Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What to replace old Trek 800 Sport?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 03:28 AM
kld182

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a new bike. I have an old Trek 800 Sport. It is heavy and needs more work put into it than it's worth, so it's time to replace it. I like the geometry of the bike (it's comfortable for me) but I don't want something with quite such thick tires. I'm thinking most hybrids now have similar geometry to this bike. Can you suggest anything? I like the look of the Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus/Sirrus X, and Cannondale Quick line. I will use the bike primarily on paved roads/trails and sometimes on dirt/fine gravel groomed trails. Would the above mentioned bikes handle packed dirt/small gravel OK? Maybe with a different tire? I don't have any plans to do mountain biking.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-10-20, 05:23 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Yes, those hybrids will probably feel somewhat similar to your Trek. Others to consider are the Giant Escape (another aluminum-framed "fitness hybrid" like the rest in your list) and the Jamis Coda, a steel-framed "fitness hybrid" that may provide the best ride due to its steel frame. The "current situation" notwithstanding, test-riding different bikes will be the best way to determine what fits you the best. Each of these is similar in concept, but different brands will tend to fit a little differently. Plus, you might like the colors of one better than another, etc. The components are all generally pretty similar at similar price points, so I recommend you shop based on personal fit and aesthetics like color and style (and which local bike shop gives you the best feeling).