Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference between a $500 bike and $5K bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Difference between a $500 bike and $5K bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 04:48 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I don't know about power cables but can tell the difference in tubes.

Well then, I might have started down this path, but I am in territory over my head now......
Old 06-22-20, 04:48 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
well then like Glenn said, "tell him you can tell the difference between a $5000 and $10,000 bike"

I mean your friend is kind of right, if he wants exercise then a $500 bike ought to do it. If he wants enjoyable exercise then a $5,000 bike is better. From my experience, it is really hard to talk to engineers. So Good luck ???
I attributed it to the audiophool part.

He is also an attorney (patent).
Old 06-22-20, 04:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
...I don't look at cycling as a monetary investment. Bikes cost what they cost. My investment is time, and I'd like to maximize that time.
That's actually a really good point I hadn't though of.
Old 06-22-20, 04:55 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
This guy has an engineering degree from MIT and says he can hear differences between power cables.
That's it then, isn't it? The longer you're into something the more you know what you want. If he's not into bicycling $500 is fine. But the longer he rides potentially the better he wants the experience to be, or he wants it to his taste.

I just bought my new bike, and I had to figure out something that could do long hauls, but be fun. Light but durable, compliant but stiff. Fast but comfortable. I've been cycling long enough and finally had some resources so I went for a pricey bike that was a little exotic in its approach. I'm happy with it.

​​​​​I had built up a gravel bike from a mid 70s bike boom frame with a decent wheelset and ok groupset. If I didn't have the cash could I have rode that and been happy? Yup. But it wasn't as smooth, nor as fast.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 06-22-20, 04:56 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
This guy has an engineering degree from MIT and says he can hear differences between power cables.
Tell them there are people with "golden legs" who can tell the difference in bikes.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 06-22-20, 04:56 PM
Metieval

I attributed it to the audiophool part.

He is also an attorney (patent).
Funny thing is, I don't see bicycles any different than audio equipment. they all resonate.

Some frames are like speaker boxes. Even if the dimensions are correct how they are assembled could ruin them. I am not an expert on bike frame making or speaker box building. I however would like to think I can tell the difference between them.

Harmonics, vibrations....

how a bike frame resonates even. I mean a guy riding a 47 CM frame from the same line as a guy riding a 61, are going to feel 2 different things. In my opinion. So Technically speaking $5,000 bicycles compared to $5,0000 are not even the same thing.

Machines, well all moving things have frequency to them.... Blah my ability to express this is going to be a fail here. It's like driving a car down the road and feeling the brakes, feeling the U-joints, feeling the CV joints, feeling the bearings, feeling the rear end. Most people can't tell the difference between brands of tires, and then some of us can pin point the things that is slightly off and that is going to break next.

Last edited by Metieval; 06-22-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 04:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
So I got asked the following in an email from a non-cyclist friend today:

What is the benefit of a multi-thousand dollar bike over, say, a $500 bike? If its sole benefit is to go faster for a given amount of pedaling effort, that seems counterproductive. If the purpose of biking is exercise, reducing the effort defeats the purpose. OTOH, if you expend the same effort on a $5K bike as a $500 bike, you’ll go faster, which is both more dangerous and reduces your enjoyment of the scenery because you’re whizzing by so fast.

My diplomacy skills fail me. (This guy is spending > $5K on recreational audio equipment, so the issue isn't a restricted budget.)
problem is letting him frame the argument and basically troll you

why a more expensive bike
  • Quality of the ride and handling due to better design and frame (often forgotten)
  • components that work better, last longer and are easier to work on (of course there is the point of diminishing return)
  • Can ride longer
  • puts a bigger smile on my face
and then ask him why anyone would by a $400 remastered vinyl LP when they can get a $50 remastered LP, It doesn't play louder, so what is the use and why not just use an mp3 or spotify streaming with bose wireless bluetooth speakers....the music is the same

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-22-20, 05:01 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I would say your friend has a point. If what he wants from a bike is to get exercise and enjoy scenery, a $5k bike really doesn't have much value over a much less expensive bike....at least not for him.

