Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Upgrading to Di2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 09:44 PM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Upgrading to Di2?

I have a 2018 tcr advanced pro disc with Ultegra 8000 components, that include hydraulic disc brakes. What do I need to upgrade my bike to Ultegra di2?
Old 02-08-20, 09:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
New front and rear derailleurs.
New brakes and shifters
battery
junction box(es)
charger

You might be better off getting a new bike. I love Di2, but you have to decide whether the expense would be worth not having to press on levers.
Old 02-09-20, 07:14 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I have Di2 on a bike, but would never upgrade an existing bike to the system. It’s nice, but not worth the expense.
Old 02-09-20, 08:28 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I have Di2 on a bike, but would never upgrade an existing bike to the system. It’s nice, but not worth the expense.
True if buying new at retail, but with sales and used being options, upgrading can be an option.
Old 02-09-20, 08:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
True if buying new at retail, but with sales and used being options, upgrading can be an option.
My standard advice is: if you have to sacrifice (downgrade) anything else to get Di2, don't get it. Di2 won't make your bike faster, more comfortable, quieter, or smoother. But, if you can still afford the frame, wheels, etc, that you would choose anyway, and also afford Di2, then go ahead and get it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-13-20, 01:43 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
New front and rear derailleurs.
New brakes and shifters
battery
junction box(es)
charger

You might be better off getting a new bike. I love Di2, but you have to decide whether the expense would be worth not having to press on levers.
You can probably keep your existing brakes, but the Shifters are usually sold together with the brakes ;).
I agree that upgrading an existing bike is probably not worth it - it is likely to be cheaper to buy a new Di2 bike and sell the one you have right now.

However.. if you can find a good deal on the derailleurs and shifters (the most expensive parts of the build) then it could be worth it.