Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

3:30am rides to escape the desert heat

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 11:41 PM
2Wheelforfun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

After 10am it is already too hot for long rides (and too much UV). So, have recently been getting up at 3:15 and out of the house at 3:30am. I live close to many bike only paths, and have been doing some nice rides at this time. Anybody else enjoy this hour for riding?
Old 07-22-20, 03:54 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've been riding at 4:30 AM for some years now. Originally started when trying to lose weight for a scout camp and found it difficult to make time in the evening after work. Once I got into the habit realized watching the sun rise from the saddle is an excellent way to start the day, Trails are empty, traffic non-existent, wildlife is abundant, I really became aware of the phases of the moon. I have a 4 mile rail trail that dumps into a rural area, perfect for morning rides. Riding in the morning also left the evening free to backpack or some other workout.

Now with the covid and working from home I can take off in the middle of the day and the boss is none the wiser. Still miss my morning rides, think that is contributing to my covid funk.
Old 07-22-20, 04:18 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
A 4:30-5:00am start, for me, is frequent. Particularly in the heat, it's a good way to avoid the nastiest part of the day. Far fewer people on the road, though there are critters all over the place. Early has always been my preference, since the '70s.
Old 07-22-20, 06:28 AM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
I worked swing shift for over a decade and would ride after getting of second shift at 3am. It was more for the fact the roads were empty at that time.
Old 07-22-20, 08:05 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've long enjoyed night rides. As long as I am back by 10am morning it OK too.
Old 07-22-20, 11:40 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
When working on a year long environmental job that had to be done at night, I very much enjoyed the bicycle commute home about 3 or 4 am.
Very little traffic that slows you down, no waiting for green lights and much more quite.
Old 07-23-20, 09:49 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Wuss.

I used to ride from Tucson to Phoenix in the middle of August, and I liked it!

Kids these days.

Seriously, though, some of the most fun rides Ihad were the midnight-ish rides I would do in the desert.
Old 07-23-20, 08:42 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Wheelforfun
After 10am it is already too hot for long rides (and too much UV). So, have recently been getting up at 3:15 and out of the house at 3:30am. I live close to many bike only paths, and have been doing some nice rides at this time. Anybody else enjoy this hour for riding?

For my Birthday Ride I double my age and ride it in miles then add 1 for "good measure." Two weeks ago tonight I began my ride at 9:49PM so I could cover the distance before the Sun rose too high into the sky since this month by 10:00AM it's been hitting 90F. My typical beginning time is midnight but those rides are usually only 100 miles and with the added BIRTHDAY MILES I needed the extra DARK HOURS due to the ongoing recovery from my 1:25AM -- April 27th biking crash after getting hit by a 150lb wild hog resulting in a cracked left scapula, cracked 2 ribs, punctured lung, left shoulder damage and some other small issues.

Night riding is extremely relaxing and since life's events has caused my speed to be drastically reduced the chances of out riding the headlights are ZERO TO NONE. Interesting actually seeing progress of housing construction when riding the same roads during daylight hours. Completed my 141 mile Birthday ride while it was in the upper 80F's.