Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pedals without reflectors???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 09:33 AM
Biker586

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been looking to buy new bike pedals, many beautiful looking pedals on Amazon, and none of them even have the option to put a reflector on them.

What is going on? WHY so many sales of bike pedals without the option to put a reflector on them?
Old 07-27-20, 09:40 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Because they are ineffective. If you want to be seen, mount front and rear running lights on your bike. Motorists aren't looking down toward your pedals and are unlikely to notice them even if their headlights reflected off of them, as the reflectors would be small, and the overhang of your foot likely blocks most of it anyway.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-27-20, 09:41 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker586
I have been looking to buy new bike pedals, many beautiful looking pedals on Amazon, and none of them even have the option to put a reflector on them.

What is going on? WHY so many sales of bike pedals without the option to put a reflector on them?
Many people don't want reflectors on their pedals. This one is good and has them.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-27-20, 09:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I think the ankle reflector straps are considered more effective. Better position and bigger. The fact that they move makes it about the best place for a reflector.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-27-20, 10:20 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

I have these 9/16" pedals on my "city" bike.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-27-20 at 10:33 AM. Reason: photo
Old 07-27-20, 10:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I ride in daylight, early dawn, evening twilight and full darkness. I have never considered reflective pedals to be of great benefit. If you want to be seen, then make yourself seen. Get the pedals that work for your riding style, shoe interface and environment.

In decreasing importance from most to least (for me).
(1) Redundant, bright, varying-mode tail lights, one for helmet, one for rear rack or seat tube.
(2) Redundant, bright, controlled beam forward lights, one for handlebar, the other for helmet mount.
(3) Reflective patches on rear panniers (both side and rear view reflectives)
(4) Reflective sidewalls on tires
(5) Reflective details on upper outer clothing layer.
(6) Reflective details on lower outer layer, including ankle bands or shoes/covers
(7) Pedal or other standard bike reflectors

Take this for what it's worth.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-27-20, 10:43 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I certainly notice when a bike has pedal and wheel reflectors, but they're too low to be visible in traffic, so I wouldn't depend on them as my first line of defense. Also, bright LEDs and reflective fabrics have changed how we think about visibility since the time when reflectors were mandated on bikes.

When I was in middle school, there was a day one summer when we all suddenly had to take all of the reflectors off of our bikes because someone learned from one of the older kids, that reflectors are not "cool."
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-27-20, 10:58 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Gresp15C

When I was in middle school, there was a day one summer when we all suddenly had to take all of the reflectors off of our bikes because someone learned from one of the older kids, that reflectors are not "cool."
Shhhh. You're describing my daylight dedicated cruising bike.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-27-20, 11:23 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have also wondered about this!

In Illinois, it is the law. All pedals must have reflectors..... Yet, they seldom come with them, and you never see them anywhere, except on new bikes.
Old 07-27-20, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer

In Illinois, it is the law. All pedals must have reflectors.....
Citation to authority? My research indicates that a relatively recent change in the law means no reflectors of any kind are required. At night you need a front, white headlight and a rear red reflector OR red light.

I also see that the state's DUI stature does not apply to cyclists, and there is no separate BUI statute.
Old 07-27-20, 11:42 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
From the back pedal reflectors absolutely work. The opposing up and down movement identifies it as a person pedaling a bike, not something that may be going the same speed as the motorists. The nice thing about pedal reflectors is you can't forget them, they are always there. But yeah, reflective ankle straps do the same thing. But you still need lights front and rear in the dark.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 07-27-20, 11:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Citation to authority? My research indicates that a relatively recent change in the law means no reflectors of any kind are required. At night you need a front, white headlight and a rear red reflector OR red light.
For IL you are correct, the requirement was updated recently.
Old 07-27-20, 11:47 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts

I have a fairly decent headlight on my bike when I am riding home after dark through the rougher part of town, and sometimes a single pedal reflector is all there is to show me a cyclist up ahead.

I commute year round and I am all for lights and reflectors. If you find a pair of pedals you like that don't have reflectors, try applying some reflective tape to them, or to the crank arms, or your shoes, or wear reflective ankle bands.

Or if you use toe clips like me, get some LED shoes like I did:
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ric-shoes.html
Old 07-27-20, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
For IL you are correct, the requirement was updated recently.
Were pedal reflectors an actual requirement? I didn't dig deep, but from what I saw the change was from requiring a rear reflector to requiring a either a reflector or a light, with no mention of where the reflector had to be pre-law change.

