Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking at cheap used road bikes - which one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 06:06 PM
foni202

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have started riding to work recently, and although my beach cruiser with its rusty chain can handle the ~30 minute ride, it is of course not the ideal bike for it. So I've been looking to get a more suitable bike, specifically a road bike. However my budget isn't much - $400 at max, so I've been looking at some used road bikes on places like Gumtree and eBay.

I've already gone to inspect a couple of bikes, however as I have no real knowledge it usually just ends up with me looking at the bike and thinking 'yup, that's a bike'. In short, I have no idea what makes a good bike and what would be good value for me.

There are currently 4 bikes which I'm looking at, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to which would be best for my use? I'll be mainly using it for that aforementioned 30 minute commute, as well as riding to shops/around the neighbourhood, etc. Not looking at racing/touring/group rides or any of the more serious stuff.

This first one, I've inspected in person and it looked very new and well-maintained.

2012 Cell Swift:
Price: $400
* Aluminium 7005 Alloy tube 59cm frame

* Carbon Forks
* Shimano (4500) Tiagra Groupset 18
Speed gears
* Shimano Tiagra brakes
* FSA Stem & Handlebars
* Velo seat and forged alloy stem
* Continental Snakeskin Tyres
The buyer was willing to go down to $400.

Then, there's this one:
Avanti Retro Road Bike:
Price: $400
Frame Size - 54cm (height 175cm-185cm)
Shifters - Shimano RSX
Brakes - Shimano RSX
Front and Rear Derailleur - Shimano RX100
Seatpost - Velo Carbon Saddle
Tyres - Continental Grand Prix 4000
Pedals - Shimano Ultegra Cleats

The last two bikes are a Fuji Sportif for $350 (down from $430), and a Trek 1000 for $300 (down from $380) - I had a look at the Trek and it looked to be in good enough shape; the owner said it was about 12 years old.
Unfortunately the sellers for these two bikes didn't list any of the specs. I know it's not much to go off but maybe if anyone has had any experience with these brands in general?

For reference - I am 6' and based in Sydney, Australia.

Those are the main 4 I'm looking at currently. I have been trying to look up the various parts and how good they are etc., but it's quite difficult to get a good picture overall, so I was hoping someone may be able to at least give me a rough overview of the quality of these bikes. It would really be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by foni202; 08-10-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 06:14 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Where are you? Your profile doesn't say much.
the biggest problem I see is that you listed two disparate bike sizes. It's going to be quite a rare individual who is as comfortable on a 59 cm frame as they are on a 54. Do not buy a bike that doesn't fit you.

There are calculators online that can walk you through measurements to take on your body to give you a range of sizes that should work for your proportions. Do that first, then see which bikes are available in that size.

It's been said before here, but a bike that doesn't fit is no bargain at any price.
Old 08-10-20, 06:17 PM
foni202

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in Sydney, Australia. I am about 6 ft (~ 183cm). It looks like a 58 - 60cm frame would suit me best, so you have a good point there! Thanks.
Old 08-10-20, 06:45 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

I'd be partial to the Trek 1000. At least in the US, there's a website that can help you identify the year by bike color (usually capped at 2 colors per model) from there, you can look up components. I'm thinking that the Trek might be equipped with a higher tier of components vs. The Fuji or the Cell.
Old 08-10-20, 07:14 PM
foni202

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'd be partial to the Trek 1000. At least in the US, there's a website that can help you identify the year by bike color (usually capped at 2 colors per model) from there, you can look up components. I'm thinking that the Trek might be equipped with a higher tier of components vs. The Fuji or the Cell.
Thanks Sam, good idea. I can't post links but I assume Vintage-Trek . com is the site you're talking about? Unfortunately the one photo of the bike in the listing isn't good enough to get a good idea of the colours so I've asked the seller specifically. I will update if I can find some components.

So, you're saying that a Trek is more likely to have good components than the Cell or the Fuji? And even if the Cell is a newer bike, that may not matter so much in this case?
Old 08-11-20, 03:57 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by foni202
Thanks Sam, good idea. I can't post links but I assume Vintage-Trek . com is the site you're talking about? Unfortunately the one photo of the bike in the listing isn't good enough to get a good idea of the colours so I've asked the seller specifically. I will update if I can find some components.

So, you're saying that a Trek is more likely to have good components than the Cell or the Fuji? And even if the Cell is a newer bike, that may not matter so much in this case?
I thought so, then I looked at all of them closer. The Cell looks to be a good value at first blush. All of the bikes you listed are using Shimano's two lower named groups. Since Shimano still refines their lower groups and improves them, a more recent Tiagra group might be a few grams lighter than a 12 year old group.
I'd be curious how the Cell comes in at its price.
Old 08-11-20, 05:15 PM
foni202

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know. I think I will go with the Cell as well - will pick it up tonight!

Thanks a lot for your help, Sam! Very much appreciated.
Old 08-11-20, 05:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Get your 6 more posts in... (5 a day), so you can start posting photos and links.

Is this your Swift?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rose...12-/1254320993

It looks like a pretty nice bike, and not bad for a size.

I tend for a little more modern components, and that checks quite a few of the boxes.
Old 08-11-20, 05:32 PM
foni202

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it would definitely help to post links!

But yes that's the one - good find! Thanks for posting it. I'm very keen to take it home and try it out - first time on a road bike so will be interesting.