Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Let’s see your Clyde bikes.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Let’s see your Clyde bikes.

Old 05-25-20, 08:01 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Coming in on this. My 3 current rides. I'm 6'5" so they're pretty darn large

Pole Taival

Canyon CF SL

Duratec Custom Track (not my wheels but wish they were)
Likes For brawlo:
Old 05-26-20, 05:54 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
camjr this is one of the older bikes if not the oldest in these posts. Is that a French made frame and fork? I see all the old Japanese components which were looked down upon at the time but worked better than almost everything coming out of Europe. Especially the rear derailleurs. Is it a 27" wheel or 700c. Clincher 700c were rare in 1976. Tubular sewups are nominally 700c in size and racing bikes came with them but 700c clinchers were just starting to make an appearance in the USA. All in all a very nice bicycle.
It's a 1976 French made Motobecane Grand Touring. Vitus 172 frame. All original apart from the consumables, stem, and saddle. My father purchased it new in 1976, rode it for a while, and hung it from hooks in 1982. It didn't move until I restored it 2 years ago. It's been a labor of love since it was his. Original specs had the Japanese derailleurs and Wienmann brakes, but the Gran Compe brakes were original to the bike (during the cycling boom of the mid '70's, I've learned that many companies slapped whatever they could on the bike to get them out the door). The Suntour V-GTluxe rear derailleur is well respected and functions flawlessly. SR crankset. Pivo randonneur bars and stem (I just swapped it out for the shorter stem in the pic). I've still got the owner's manual that came with the bike, and the frame pump was purchased at the same time as the bike. 27 x 1 1/4" Weinmann wheelset.

I also spin miles on a more modern Fuji Absolute flat bar hybrid, but I love that old Motobecane. The ride is really nice.

Cheers.
Old 05-26-20, 02:39 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
It's a 1976 French made Motobecane Grand Touring. Vitus 172 frame. All original apart from the consumables, stem, and saddle. My father purchased it new in 1976, rode it for a while, and hung it from hooks in 1982. It didn't move until I restored it 2 years ago. It's been a labor of love since it was his. Original specs had the Japanese derailleurs and Wienmann brakes, but the Gran Compe brakes were original to the bike (during the cycling boom of the mid '70's, I've learned that many companies slapped whatever they could on the bike to get them out the door). The Suntour V-GTluxe rear derailleur is well respected and functions flawlessly. SR crankset. Pivo randonneur bars and stem (I just swapped it out for the shorter stem in the pic). I've still got the owner's manual that came with the bike, and the frame pump was purchased at the same time as the bike. 27 x 1 1/4" Weinmann wheelset.

I also spin miles on a more modern Fuji Absolute flat bar hybrid, but I love that old Motobecane. The ride is really nice.

Cheers.
Thanks for the update. I forgot about the Vitus tubing on French bikes. I don't remember Weinmann sidepull brakes but I've owned Weinmann center pull brakes. They are awesome. Dia Comp started making Weinmann pattern centerpulls and I have two bicycles equipped with them to this day. A lot of those old Suntour derailluers were made of steel and all that I've run into these days were perfectly serviceable. They just don't seem to wear out. They work as good as anything available these days. But they usually don't have the longer cages I need to run MTB type gearing and I swap them out. I still use two Suntour front derailleurs on my older bicycles and they are great. So good to have such a nice direct connection to your father. I have a guitar from my dad and I think of him when I play it. The 27" wheel is something I have become more interested in. I have one bike flat bar bike that has 27" wheels and it is as fast as my drop bar bike. I read somewhere there is a built in efficiency of several percentage points for 27" wheels over 700c. I can tell when I'm riding the 27" that it pulls very easily. Glad to hear that you still ride this bike. That is what they need.
Old 05-26-20, 02:51 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Welcome to a fellow 6'5" bicyclist. I can tell that you are buying the biggest newer style bikes you can find. I do a similar thing. Being cheap I buy older steel framed bicycles and rebuild them. The frame sizes I really like are 66cm-68cm. Since they are old school they don't have sloping top tubes so my seatpost does not stick out as far as yours. I have broken the seatpost tube at the upper lug on a bicycle with the seatpost way out. I've also seen other bicycles that broke there when the seatpost was way out. Of course any MTB is safer to ride with the sloping top tube. I can tell by the pictures you are much more flexible than I to reach those drop bars. My stomach fat and age have been getting in the way of bending that far. There is a small renaissance of builders using the 36" wheel and tire. Those bikes fit us real well and don't look too small. Maybe one day.
Old 05-26-20, 07:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Coronasploring today along the South Platte River. 2004 Specialized S-Works Epic FSR. Best dually ever made in my opinion

Mt. Evans in the background.

