Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 Dumb Q's

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2 Dumb Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 12:36 PM
marcdanziger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Di2 Dumb Q's

I'm retromodding my old Santana Tandem to add hydraulic discs; bought a new fork, will braze on caliper mounts in back, etc.

I'm now shopping for components - the bike came with all Campy (3 x 7 cranks, cantilever brakes, derailleurs, bar-end shifters); I'd like to keep the cranks, update to 3 x 11.

I've got the Di2 compatibility charts, and have a decent concept of how to read it - but I get stuck on the question of shift levers; the 8070's show as working with the XR central unit and front derailleur - but on the 8070 unit itself it says 2 front rings.

Anyone expert enough to advise?? Or just want to toss something out to confuse me further?
Old 07-26-20, 11:26 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Sorry - I somehow missed this thread ;-).

You can use any Di2 shifter with any Di2 derailleur.

The only exceptions are:
  • 7090 series - these components use a different connector/protocol and won't work with anything else.
  • SW-R610 - these sprint shifters will ONLY work if you plug them into ST-6870 / 9070 / r8050 / r9150
Also:
  • You cannot mix 10 speed derailleurs and 11 speed derailleurs
  • You cannot mix mtb derailleurs and road/grx derailleurs
If you want to use a triple crankset then you're limited to just one front derailleur: the XTR FD-M9050: https://bettershifting.com/component...leur-fd-m9050/
Now.. before you rush off and buy this, keep in mind that this FD cannot be installed to a frame with a braze-on mount.
You would probably need a High or Low mount adapter (make sure these fit your frame)The two other options, 'direct' and 'e-type' mount are also linked on those pages, but I doubt you'll need those.

If you decide to use the XTR FD-M9050 then you will be limited to three MTB rear derailleurs, either of these:Ask me anything (Di2)! ;-)
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 07-26-20, 11:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
TerryDi2C : I have no technical interest in this particular question, but I still learned some things and Di2 from your post. Thank you! Tremendously clear and detailed post.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-26-20, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
wider spaced distance between 2 or 3 chain rings an issue ? ala 7 vs 11 speed chains seems to be a FAQ ...
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-26-20, 12:47 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Probably.. yeah..Not sure about campag spacing.. but all info on the FC-M9020-3 should be here: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/MTB/Crankset