Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Edge 830 and IQ apps

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 11:14 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Edge 830 and IQ apps

I have tried to search for IQ apps that road riders find useful with the 830, but I must not be using the right search terms. Can anyone give me a hint on what to search for?
I picked up mybikeradartraffic to use with the RTL515 that's inbound. Made me curious what other apps might be fun/useful to play with.
Old 08-03-20, 11:34 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
The Ridewithgps app is useful (if you use that site).

There's also the grouteloader app that does the same and a few other things. That app is available as a widget (widgets are apps that can be used while recording a ride).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-03-20 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-03-20, 01:55 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
There a lot of different apps, many are training oriented, so pick and choose. I tried the My Edge alternative dashboard, found it mediocre as the speed display was not keeping up with the digital version, as well only a few of the fields could be customized. I do use the TrailForks and RWGPS apps frequently, they work well.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-03-20, 02:23 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Oh. I thought the RWGPS app was something for my cell phone. So that's an IQ app that installs on the 830 itself? I do use RWGPS for my typical ride planning, so maybe that would be useful.

And widgets? Hmm. I should look into that too. Sounds interesting. Although at this point, I confess that there are times I wish I had a 530 instead of the 830. Sometimes I have trouble getting the screen to respond to a swipe. Maybe it's the TGSP I put on it, I dunno.

Better yet, I wish the 830 had both the buttons AND the touchscreen!

Last edited by speedlever; 08-03-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 02:48 PM
njkayaker

The RWGPS IQ app lets you download your pinned and recent routes. The RWGPS app is something else.

Widgets are supposed to be things that are useful when riding.

There is no widget version of the RWGPS app.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-03-20, 07:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
The rwgps app is great. I used it in France when they did a last-minute change of the route I was going to ride.
Old 08-03-20, 08:45 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here are a few I thought I would check out:
varia tail light field
my bike traffic
rwgps
varia radar battery
weather radar widget
Old 08-04-20, 09:30 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Another vote for the RWGPS app here. Works great! Some of the dashboard apps are nice, depending on how much information you want on a screen.

I'm checking out one called Simply Sun Time. It let's you set the backlight to be always on a specified number of minutes after sunset.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 08-04-20, 11:33 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I got to put the RWGPS app to work today. I looked at my variety of rides I have setup on RWGPS (on my PC) and decided on a 55 miler for today. I mistakenly thought I already had that one loaded on my 830. So when I started the 830 and tried to load the ride, it wasn't in the saved courses on the unit. OK, no sweat, I'll pull out the cell phone and move it over.

I cranked up the cell phone and tried to move the course, but got an https failure. Hmm. Noticed I was on mobile data, so since I was still near the house, put the cell phone on my home wifi, and then was able to load the route for today into the 830.

Any idea why I couldn't do that over mobile data on the cell phone?
Old 08-04-20, 02:16 PM
njkayaker

It works over cell.

I have seen issues with a weak signal.
Old 08-04-20, 02:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by speedlever
I got to put the RWGPS app to work today. I looked at my variety of rides I have setup on RWGPS (on my PC) and decided on a 55 miler for today. I mistakenly thought I already had that one loaded on my 830. So when I started the 830 and tried to load the ride, it wasn't in the saved courses on the unit. OK, no sweat, I'll pull out the cell phone and move it over.

I cranked up the cell phone and tried to move the course, but got an https failure. Hmm. Noticed I was on mobile data, so since I was still near the house, put the cell phone on my home wifi, and then was able to load the route for today into the 830.

Any idea why I couldn't do that over mobile data on the cell phone?
The RWGPS iQ app on the device only lists pinned and recently edited routes, it does not list all your saved routes. There are some sort methods on the website RWGPS site that gives you some control over the sort order. I sometimes will edit a route, or routes, to force them to the top of the list and be viewable from the iQ app. There’s also an iQ app called RouteCourse that I think lists all your RWGPS courses.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-04-20, 03:16 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It works over cell.

I have seen issues with a weak signal.
Makes me wonder if I have a setting somewhere that is causing it to not connect over mobile data.

I tried to connect over mobile data again and get the HTTP error 0. Whatever that means.

Last edited by speedlever; 08-04-20 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 03:18 PM
njkayaker

The easiest way to use the RWGPS app is to pin the routes you are interested in. Note that you can bin routes that aren’t yours.

The RWGPS app shows the latest 10 pinned or most-recent routes. The grouteloader app shows 15.

I think RouteCourse uses yet another website (and you have to pay to do anything useful).
Old 08-04-20, 03:39 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The easiest way to use the RWGPS app is to pin the routes you are interested in. Note that you can bin routes that aren’t yours.

The RWGPS app shows the latest 10 pinned or most-recent routes. The grouteloader app shows 15.

I think RouteCourse uses yet another website (and you have to pay to do anything useful).
I have something out of sorts somewhere here. A few minutes ago, I tried to open pinned routes (rwgps IQ) on the 830 (while the phone was on mobile data) and got the http error 0 when not on wifi. If I'm (the phone) on wifi, the data opens fine. I think there's something basic that I've overlooked.

This morning I simply wanted to load a route I'd planned and rode prior to getting the 830 and forgot I hadn't moved that route over to the new files folder. On mobile data, I couldn't get the route, but on wifi, no problem.

Last edited by speedlever; 08-04-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 03:47 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The RWGPS iQ app on the device only lists pinned and recently edited routes, it does not list all your saved routes. There are some sort methods on the website RWGPS site that gives you some control over the sort order. I sometimes will edit a route, or routes, to force them to the top of the list and be viewable from the iQ app. There’s also an iQ app called RouteCourse that I think lists all your RWGPS courses.
Thanks for that tip about Routecourse. I'll try it out.
Old 08-04-20, 04:41 PM
njkayaker

I have something out of sorts somewhere here. A few minutes ago, I tried to open pinned routes (rwgps IQ) on the 830 (while the phone was on mobile data) and got the http error 0 when not on wifi. If I'm (the phone) on wifi, the data opens fine. I think there's something basic that I've overlooked.
Try turning off WiFi on the device.

I think the devices can get confused about what to use of there's any connectivity to more than one thing.

I got the 0 error (my internet is out).

I disabled the wifi and it worked on my 1030. I just tried it.

Keep in mind that you issue isn't with the RWGPS app (the apps all use the same connection stuff provided by Garmin).

Thanks for that tip about Routecourse. I'll try it out.
Viewing all of your routes (unless you have very few) is going to be slow.
​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-04-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 05:22 PM
Steve B.

And make sure that the Connect Mobile app is running. I’ve made this mistake, having on occasion forced closed running apps on my iPhone.
Old 08-05-20, 06:49 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think I've discovered the issue with mobile data. I got a new phone a few months ago and retired the old phone (Oneplus 3, which still works great). I pulled the sim from the OP3 and put it in the new phone.

TMO recently had a promo for a free line so I picked up on that and when I got the new sim card, I put that in my old OP3 and carry the OP3 with me on my rides. I just now discovered when I disable wifi, the mobile data signal strength indicator pops up an exclamation point... which is telling me the data plan doesn't work on the device. So I'm in contact with TMO tech support to see if I can get that resolved.

The exclamation point was so subtle I didn't notice it until just now.

While I wait for TMO support to sort it out, I switched over to my 2ndary Sim (AT&T) and everything worked as expected.

Sorry about that. False alarm!

Edit: took a few hours but TMO got it sorted out. Seems there was a problem with the line on their end. Go figure.

Last edited by speedlever; 08-05-20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-05-20, 11:31 AM
njkayaker

Duuude!