Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I Join The Rapha Club?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-16-20, 08:24 AM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Hey all. Debating whether or not I should join the Rapha club house in my local city. I’m from NY but just moved to the NYC area. I’d like to meet a bit more people. I know there is also the NYCC which seems legit as well. I’m not sure what to get on with and suck up wheels but for now I’m riding solo.

Wanted to know if anyone recommends joining and if you are on it what your experience and thoughts are.
Old 01-16-20, 08:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 01-16-20, 08:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The RCC price just went down, right? Is it at $100 or so now? If so, that's not bad if you're going to treat it like a club with club dues (and you like the brand). Do they have a way for prospective members to feel it out?

For people that don't have a shop/meet-up locally, I don't see what the membership fee is good for, other than allowing you to purchase exclusive gear - not worthwhile (pretty lame, actually, IMO).

As for NYCC, I never rode with them while I was there, but I know others that have been members for a long time. Seems like it's well big enough to have something for everyone, and I'm pretty sure that there are some non-committal ways to feel out the various rides to see if it's a good fit.
Old 01-16-20, 08:58 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Not for me. Your sensibilities may be different from mine.
Old 01-16-20, 07:22 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
go join one their their freelancer rides, see if you'll fit in with them.
Old 01-16-20, 08:17 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I’d do it in a nano second if I didn’t live 35 Los Angeles miles from a Rapha shop. The membership is cheap, many benefits, awesome group rides for every level, and half price coffee everyday.
Old 01-16-20, 11:05 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Don't forget about the insurance benefits!
Old 01-17-20, 12:34 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yeah there are many benefits besides just RCC Kit. If you live where you can take advantage of them then I would.
Old 01-19-20, 11:08 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Hey all. Debating whether or not I should join the Rapha club house in my local city. I’m from NY but just moved to the NYC area. I’d like to meet a bit more people. I know there is also the NYCC which seems legit as well. I’m not sure what to get on with and suck up wheels but for now I’m riding solo.

Wanted to know if anyone recommends joining and if you are on it what your experience and thoughts are.
yes.
Offer fun and frolic. Nyc riding is great.
Old 01-19-20, 02:36 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Katie Kookaburra is a quite sensible and modest Manchester rider who chronciles her stuff on youtube. Not really a youtube person, though I do confess to watching animal rescues regularly, as they make me happy. Anyhoo, here is a quick video of Katie discussing why she never, ever wanted to join the Manchester Rapha Club. And then, she did.
Old 01-19-20, 11:40 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Painful to watch. Strangers joining clicks that are thousands of miles away are of no interest to me, now as for all that fab gear...
Old 01-20-20, 04:40 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Yeah there are many benefits besides just RCC Kit. If you live where you can take advantage of them then I would.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. They're down in SOHO so that's not to far from where I'm at. I thought I can chill in the store get coffee and chop it up with some of the locals. Maybe even jump on the rides as well. I see them out there when I'm doing my own solo rides. Seems cool and stuff.
Likes For illjustride:
Old 01-21-20, 07:26 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Just looked up the RcC rides in LA look pretty cool. We don’t have one in our area but I’m a member of both local clubs where I live. As someone who used to ride by myself 98% of the time when I lived in Shenandoah County VA (and enjoyed it), I can say that I really like these clubs.

in my case, I really don’t socialize outside my spouse and son, so the 3 club rides per week that I generally attend are great for me. I can get a great work out if I pull a bit longer, and I like the smaller batch of us that go for coffee afterwards. It’s been really good for me as a person and rider. The additional insurance is wonderful and we have a few good corporate sponsors so discounts on running shoes, power meters and such.

i definitely recommend club riding once you find the right group.
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-21-20, 11:40 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I've long been a fan of Rapha jerseys and bibs. I joined the RCC because of the very inexpensive rate for bike rentals out of their various clubhouses. In particular, I rent the bikes when I'm in Manhattan. A few days' rental in the Big Apple over a couple of visits more than made up for the original cost of club membership which, as noted above, has now been cut in half (although the cost of a cappuccino has gone from zero to half price). And the rental bikes are high end Canyons.

As it turns out, I also enjoy some of the club rides in Los Angeles, where I live. There are lots of rides, at various degrees of difficulty. (It doesn’t hurt that the city offers RCC members and every other cyclist a ginormous number of hilly and mountainous routes to climb, a seacoast to follow and miles of somewhat safe and reasonably flat urban bike lanes.) And the clubhouses - which are primarily the Rapha shops - are a welcoming environment, with coffee bars, cycling related magazines and books, large screen TVs continuously screening bike races, and all the items sold under the Rapha label your heart could desire.

So for me the RCC, at least as I’ve experienced it on two coasts, is worth joining.

Last edited by icyclist; 01-22-20 at 12:55 AM.
Likes For icyclist:
Old 01-21-20, 01:36 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
I've long been a fan of Rapha jerseys and bibs. I joined the RCC because of the very inexpensive rate for bike rentals out of their various clubhouses. In particular, I rent the bikes when I'm in Manhattan. A few days's rental in the Big Apple over a couple of visits more than made up for the original cost of club membership which, as noted above, has now been cut in half (although the cost of a cappuccino has gone from zero to half price). And the rental bikes are high end Canyons.

As it turns out, I also enjoy some of the club rides in Los Angeles, where I live. There are lots of rides, at various degrees of difficulty. (It doesn’t hurt that the city offers RCC members and every other cyclist a ginormous number of hilly and mountainous routes to climb, a seacoast to follow and miles of somewhat safe and reasonably flat urban bike lanes.) And the clubhouses - which are primarily the Rapha shops - are a welcoming environment, with coffee bars, cycling related magazines and books, large screen TVs continuously screening bike races, and all the items sold under the Rapha label your heart could desire.

So for me the RCC, at least as I’ve experienced it on two coasts, is worth joining.
This is the reason why I'm planning to join the RCC. I can't really do club rides for now but rentals would come in pretty handy.
Old 01-21-20, 02:18 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
This is the reason why I'm planning to join the RCC. I can't really do club rides for now but rentals would come in pretty handy.
Keep in mind there are not many bikes in the three sizes and rentals are good for a maximum of three consecutive days.
Old 01-21-20, 02:21 PM
rower2cyclist

Keep in mind there are not many bikes in the three sizes and rentals are good for a maximum of three consecutive days.
Thanks for the heads up. Actually that could be an issue since I generally ride the largest size (192cm guy here). But maybe reserving in advance helps?
Old 01-21-20, 03:32 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Thanks for the heads up. Actually that could be an issue since I generally ride the largest size (192cm guy here). But maybe reserving in advance helps?
Yes. Join and you’ll be able to see what’s rented when, and see it months in advance. Demand is high. Or message privately and I’ll send you a screen shot of what the rental calendar looks like before you decide to join the club.
Old 01-21-20, 06:21 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Sounds like a great club I’ll say that!
Old 01-23-20, 10:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
know there is also the NYCC which seems legit as well.
Definitely, check them out.
Old 01-23-20, 02:18 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Don't forget about the insurance benefits!
Yes, but what insurance benefits are those?
Old 01-24-20, 10:18 AM
rower2cyclist

Yes. Join and you’ll be able to see what’s rented when, and see it months in advance. Demand is high. Or message privately and I’ll send you a screen shot of what the rental calendar looks like before you decide to join the club.
Awesome much appreciated!