And to make the issue germane to this thread, the reason I saw offered for the change is that lights are more effective than reflectors, as at least one person above has noted.
Old 07-27-20, 12:03 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have also wondered about this!

In Illinois, it is the law. All pedals must have reflectors..... Yet, they seldom come with them, and you never see them anywhere, except on new bikes.
If your law is like Michigan's, that's not quite true. New bikes must have reflectors including on the pedals and in the wheels at the time of sale (unless there is no practical application or some such wording.) So new bikes are simply sold without pedals. There is no requirement for the reflectors to be left on after the sale.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 07-27-20 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 12:04 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Were pedal reflectors an actual requirement? I didn't dig deep, but from what I saw the change was from requiring a rear reflector to requiring a either a reflector or a light, with no mention of where the reflector had to be pre-law change.
No, they were/are only required on new bikes.
Old 07-27-20, 12:16 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Here ya go ----

Code:
"(625 ILCS 5/11‑1507)
Code:
(from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑1507)
Code:
Sec. 11‑1507.
Code:
Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.
Code:
(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the Department which shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.
Code:
(b) A bicycle shall not be equipped with nor shall any person use upon a bicycle any siren. This subsection (b) does not apply to a bicycle that is a police vehicle or fire department vehicle.
Code:
(c) Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will adequately control movement of and stop and hold such bicycle.
Code:
(d) No person shall sell a new bicycle or pedal for use on a bicycle that is not equipped with a reflex reflector conforming to specifications prescribed by the Department, on each pedal, visible from the front and rear of the bicycle during darkness from a distance of 200 feet."

Last paragraph - and since nobody (seller) knows what bike it will go on - all pedals are to be equipped with reflectors.
Old 07-27-20, 12:19 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Ill Law .
Code:
625 ILCS 5/11‑1507)
Code:
Code:
Sec. 11‑1507.
Code:
Code:
(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the Department which shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.
Code:
(b) A bicycle shall not be equipped with nor shall any person use upon a bicycle any siren. This subsection (b) does not apply to a bicycle that is a police vehicle or fire department vehicle.
Code:
(c) Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will adequately control movement of and stop and hold such bicycle.
Code:
(d) No person shall sell a new bicycle or pedal for use on a bicycle that is not equipped with a reflex reflector conforming to specifications prescribed by the Department, on each pedal, visible from the front and rear of the bicycle during darkness from a distance of 200 feet.
Old 07-27-20, 12:20 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Code:
625 ILCS 5/11‑1507)
Code:
Code:
Sec. 11‑1507.
Code:
Code:
Code:
Code:
Code:
(d) No person shall sell a new bicycle or pedal for use on a bicycle that is not equipped with a reflex reflector conforming to specifications prescribed by the Department, on each pedal, visible from the front and rear of the bicycle during darkness from a distance of 200 feet.
Old 07-27-20, 12:29 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Code:
Here ya go - last paragraph.

(625 ILCS 5/11-1507)
Code:
(from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-1507)
Code:
Sec. 11-1507.
Code:
Code:
(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the Department which shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle, except that a lamp emitting a steady or flashing red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear may be used in addition to or instead of the red reflector.
Code:
Code:
Code:
Old 07-27-20, 12:30 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I don't know why it does this.
Old 07-27-20, 01:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

That was killing my brain, Wanderer.

Here ya go, again.

625 ILCS 5/11‑1507(from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑1507)Sec. 11-1507.

(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the Department which shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle, except that a lamp emitting a steady or flashing red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear may be used in addition to or instead of the red reflector.

Old 07-27-20, 01:45 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Provide the link to stuff you are quoting.
Old 07-27-20, 01:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts

Welcome to BF! Which beautiful pedals would you like to get? Maybe we can help you figure a way to get reflectors on them since it's important to you. What are you using now?
Old 07-27-20, 02:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have several pedals with built in reflerctors.
MKS 3000R. their Dutch rubber block pedals.
Ergon pedals have huge wrap around reflectors..
and the classic Phil Wood CHP

other pedals you may get at your bike shop may have reflectors available,
not every one likes them so they are collected in a bin
clipless rarely have room for them

add 3M reflective tape ?

put a reflective pants cuff strap on your leg?

No, I wont help you find things on Amazon..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.