Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazon... A warning.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amazon... A warning.

Old 07-06-20, 05:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
“[Fill in the blank] compatible” should set off alarm bells.
Old 07-06-20, 05:41 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Luckily in Europe where the majority of people have and use bicycles, there are many companies who stock and sell almost everything that you will ever need, and at cheaper prices than Amazon. Where I am currently at, there are 3 big companies that probably receive most of the online business for Shimano parts because they have almost everything in stock all the time with next day delivery if you order before 2pm. Only special brands like sugino or mks you have to search for at smaller companies that import directly from Japan.
Old 07-06-20, 06:21 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by myemptymind
Amazon and Ebay are full of knockoffs everywhere, not just cycling. I always look for the sellers country of sale. China, India, Thailand, Hong Kong etc.... dont buy!

Unfortunately the location of the item is not always correct on ebay and ebay tolerates it. I have ordered stuff that showed a California location and had a package from China arrive. I have learned over time how to spot the deception.
Old 07-06-20, 10:06 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Unfortunately the location of the item is not always correct on ebay and ebay tolerates it. I have ordered stuff that showed a California location and had a package from China arrive. I have learned over time how to spot the deception.
Part of all of this, too, is just the desire for time savings on the part of the seller. A large, well-known shop with a presence on eBay sold me a Brooks saddle, but they'd crafted general-purpose ads for that model of saddle, not distinguishing the specific features of the specific saddle sent to me. Ad was specific about having X feature, but I got Y feature; same saddle model, but different feature. They've got hundreds of ad listings they create, at any given time. I'm sure they don't open each and every box, and I'm sure the photos/specs used aren't specific to each and every boxed item individually. To the detriment of the buyers, now and then.
Old 07-07-20, 09:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've had good experiences buying bikes, parts and accessories on Amazon. No issues at all, I highly recommend it provided you do some due diligence.

I don't purchase high end however, which is much more risky for knockoffs and scams. The same goes for electronics. Workhorse quality common components, no problem.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-07-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-07-20, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Reminds me that I need to order new brake pads for the touring rig.
Old 07-07-20, 09:42 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Thanks for this PSA! I needed the reminder. I’ve bought counterfeit stuff (non bike) from Amazon before, and it was a nightmare getting my money back. Just not worth the risk.

I’ll buy through amazon from a trusted seller or if fulfilled by Amazon, but that marketplace isn’t any better than ebay or Alibaba. Buyer beware.
Old 07-07-20, 09:59 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
there is no cure for impulse & there is no substitute for convenience, hence amazon always seems best from from 9pm to 4am
Old 07-07-20, 10:24 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I've bought all sorts of stuff, off of Amazon and never had a problem...BUT having said that Amazon has changed in the last 3 to 5 years, they no longer give out good description information like they use to, and they no longer tell you if the seller is an authorized dealer for the product you want, so now you have to ask questions to get the information. If the seller is not an authorized dealer then you'll have problems with any warranty issue, and could run into a counterfeit item.

I've been buying bike parts for years, and in the last 25 years I've haven't bought anything from Jenson USA because they haven't been cheaper on anything that I ever needed. Now having said that it is wise to check several bike shops on line to see if they have something for less than Amazon, I've found a Serfas saddle for my wife cheaper at Serfas than I did on Amazon?! Strange, but it just goes to show you that you need to do some shopping, the biggest problems in pricing is usually the cost to ship, Amazon is most of the time free, but shipping from various stores can charge you from $5 to as much as $20 for the same item!

Ebay is a lot like gambling, you hope that the seller, who appears to have a lot of buyers with a high reputation score would be good to go, but China is smart, but crooked, they will load up glowing reports on a seller (they do this with reviews on Amazon too), because the seller and or the product is coming out of China, so they want you to think this product is good, they load as many as a 100 reviews, all 5 stars, and all fake. So I try to find a product with more than 100 reviews on Amazon; on Ebay I simply make up some question and ask the seller, if they don't respond I don't buy it from them.
Old 07-07-20, 11:44 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
Friggin' Bezos. Next time, lemme tell you, I will NOT buy my mail-order bride from Amazon. Was not sent from expected country of origin. Was not the size I ordered. Did not match the picture and definitely did not come in two days.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-07-20, 11:51 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by biketube guy
If a seller on Amazon tried to influence your review, or pay you for writing one, you should report that seller to Amazon. They can have their account shut down for doing things like that.
Been there and done that. Nothing. Lots of these places are the same. Currently buying a set of Conti 700X28 tires on eBay from a seller called bellsbike (in Philadelphia). About a 10 days ago, eBay marked it as shipped. If you look on the shippers site, you will notice that all they have done is created a shipping label. Nothing more. Nothing has shipped. So, almost three weeks from ordering and the product has not shipped, even though it was "guaranteed" to arrive on the 2nd of July. But to eBay, it has shipped. I have seen the game before but am still annoyed.
Old 07-07-20, 01:30 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Any website that is a company website for some product, and they have buyers reviews, you know they eliminate all the bad ones and post only the good ones.
Old 07-14-20, 08:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The guy who started a thread here today about his kid's rear derailleur - I wanted to point him to a better replacement than the identical part he'd found at a much inflated price. So I searched "Acera derailleur" on Amazon. The top result - from a brand called "Bessie Sparks" - was a copy of the previous generation. Their first photo has Shimano markings but the rest do not. Amazon shows it listed as a "Best Seller" with five whole reviews and three stars.

This is a new generation of listings. The previous generation were parts that were functional, slightly weird and all had six-letter names.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/s...copyright.html

The new ones are definitely just scanned copies. Another example is the "Fooker" pedals reviewed by Berm Peak Express a month ago, which are from a 3D scan of Race Face Chesters down to the barely-altered logo

Amazon is not innocent here. They support the forgers with advice how to use the website and the American market, and with SEO.