Trail could stand some work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-26-20, 08:00 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I didn't really ride much as a youth besides treating my cheap mountain bike like a BMX with all the jumps and stuff that I did on it. (I found that old bike under my parents house a year or so ago and pulled it out. I had bent the handlebars and the cranks! ) As such, I have no real ties to older style bikes and rediscovered cycling about 12 years ago. I am far more a function over form person and so I would rather prefer a bike that was stiff and compliant where it mattered than something that evoked emotions of yesteryear. Also, big bikes are fairly rare to see on the 2nd hand market. Those bikes do a job and do it extremely well. The Canyon is a spectacular bike to ride when compared to the Felt and Avanti that came before it. The Canyon was the first bike that actually got my front end even close to a standard kind of riding position. For some reason, the vast majority of big bikes come with horrendously short head tubes (even most endurance models are built that way) and put you in an aggressive position whether you want it or not. The track bike, well I am a sprint rider and that bike is just all about business. Long (the longest non-tandem frame Duratec had made apparently - and we really wanted longer) and low and all about speed, that bike has taken me to a 11.8s F200. The mountain bike, yes well I honestly have lusted over the hardtail version of the Dirty Sixer since I saw the first pics of the trial build. Unfortunately the price of the production model is way outside of my budget. I am thinking of increasing my MTB stable with a FS Pole Evolink. That and the hardtail would still come in well under the cost of the Dirty Sixer. But no doubt, if I come across the $$, I wouldn't hesitate to have a Dirty Sixer in my bike shed
Old 05-27-20, 05:50 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Originally Posted by tallbikeman
Thanks for the update. I forgot about the Vitus tubing on French bikes. I don't remember Weinmann sidepull brakes but I've owned Weinmann center pull brakes. They are awesome. Dia Comp started making Weinmann pattern centerpulls and I have two bicycles equipped with them to this day. A lot of those old Suntour derailluers were made of steel and all that I've run into these days were perfectly serviceable. They just don't seem to wear out. They work as good as anything available these days. But they usually don't have the longer cages I need to run MTB type gearing and I swap them out. I still use two Suntour front derailleurs on my older bicycles and they are great. So good to have such a nice direct connection to your father. I have a guitar from my dad and I think of him when I play it. The 27" wheel is something I have become more interested in. I have one bike flat bar bike that has 27" wheels and it is as fast as my drop bar bike. I read somewhere there is a built in efficiency of several percentage points for 27" wheels over 700c. I can tell when I'm riding the 27" that it pulls very easily. Glad to hear that you still ride this bike. That is what they need.
It was spec'd for Wienmann center-pulls but came from the shop with the DiaCompe Gran Compe side-pull brakes - I know my father didn't change any of the components back in the day. No issues with them at all, and it was easier to find new hood covers to fit them.

Cheers,
Old 05-30-20, 12:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
OK, here is my older Brompton.. from several years ago...
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-31-20, 09:45 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by justcynn
building a stable of clyde bikes during this pandemic. LOL. Here is my latest addition. 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome. This thing is remarkably original and nice. So far just have 30 minutes in cleaning and a rim/tire swap with a set on site and had it out for a 10 mile ride and it shifted and rode like new.

I since ordered a honey brooks saddle, going with red tape, recable in red, brown lever hoods and and brown leather straps for the toe clips. This might be my favorite bike of all time, all the cool kids had chrome Schwinn Predators when I was growing up. I might be 40 years late but this thing is going to be sweet!

This is just a real cool looking bicycle. I remember full chrome steel bicycles in the 70's and 80's. This is a real nice find and I'm sure it will ride fine.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 05-31-20, 10:34 PM
tallbikeman

My fastest road bike out in the gravel. 1980's Nishiki 68cm Sebring. Completely rebuilt with an unknown vintage Kabuki fork. Nice fast bicycle.