As far as spending money goes, I don't know a single person that doesn't have some kind of recreational activity or hobby that they spend more money on than most people would consider normal. Cameras, audio equipment, cars, food, wine, artwork, skiiing, the list goes on and on. Judge not lest ye be judged. In other words, he should not question what you spend on cycling just as you should not question what he spends on audio equipment.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-22-20, 05:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
well then like Glenn said, "tell him you can tell the difference between a $5000 and $10,000 bike"
In 2015 I replace a Madone 4.6 (Rival) with a Emonda SLR (eTap) at a graduation gift to myself when my youngest was off the family payroll. It was a "stupid" expensive purchase and a total splurge. But after riding it I really got to appreciate all the little aspects. During Presidents week, I go to Scottsdale and rent a bike, for 3 years it was a Emonda SL with Ultegra. A really nice bike, but I could tell the difference in the performance and handling.

So until you spend time with and expensive bike, you won't know the difference. And if you can't tell them apart.. buy the cheaper one.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-22-20, 05:15 PM
Metieval

In 2015 I replace a Madone 4.6 (Rival) with a Emonda SLR (eTap) at a graduation gift to myself when my youngest was off the family payroll. It was a "stupid" expensive purchase and a total splurge. But after riding it I really got to appreciate all the little aspects. During Presidents week, I go to Scottsdale and rent a bike, for 3 years it was a Emonda SL with Ultegra. A really nice bike, but I could tell the difference in the performance and handling.

So until you spend time with and expensive bike, you won't know the difference. And if you can't tell them apart.. buy the cheaper one.
Would it be as big of a difference with the same wheels, and same tires?

I am not questioning just curious. Most people say they can't tell the difference in Cannondale hi-mod vs regular carbon. I could, so I paid for the hi-mod. but maybe it was because all the hi-mods I've ridden had better wheelsets. *shrugs* Congrats on eTap! I have di2 and well it spoils me. Get so lazy with super easy button pushes and it just instantly shifts. Again using e-shifting as an example of that mechanical bits moving that some riders can feel. It's a dream to ride.

Edit:
so there is this club ride near me, that I occasionally cross paths with, and they occasionally ride past. One day I heard them coming, well I at least heard 1 of them as his chain was growling big time as his cable needed adjusted. Most of em are older, and half deaf. and Of course I ran into them out on the road 2 weeks later. chain still rattling trying to shift. I said something about it, and the guys was like huh? , he can't hear it.
I said "You can't feel it either?"

Last edited by Metieval; 06-22-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 05:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If I had a $ 5000 budget to spend on a bike I would buy two different $ 2500 bikes instead of blowing $ 5000 on one bike....
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-22-20, 05:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Would it be as big of a difference with the same wheels, and same tires?
Then it wouldn't be a $10,000 bike

If your saying can you tell the difference between a SL and SLR with everything the same except the frame? Since i've never had the opportunity I can't answer that.

I can say the SLR seems to accelerate quicker and handles amazingly on the descents.. better than the SL. But the wheels also are a big factor.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-22-20, 05:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by wolfchild
If I had a $ 5000 budget to spend on a bike I would buy two different $ 2500 bikes instead of blowing $ 5000 on one bike....
If that what works for you.

I drove used cars for 30 years before finally feeling it was time for a new car. I never paid more than $4500 for any of them and put over 150,000 additional miles on each.

We all decide on what's important to us.
Old 06-22-20, 05:48 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
For $500, one could find a nice vintage steel with upscale components like Ultegra 6600 if one is patient. That would make a nice riding bike for a beginner and maximize that $500. I would not be able to justify spending $500 on new crap.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-22-20, 05:54 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
For $500, one could find a nice vintage steel with upscale components like Ultegra 6600 if one is patient. That would make a nice riding bike for a beginner and maximize that $500. I would not be able to justify spending $500 on new crap.
For $5k you get custom steel from a small outfit with modern ultegra and a brand new paint job
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 06-22-20, 05:59 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
For $5k you get custom steel from a small outfit with modern ultegra and a brand new paint job
I would have to sell my wife's $5000 car first then pay for a divorce attorney and lose half my assets so I have to stick with $500. It will take a couple years of recyclables but I will make it happen.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-22-20, 06:09 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
A $500 bike hangs in the garage because the owner isn't really interested in riding.

