Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 07-29-20, 10:24 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Awesome ride.
Hmmm, some bearded guy on Round Swamp Road

......whose Garmin-Fu is far in advance of mine. So here's a question. I recorded todays ride to St. Rocco's. It's on the Edge Explore under 'history" as "today". Is there a way to save the route to "saved courses"? I'm not concerned about the ride stats, just the route.

We've been starting rides at 745 during this heat.
Old 07-29-20, 03:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Hmmm, some bearded guy on Round Swamp Road

......whose Garmin-Fu is far in advance of mine. So here's a question. I recorded todays ride to St. Rocco's. It's on the Edge Explore under 'history" as "today". Is there a way to save the route to "saved courses"? I'm not concerned about the ride stats, just the route.

We've been starting rides at 745 during this heat.
Yes, go to the Garmin Connect website, open the ride in Actvities, above the mileage is a gear symbol, press that, an option is to Save as Course. Note that this becomes a route visible to the public, so if you started at home, maybe don’t.

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-29-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 09:32 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, go to the Garmin Connect website, open the ride in Actvities, above the mileage is a gear symbol, press that, an option is to Save as Course. Note that this becomes a route visible to the public, so if you started at home, maybe don’t.
Bad news is that the Connect phone app is still "down for maintenance" and the ride does not appear under Activities on the Connect website. Apparently the hack debacle is still ongoing.

Good news is that there IS an option to save it directly on the device which took all of 5 seconds. I'm learnin'!
Old 07-30-20, 12:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

The ride is always on the device and saves as. .fit file. And yes, you can transfer these to a PC or upload to Strava, RWGPS, etc...

Curious, as Connect apps are now back to normal, for me and my rides transferred up on Monday. As of today I’m not getting the Down For Maintenance message on the app and Connect worked for me yesterday.
Old 07-31-20, 05:00 AM
kaos joe

The ride is always on the device and saves as. .fit file. And yes, you can transfer these to a PC or upload to Strava, RWGPS, etc...
Curious, as Connect apps are now back to normal, for me and my rides transferred up on Monday. As of today I’m not getting the Down For Maintenance message on the app and Connect worked for me yesterday.
Yes, I just wanted to have the ride listed with other "saved courses" rather than have to find it under "history". My Connect app appears back to normal, no "Down for Maintenance" warning.
Old 07-31-20, 03:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Nasty morning but it cleared up and I headed out in the afternoon. I needed 35 miles to have 600 for the month. I finished July at 603 miles.

It's been a record year for riding.

Last edited by GlennR; 07-31-20 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 09:46 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Out this morning before it got hot... very nice.
Old 08-03-20, 10:37 AM
The 2nd G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is there anyone in the forum who starts their rides somewhere near the Huntington area? This newbie would love to link up with an experienced rider and try to keep up!
Old 08-03-20, 04:17 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Be on the lookout:
https://patch.com/new-york/oysterbay...campaign=alert

Police said they are looking for the driver of this pickup truck involved in a hit-and-run on Eastgate Road in Massapequa. Police said they are looking for the driver of this pickup truck involved in a hit-and-run on Eastgate Road in Massapequa. (Courtesy Nassau County Police Department)
Old 08-03-20, 05:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

FU$%ER.. I hate people like that.

Bad enough driving too fast on a residential street. But to leave a 11 year old laying in the street.. there's a special place in hell for people like that.

That person will be caught. eastgate is behind the mall and sort of a dead end area. The driver was there for a reason and not just passing through. I'm sure the police are going door to door to find who she was visiting.
Old 08-04-20, 11:13 AM
Steve B.

FU$%ER.. I hate people like that.

Bad enough driving too fast on a residential street. But to leave a 11 year old laying in the street.. there's a special place in hell for people like that.

That person will be caught. eastgate is behind the mall and sort of a dead end area. The driver was there for a reason and not just passing through. I'm sure the police are going door to door to find who she was visiting.
Add to this 2 kids, 9 & 12, hit last night while riding on the LIE service road shoulder in Ronkonoma, the driver also left the scene, was caught later, 31 yr old women from Hauppauge. Lot of times a motorist will leave the scene and risk getting caught hours later, after the alcohol has worn off and they can pass a DUI test. Leaving the scene is less legally onerous than a DUI, which is something the state needs to change.
Old 08-04-20, 11:24 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Leaving the scene is less legally onerous than a DUI, which is something the state needs to change.
Easy to fix.. if you leave you lose your license for a year or 3.
Old 08-04-20, 11:51 AM
Steve B.