1970's vintage Schwinn Varsity with 700c x 40mm tires, 10 speed cassette hub. 10x1 which works fine. This bike is heavy but in my flat world its great. Those are Velocity Chukkar rims that I painted up. Because of the relaxed frame/fork angles and its smooth go anywhere ride this bike gets ridden a lot. In the last few years I've taken to wearing cow hide work gloves for cycling and like them much better than no finger cycling gloves. No nose seats on both bicycles.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 05-31-20, 10:49 PM
tallbikeman

Took a while to find this picture of my other heavily used bicycle. This is a 67cm 1980 Schwinn Sports Tourer that has been completely rebuilt. Frame/fork and brakes are original. Velo Orange 36 hole hubs with CR-18 27" x 1 1/4" rims and tires. Aero spokes, ie flattened. 10 X 2 shifting setup. Upright BMX cruiser handlebar and stem. This bicycle is fast and fairly light for its size. The 27" wheels work really well on dirt/gravel roads and even better on pavement. It has a noseless saddle also. Because of the more upright fork angle this bike is somewhat twitchier in its handling compared to the Varsity.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 06-06-20, 12:37 AM
Cpn_Crank
Tourer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji touring, 2015 specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Lots of good looking bikes in this thread

A bunch of these machines you wouldn't even guess were Clydesdale piloted outside of some tweaks here and there (higher bars or sturdier wheels here and there ) ----- but a lot of full race high performance looking machinery in here too
right. Totally surprised the heck out of me too. Even some REAL clydes are riding these speed machines, and most (all) of what I see is quality stuff, quite creative stuff too. I’m in the middle of building my Clyde ride, but I’ll post once I’m done! It’s a 2016 fuji Touring that I converted to a 10 speed (rear) and built a dynamo wheel to power a sine wave headlight. By the way I used a mavic a319 in true Big guy fashion!
ok, here’s a sneak peek...

This is a 2016 nashbar Touring (aka Fuji Touring) accept it is isnt. It’s been powder coated. You can see the Clyde wheel (Mavic a319, hand built).

Why is there a surly cross-check fork on a Nashbar Touring? Front end collision. Good thing the crappy old fork crumpled long ago. Probably better this way

Salmon compound brake pads.

Hand built Mavic a 319 laced to a Shimano dynamo hub with wheel smith butted spokes (built by me)

A Cane Creek 40 to replace the less-than-desirable generic headset

Here it is on 2 wheels (the front is one that I put on just to see the damned thing on 2 wheels). Not to just wait for my Gevenalle shifters, which are delayed from covid.

And here is my daily driver. Going to mod a few things, but this Pack Rat is such a good bike for people like us right off of the shelf!! Best I’ve ever felt on a bicycle (until I finish the Nash.)

hope you enjoyed! More to come!
Likes For Cpn_Crank:
Old 06-06-20, 10:05 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Likes For blue192:
Old 06-07-20, 09:48 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
blue192 How is your experience with that seat post going?
Old 06-07-20, 10:40 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
That seat post is doing wonders for me. I been using a thudbuster since 2008 and even with degenerative disc disease I can go over cracks and small pot holes without even noticing that much. Big pot holes I still feel though.
Old 06-12-20, 02:04 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Here is a repaint of one I have owned for a bit. I should have went over the wheels cause' I broke a spoke the other day and buffed the paint off the inside of the chainstay. Oh well - have airbrush can fix. I posted this already in the C/V forum.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 06-12-20 at 02:09 AM.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 06-12-20, 09:33 AM
camjr

Likes For camjr:
Old 06-13-20, 10:30 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Crank
right. Totally surprised the heck out of me too. Even some REAL clydes are riding these speed machines, and most (all) of what I see is quality stuff, quite creative stuff too. I’m in the middle of building my Clyde ride, but I’ll post once I’m done! It’s a 2016 fuji Touring that I converted to a 10 speed (rear) and built a dynamo wheel to power a sine wave headlight. By the way I used a mavic a319 in true Big guy fashion!

This is a 2016 nashbar Touring (aka Fuji Touring) accept it is isnt. It’s been powder coated. You can see the Clyde wheel (Mavic a319, hand built).

Why is there a surly cross-check fork on a Nashbar Touring? Front end collision. Good thing the crappy old fork crumpled long ago. Probably better this way

Hand built Mavic a 319 laced to a Shimano dynamo hub with wheel smith butted spokes (built by me)

Here it is on 2 wheels (the front is one that I put on just to see the damned thing on 2 wheels). Not to just wait for my Gevenalle shifters, which are delayed from covid.