A $5000 bike hangs in the garage because the owner is scared of what might happen to it if he rides.
Old 06-22-20, 06:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
A $500 bike hangs in the garage because the owner isn't really interested in riding.

A $5000 bike hangs in the garage because the owner is scared of what might happen to it if he rides.
My newest bike cost a lot more than $5K, and I ride the hell out of it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-20, 07:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Extreme comparisons are always just trolling.

The truth is there is always middle ground for any purchase. It is never $500 or $5,000 in the real world for anything. And it is not a pristine Colnago on Craigslist being sold by a widow for $500.

Maybe the correct response is to ask how much would he pay for a car to jump in and drive across the country? Bring your suitcase when you pick it up. I mean all you are doing is steering and and pushing a gas or brake pedal; there really isn't any difference. $5,000 or $50,000? I imagine the response might be more than $5,000 but not $50,000. But those are the only choices. And 200 miles from no where in the middle of the night...

John
Old 06-22-20, 07:20 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
No. He is a patent attorney and engineer. He's a decent guy but he tends to be a bit ... awkward like this. He doesn't bike.
Remind your friend that he's not a scientist.

On the other hand, in his favor, he's not making a scientific argument:

What is the benefit of a multi-thousand dollar bike over, say, a $500 bike? If its sole benefit is to go faster for a given amount of pedaling effort, that seems counterproductive. If the purpose of biking is exercise, reducing the effort defeats the purpose. OTOH, if you expend the same effort on a $5K bike as a $500 bike, you’ll go faster, which is both more dangerous and reduces your enjoyment of the scenery because you’re whizzing by so fast.

He goes so far as to acknowledge a difference, namely speed / efficiency. So that doesn't need to be proven. On the other hand it's a loaded question because it assumes a particular purpose for cycling. If you disagree with this premise, say so: The sole purpose of cycling is not exercise, end of story.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-22-20, 07:23 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I am sure it has been posted before I even read through each post......but the difference between a $500 bike and a $5000 bike the last time I stacked and subtract is $4500. Kidding!

Lots of things as to upgrades and too many to list. As to the frames......sometimes not as much as you think.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 06-22-20, 07:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I am sure it has been posted before I even read through each post......but the difference between a $500 bike and a $5000 bike the last time I stacked and subtract is $4500. Kidding!
post #3 .
Old 06-22-20, 07:34 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
post #3 .
Bwaaaa ha ha......I hardly ever read through them if there are numerous replies. But #3 !!!! LOL.

Still my TI35 says $4500
Old 06-22-20, 07:38 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I just looked at Trek to see what a $5,000 bike is, and one example is the Emonda SL7 with Di2 Ultegra, disc brakes and carbon wheels. It weighs about 17 pounds or maybe a touch more with pedals and a larger size, has an 11-speed cassette and nifty mounts for lights and computers.

If you're lucky, $500 could score you another Trek from the US Postal Service era or maybe even a Discovery Team clone Madone. That's somewhat optimistic -- you'll probably pay more like $800 to $1,000 for a complete bike that's ready to ride. This bike will weigh about the same, be handbuilt in the USA, have easy to work on exposed cables, and have a 9- or 10-speed cassette and rim brakes.

So for the extra $4,500 you get disc brakes, electronic shifting, an extra cog or two on the cassette, more aerodynamic wheels, a warranty program and some more proprietary parts and cabling. A rider should be able to move either one down the road at the same speed; if the Emonda has a slight edge, it's inconsequential compared to the varying ability of riders. I'd take the old Trek and a glass of beet juice over the Emonda and a lousy night's sleep worrying about that $4,500.

This is why I feel for anyone selling road bikes. The past successes make future gains so difficult. It's a legit question, but probably not the tone your friend was taking.
Old 06-22-20, 07:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Coincidence? Your friend sounds very much like a familiar BF troll/sock. You need new friends....
How quickly some forget.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1150861-whats-difference-between-3000-bike-700-bike.html

Hopefully this thread will be locked more quickly.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.