Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When Changing a Back Tire

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-08-20, 11:13 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

... Do you stand next to the bike, or behind the bike (with the wheel between your knees)?
I have one bike and use it both on the trainer and outside, so I take the wheel off often.
It has disc brakes, and it's a pain to align everything while holding the RD open and putting the wheel on.
Old 06-08-20, 12:07 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Behind the bike, while it's in the repair stand.
Old 06-08-20, 12:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Are you shifting to the smallest cog before taking off/putting on the wheel?
Old 06-08-20, 01:39 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you shifting to the smallest cog before taking off/putting on the wheel?
Yeah. Big ring and small cog.
Old 06-08-20, 01:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
Not turning your bike over is the thing to do if you are simply handing your bad wheel to someone and getting a replacement wheel in return. It can be much quicker once you learn to skillfully do the dance.

However for times when I have to fix the tire and put the same wheel back on, I'll turn the bike upside down. It's just so much more convenient for me and with the bikes I've had.

And yes, if you have difficulty, it probably is partly due to not shifting to the smallest cog prior to removing and then getting the chain onto that same cog when reinstalling.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-08-20, 01:40 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Behind the bike, while it's in the repair stand.
Ah... I wish. My bike stand has an annoying spring that tensions one of the levers that hold it.
Old 06-08-20, 02:27 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Yeah. Big ring and small cog.
Hmm. Well, usually, I'll just get the chain on to the small cog and then let go of the RD and it isn't a problem. I can see how the chain/RD tension can make things a pain to align, but once the chain is on the teeth, you can use both hands to align, one on the frame, one on the wheel (I usually like to hold the wheel up near, and pull it in to, the seat stay/seat tube junction).
Old 06-08-20, 02:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Vertical drop outs on your bike? The older more horizontal drop outs did seem to be more of a pain. Larger tires might have you bumping the seat tube and having to squeeze the axle around the end of the old style drop out.
Old 06-08-20, 02:57 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
I shift into the smallest cog, and then stand behind the bike to remove the wheel. I usually ride in a group so there is always someone to hold the bike. When I am solo I lay it down on the non-drive side.
Old 06-09-20, 12:19 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I shift into the smallest cog, and then stand behind the bike to remove the wheel. I usually ride in a group so there is always someone to hold the bike. When I am solo I lay it down on the non-drive side.
You lay it down to put the wheel on? Interesting.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 06-09-20, 12:21 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hmm. Well, usually, I'll just get the chain on to the small cog and then let go of the RD and it isn't a problem. I can see how the chain/RD tension can make things a pain to align, but once the chain is on the teeth, you can use both hands to align, one on the frame, one on the wheel (I usually like to hold the wheel up near, and pull it in to, the seat stay/seat tube junction).
Originally Posted by Iride01
Vertical drop outs on your bike? The older more horizontal drop outs did seem to be more of a pain. Larger tires might have you bumping the seat tube and having to squeeze the axle around the end of the old style drop out.
Yeah, usually it's the brake disc that doesn't get aligned properly. I have one hand on the RD, the other holding the bike, so nothing left to keep the wheel/brake disc aligned. When I someone helps me, it's easy.
Old 06-09-20, 12:55 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
You lay it down to put the wheel on? Interesting.
No tricks up my sleeve....just an incomplete sentence....Lol!! The sentence should have ended with "after removing the wheel".
Old 06-09-20, 01:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Regardless of whether you hold the wheel between your knees or turn your bike upside down. It'll require a little practice to learn where to push on the DR and it's cage. Some DR's are just a little trickier and disc brakes and thru axles just add more to that learning curve. Me being used to a horizontal drop out and skewers am very clumsy mounting the rear tire on my new bike. But that'll change I'm sure.