Easy to fix.. if you leave you lose your license for a year or 3.
Then they just drive without. BIG fine, like $3,000 or $5,000 might work. Maybe license and surrender plates on any vehicle you have registered.

My biggest issue is there are countless accidents where a motorist hits and kills a cyclist. Many times the LEO's just take the drivers word of "he swerved into the road" and that's the end of it after they do a brake check. Too many motorcyclists as well get killed when a driver turns across their path and they never cite the motorist for "failure to yield right-of-way" or "failure to exercise due care", both of which are NY State laws. Cops never seem to use these laws when the reason for an accident is obvious. You should be held liable when you drift out of the lane of traffic and hit or kill a cyclist, yet the police just don't seem to care.
Old 08-04-20, 01:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Down my block.
Old 08-04-20, 02:04 PM
Steve B.

Down my block.
Roads are going to be a mess tomorrow and a few days after.
Old 08-04-20, 02:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Roads are going to be a mess tomorrow and a few days after.
I'll wait till Thursday, and the Bethpage trail will be a mess for a week.
Old 08-05-20, 08:31 AM
Steve B.

I thought maybe a ride to Jones today would be an idea, less debris in the roads, etc..., all good except for the tree completely blocking the path about 100 yards north of the theater lot. You could get under it, or hop the guardrail and walk in the parkway traffic lane. You then encountered the young beach employee sitting at the spot where the path crosses the lot exit, with orange cones blocking the path, stating either the “path is closed” or “the park is closed”, wasn’t sure, everybody in both directions were ignoring her. Seems the park was closed, judging be the looks I got from the employees on the boardwalk. No damage I could see, but also nobody on the beach either.

They made no effort to put out cones at the north end of the path at Cedar Creek, or signage of any kind. You essentially rode south the 5 miles, went under the tree, rode 100 yards to hear a “the path is closed”.
Old 08-05-20, 09:32 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

I have a tree down at the end of the block... about 150 years. So I taped a cardboard sign that says ROAD CLOSED onto the stop sign just under the word STOP.

The majority of drivers continue down the block only to get to the end and turn around.

MORONS
Old 08-05-20, 10:06 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
NCPD has apprehended the driver who hit the 11yo:
Nassau Police Charge Woman In Hit-And-Run Of 11-Year-Old Boy
Police say the woman hit the boy with her pickup truck and then fled the scene, leaving him seriously injured.
By Alex Costello, Patch Staff Patch Staff Badge
Aug 5, 2020 7:50 am ET

Nassau County police say Laura Nucatola hit an 11-year-old boy with her pickup truck and then fled. (Courtesy Nassau County Police Department)
MASSAPEQUA, NY — Nassau County police have arrested a woman they say hit an 11-year-old boy with her pickup truck in Massapequa Sunday and then fled the scene.

https://patch.com/new-york/oysterbay...campaign=alert
Old 08-05-20, 11:00 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Awesome, I bet they tracked her down by talking to all the households in the area. She was in the location for a reason and not just passing through.
Old 08-06-20, 08:35 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Lots of debris on the roads and many are closed so my rides was a bit choppy.

It wasn't supposed to rain but it did and I was 6 miles from home.
Old 08-06-20, 01:02 PM
Steve B.

Lots of debris on the roads and many are closed so my rides was a bit choppy.

It wasn't supposed to rain but it did and I was 6 miles from home.
YES !, what was that rain ?. I missed the 40% chance weather report, turned west while somewhere in Connetquot, saw a dark sky and was like WTF ?. Rode in a light rain the last 10 of a 40, it was OK though, I was as wet from the humidity.

Old 08-08-20, 01:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

47 miles, still some streets are blocked. It didn't rain but it was drizzling at times. Temps were nice and road had little traffic.
Old 08-09-20, 12:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode to Smithtown... was totally burntout by the time i got back.

The road was closed at West Rogues Path just before the RR crossing, so I went around only to still be 100 feet short of the crossing. I asked the police officer if I could walk to the crossing and he said sure, just step over the wire laying on the ground. He joked that it was dead but next to it was a smoking section of pavement when it was sparking previously. I stepped over it carefully and carried the bike over it... just in case.

Lots of groups out there. On Pulaski 2 groups for 20+ road past from the other direction.

I also learned that there were many convoys of lineman traveling. The only thing worse than a truck with a trailer, is a truck with a 40" trailer with telephone poles on it followed by a half dozen others. It was like having a train go past you on the road. i had to wait till a few cars passed to know they were done.
Old 08-10-20, 10:39 AM
The 2nd G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pulaski? West Rogues. You're pedaling in my backyard! I'll be on the lookout for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.