And here is my daily driver. Going to mod a few things, but this Pack Rat is such a good bike for people like us right off of the shelf!! Best I’ve ever felt on a bicycle (until I finish the Nash.)

I am not remotely a large person but I like this bike. For the money I still lean towards the CO OP ADV 3.1.
I like the fact it has rim brakes. But the CO OP has a more relaxed frame geometry.
Old 06-13-20, 10:53 AM
Cpn_Crank
Tourer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I am not remotely a large person but I like this bike. For the money I still lean towards the CO OP ADV 3.1.
I like the fact it has rim brakes. But the CO OP has a more relaxed frame geometry.
the ADV 3.1 is well specced, I just searched it to take a look. That is some very relaxed geo if I do say so myself. Honestly, I think ADV 3.1 may be beyond clyde, perhaps for the upper end of that category (the Lower stand over height, the disk brakes, the more upright geo).

I do like that mine has rim brakes, I tried disk one time and I hate it, personally. It has its place for sure, but not in my life haha. but yeah it looks like the adv 3.1 is a fantastic bike. It’s really pretty too
Old 06-13-20, 01:19 PM
Cpn_Crank
Tourer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
My NEWEST Clyde Bike ...
STILL all Steel and lots of spokes ...
JD
whoah! THAT is a COOL BIKE!!! Everything from the campy shifters, to the color scheme, to the bartape, to the tires (I also notice that stem from conti tubes )

great job here. A true, fast Clyde road bike the way it is meant to be constructed.
Old 06-13-20, 05:36 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
the ADV 3.1 is well specced, I just searched it to take a look. That is some very relaxed geo if I do say so myself. Honestly, I think ADV 3.1 may be beyond clyde, perhaps for the upper end of that category (the Lower stand over height, the disk brakes, the more upright geo).

I do like that mine has rim brakes, I tried disk one time and I hate it, personally. It has its place for sure, but not in my life haha. but yeah it looks like the adv 3.1 is a fantastic bike. It’s really pretty too
My experience with disc brakes is minimal. Even mechanical discs have come along away in the last several years. BB5 are what a lot of people have experienced and they are really not very good. I can't believe they still make them.
What would be to much reach for me would not be for someone taller. That's why I like the ADV. There is a City 3.1 as well. Then there is something like the Salsa Fargo.
To much money. (I have flipped so many bikes it's time to pony up though). I stupidly sold a mint trek Multi Trac 750 in my flipping days. Paid $20. Oh I will find something better, yeah, then I didn't find a cheap bike for two years, and still wasn't as versatile as the 750 would have been..
Old 06-14-20, 11:05 PM
Cpn_Crank
Tourer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jim dandy
Cpn_Crank,
Thanks for the compliments. The Italian Job Two finished well after a rough start ... years of crud, decals, and a search for a Mavic/Campagnolo wheel set. All my brifters have been Shimano, so this Campagnolo Avanti set was a learning experience but fun to use.
Have you posted your Fuji and Specialized on this thread? I’d like to see them.
Regards, JD Dallas
Yeah dude, I can tell you have put some love into it. A true beauty. What kind of mavics are you using? I couldn’t see in the picture.

above are the Fuji (technically nashbar) touring being redone (I posted above) and the specialized, I will post below

Here’s the specialized

Some zipp bars suited it nicely
Likes For Cpn_Crank:
Old 06-15-20, 04:27 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Here is a repaint of one I have owned for a bit. I should have went over the wheels cause' I broke a spoke the other day and buffed the paint off the inside of the chainstay. Oh well - have airbrush can fix. I posted this already in the C/V forum.

What a beautiful bike. Old school Campy Record maybe? Very very nice. At my present age it would stay in one gear all the time because of the shifter locations. Still a freewheel 5 or 6 speed? You did a great paint job.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 06-15-20, 04:31 PM
tallbikeman

Jim Dandy Very Cool Bike. Love the color and Bianchi brand decals all over it. I'm sure it is fast. Hopefully more spokes less spoke breakage.

Last edited by tallbikeman; 06-15-20 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Comment is too far away from original posting and not clear who I'm complimenting.
Old 06-16-20, 03:46 PM
Kokiafan

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Built this one myself.

Dura ace 6800 components!
Now has a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt computer.
Likes For Kokiafan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.