If you are doing this at home and your stand doesn't work for you then you might do what I do for other types of bike maintenance and run a couple 2 x 4's through the rungs of a ladder and clamp them, then hang the bike on them. Or I have also just run the 2 x 4's over the edge of a kitchen counter or table, clamped them and hung the bike over them. If the bike moves too much, then secure it to the boards with an old inner tube or something.
Old 06-09-20, 01:30 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Shift to the smallest cog and stand the bike upside down, open the QR or TA, pull back on the DR and remove the wheel. Or the reverse. Standing the bike upside down is just MUCH easier and you get the wheel all the way in every time.
Old 06-09-20, 01:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not turning your bike over is the thing to do if you are simply handing your bad wheel to someone and getting a replacement wheel in return. It can be much quicker once you learn to skillfully do the dance.

However for times when I have to fix the tire and put the same wheel back on, I'll turn the bike upside down. It's just so much more convenient for me and with the bikes I've had.

And yes, if you have difficulty, it probably is partly due to not shifting to the smallest cog prior to removing and then getting the chain onto that same cog when reinstalling.
I haven't owned a bike that would not rock while upside down. Never had brake levers higher than the tops so the stem sits on the pavement and the handlebars want to spin.

I take wheels off from the left side (and lay the bike down on its left side if I need to work on the wheel but right side for my fix gears to keep the chain on the chain peg.and chainring. From behind on the stand.

Ben
Old 06-09-20, 01:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I guess I'm special. I've never had a bike I couldn't turn upside down since I started riding back in the mid 60's
Old 06-09-20, 08:50 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm a fan of turning the bike upside down. Especially with disc brakes, and always with horizontal dropouts.

But, I always think of Rule 49.
Old 06-10-20, 09:06 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I'm a fan of turning the bike upside down. Especially with disc brakes, and always with horizontal dropouts.

RULE 49 // Keep the rubber side down.It is completely unacceptable to intentionally turn one’s steed upside down for any reason under any circumstances. Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem, it is unprofessional and a disgrace to your loyal steed. The risk of the bike falling over is increased, wheel removal/replacement is made more difficult and your bidons will leak. The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing. This Rule also applies to upside down saddle-mount roof bars.

The Velominati is always good for a laugh. Seriously though, I was always under the impression that is was unwise to turn a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down.
Old 06-10-20, 10:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bidons have improved remarkably since this rule. Even the cheap ones the bikes shops give me for promotional purposes don't leak even when the spout is unlocked.

I'm still gonna be a badass and continue be a rule breaker!
Old 06-10-20, 10:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
The Velominati is always good for a laugh. Seriously though, I was always under the impression that is was unwise to turn a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down.
It is. Or it can be. They're usually no worse for the wear, but a bubble can work out of the reservoir and in to the line. I certainly wouldn't store it upside-down as a matter of course.
Old 06-12-20, 09:57 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Ah... I wish. My bike stand has an annoying spring that tensions one of the levers that hold it.
Not sure what that means, but if you have a bike work-stand, use it! Annoying spring and all.
Old 06-12-20, 10:55 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by wipekitty

I'd worry about the brake lever accidentally being actuated... does this ever happen when you flip it?
Old 06-12-20, 11:01 AM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I'd worry about the brake lever accidentally being actuated... does this ever happen when you flip it?
The wheels are still on while you are flipping the bike. The wheel comes off after the flipping process.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 06-12-20, 12:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Accidental actuation of the brake lever while the wheel is removed probably doesn't depend on whether it's flipped. There have been plenty of threads here admitting they grabbed the lever intentionally or unintentionally while the wheel was removed and popped the piston loose.

I guess we need to go back and ask if the bike was flipped or not. <grin> Well, not really, but I'd think if someone else was helping you. And one of you was holding the frame upright, then when trying to keep the front wheel from rolling the wrong lever might be pulled.

So it's a toss up. If you want to be careful, then find a piece of cardboard or plastic or something that is the thickness of your disc and secure it in there with a rubber band or such.

At least by having to remove it before installing the wheel, you'll be reminded to be careful of the brake lever.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-12-20 at 12:56 PM.