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
O don't currently have a kickstand only because the balance between me wanting/needing one and with it being readily available for Toughroad (without sacrificing it's seamless design) does not motivate me to spend more time looking for one. But if there is one that's available, I won't mind buying one. That one from Giant looks good but last time I went to LBS they said they're not able to get it for me and offered others that does not appeal to me.
A stand that doesn't ruin the look of your bike.

https://upstandingbicycle.com/
Old 04-21-17, 09:02 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
A stand that doesn't ruin the look of your bike.

https://upstandingbicycle.com/
That really looks good. Thanks.
Old 04-21-17, 09:09 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-21-17, 04:04 PM
paulsgs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice, what size is it?
Old 04-21-17, 08:19 PM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toughroad Mudguards

unless you link pictures from your own webstorage, they are limited to 97 kB.

At the LBS they showed me that hole when I asked for fenders. They showed me the Topeak Defender FX/RX and claimed it would be attached at that hole. But reading through the manual, I don't see any mentioning. They only mention using that huge headset hole (that the toughroad doesn't have). LBS only had the 27.5", so I didn't buy it. I don't think the sales people there know much - you have to catch the owner to get someone knowledgeable. so i'm not sure if they gave good advice or not. Which exact fenders do you have? I rode over some unpaved paths this weekend and definitely want fenders.

these topaek XC1/XC11 may fit onto the forks (not sure), but the front one alone cost $60. Ouch.
but there is also the Giant fender., but this seems to be on the Canadian site only.

I found a tube at LBS for $7.95. surprised they were that cheap compared to amazon. I even got it for free because with my new bike I got a voucher for free tube replacement and talked them into just giving me a tube to have with me (assuming they don't provide road site assistance :-)

Did someone find a good kickstand? On my tour I ran short of posts or railings to lean my bike on. Amazon has a user who used this on a toughroad (not much info). And there is a Giant-Mobility-Kickstand claiming to fit an array of Giant bikes (at least according this site)

Hey I'm able to post photos now. I took photos of where the holes are on my Toughroad that I attached my mudguards. I hope you got these on your one as well. Please have a look. Cheers.

Mudguards

Old 04-21-17, 08:44 PM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike's size

Originally Posted by paulsgs
Very nice, what size is it?

Hi. I'm not sure if you we're referring to my bike. But it is size XS. I'm only 165cm and I think Toughroads are a bit bigger than usual sizings compared to other bike models.
Old 04-24-17, 02:51 AM
lestat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long video. Full commute to work.

Test - Giant Toughroad Video upload

Last edited by lestat; 04-24-17 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 03:02 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Test - Giant Toughroad Video upload
That's what I love about the Toughroad. You can commute on it, and then take it out on the trails the next day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.