I wonder what Shimano's lawyers are doing about all this. I'm sure it's not nothing, not after killing all the gray market imports a year and a half ago.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-14-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-15-20, 01:37 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Just an FYI for those that weren't already aware, Amazon is an awful place to purchase bike parts and accessories.

Here's the thing, counterfeits run rampant on their Marketplace, and they do practically nothing to stop this fraudulent behavior.
​​​​​​
The worst part? You're not even getting them for a super-low price like all that highly questionable stuff on Ebay.
​​​​​​
In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a brand name bicycle part on Amazon that I couldn't purchase at a legitimate store such as JensonUSA for less, and be guaranteed that they're the real Mccoy.

This is not only seen with bicycle parts, but many other items as well. And once again, Amazon does very about to stop this activity.

I only buy cheap household stuff and such (that I figure would be pointless to counterfeit), or items that are sold through the manufacturer rather than a third party now.

Be careful when shopping online.
ebay is your friend !!
Old 07-15-20, 05:59 AM
CGLTD

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just bought some Shimano shift cables and Supacaz Kush tape and were the real thing.
Old 07-15-20, 09:49 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Friggin' Bezos. Next time, lemme tell you, I will NOT buy my mail-order bride from Amazon. Was not sent from expected country of origin. Was not the size I ordered. Did not match the picture and definitely did not come in two days.
that's on you, quit blaming them!

Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-16-20, 05:07 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
I live in Hawaii, and if the online bike companies even ship here (which many don't), they charge outrageous shipping costs even though there isn't much difference in US postal rates from Hawaii to the US mainland. They're just price gouging when they charge $15 to ship a small lightweight $10 part. Some of these companies will only ship using UPS or Fedex whose rates to Hawaii are insane. Like most people on the island, I depend on free shipping as part of Amazon Prime. When I can find bike parts from an LBS, the prices are 2-3 times higher than Amazon. Since the LBS's don't stock a lot of parts or accessories, they have to order it from the mainland. Why bother when I can get the parts faster and cheaper from Amazon? On the other hand, I wouldn't use Amazon as much if I lived in a big city with well-stocked competitive bike shops or where shipping was cheap. It's all about necessity.
Likes For Ramshackle:
Old 07-16-20, 05:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle
I live in Hawaii, and if the online bike companies even ship here (which many don't), they charge outrageous shipping costs even though there isn't much difference in US postal rates from Hawaii to the US mainland. They're just price gouging when they charge $15 to ship a small lightweight $10 part. Some of these companies will only ship using UPS or Fedex whose rates to Hawaii are insane. Like most people on the island, I depend on free shipping as part of Amazon Prime. When I can find bike parts from an LBS, the prices are 2-3 times higher than Amazon. Since the LBS's don't stock a lot of parts or accessories, they have to order it from the mainland. Why bother when I can get the parts faster and cheaper from Amazon? On the other hand, I wouldn't use Amazon as much if I lived in a big city with well-stocked competitive bike shops or where shipping was cheap. It's all about necessity.
That's the price you pay for the choices you make. Like living in paradise.
Old 07-17-20, 09:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Not apropos of bike parts, here is the knockoff of the camp stove* griddle I'm shopping. Where did the photographer get these foods? The egg looks fake, the hamburger looks like it was just unwrapped, I'm not sure what to think about the... the... is it a hot dog?

* for the RV, put away the butane
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-18-20, 03:44 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Been there and done that. Nothing. Lots of these places are the same. Currently buying a set of Conti 700X28 tires on eBay from a seller called bellsbike (in Philadelphia). About a 10 days ago, eBay marked it as shipped. If you look on the shippers site, you will notice that all they have done is created a shipping label. Nothing more. Nothing has shipped. So, almost three weeks from ordering and the product has not shipped, even though it was "guaranteed" to arrive on the 2nd of July. But to eBay, it has shipped. I have seen the game before but am still annoyed.
That’s surprising to me. I thought the place had a decent reputation, though I’ve never used them. Too far from my house.
Old 07-18-20, 01:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Any website that is a company website for some product, and they have buyers reviews, you know they eliminate all the bad ones and post only the good ones.
Plus, a lot of sellers create or pay to have created, positive reviews/feedback.

Cheers
Old 07-05-21, 08:06 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Needed a replacement Shimano Acera 9spd RD. I use Amazon to scan the market.
Hit by an AVALANCHE of BS. ˜50-60 weirdly labeled "Shimano" and " Acera" hits within AMZ.
Some priced ridiculously high, lots of price scatter.

Impossible to vet or even sort through
I have been burned with Amazon counterfeits, and especially with the FBS, fulfillment by Amazon stuff.
Not sure if long shipping clue is China or somebody selling, then ordering elsewhere to send out.
Seeing lots of shipping / nonPrime games and "hidden" shipping charges.

My time has to be worth nothing to use them at this point.

PS :
Amazon QA is you returning merchandise.
Just plain sloppy. They really do not care to vet their own stuff.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 07-05-21 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-05-21, 08:16 AM
Me2gingko

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Super Sport / 1954 Schwinn Spitfire / 90's Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I agree that the unsavory sellers on Amazon are increasing. Reviews will often show pics of counterfeit items they have received. If uncertain, I make sure it has a free return, then inspect carefully after it arrives. But, supporting a LBS is valuablele on many levels. I would hate for Amazon to become the only option...
Likes For Me2gingko:
Old 07-05-21, 08:47 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I've never had a problem with Amazon, and buy a lot of stuff there. As a matter of fact, I bought my Meridian Trike there --

You can tell the BS listings from the legit.
Old 07-05-21, 08:49 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Plus, a lot of sellers create or pay to have created, positive reviews/feedback.
Do you have documentation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.