Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Gazelle Miss Grace?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Gazelle Miss Grace?

Old 07-26-20, 08:00 PM
bonjourpanda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Gazelle Miss Grace?

Does anyone ride a Gazelle Miss Grace (non electric?) I'm trying to find out what its max weight capacity is and how sturdy it feels. The frame is aluminium and it's described as a utility bike.
Old 07-28-20, 06:52 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
It's a reasonably common utility bike here in the Netherlands. A friend of mine rides one and I sometimes see them in the city being ridden by moms and school girls, the latter often carrying friends on the front.

How heavy a load do you want to carry?
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-28-20, 09:46 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Being able to carry the weight of a full grown man sounds great.

Realistically I'd like to be able to carry at least 10-20kg of groceries (cat litter is 10kg + 3kg box of fruit/potatoes + milk), maybe a Christmas tree on the back when it's Christmas.
Old 07-28-20, 08:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Visited the home office in 88 .. lovely location just east of a Park.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-gb/models/miss-grace

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-28-20 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-29-20, 09:07 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My bike need is not immediate. I likely won't be getting one until next year, I'm investigating options.

I've seen teenage girls in the Netherlands riding with friends on the front or back, some of them must be riding the Miss Grace. That's actually why I'm interested in one: I'm a little under 5'2 and many Dutch upright bikes feel large on me. I was looking at the Heavy Duty and the Miss Grace, and I like the colours Miss Grace comes in. And I know it's kinda cheesy, but I like the little badge on it that says sparkly things. It has a rear coaster brake as well, which I like so I have one hand free for signalling or eating ice cream.

The other one I was looking at was the Pashley Princess, but it only comes in black or hunter green. It's very appealing though.
Old 07-29-20, 03:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The traditional bikes are a bit different .. the grand father , Opa ___ & grand mother. Oma , have a hundred years of history on them..
Old 07-29-20, 08:15 PM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, but the omafietsen tend to come in black, and I want a lovely colour.

However there's the Gazelle classic - is this an example of an omafiets? I like that it's steel.

https://flyingdutchman.bike/product/gazelle-classic/
Old 07-30-20, 10:55 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bonjourpanda
That's actually why I'm interested in one: I'm a little under 5'2 and many Dutch upright bikes feel large on me.
as i understand that miss grace has 28" wheels ( 635 iso).
that wheel size is probably not suitable for someone 5'2".
the seat tube looks rather long for said size person.
it doesnt even come with a real rack.

as for the pashey princess, it does have 26" wheel...and the smallest frame size proby small enough to fit u...but the optional rear rack looks weakly.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 07-31-20 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 11:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Yes, but the omafietsen tend to come in black, and I want a lovely colour.

However there's the Gazelle classic - is this an example of an omafiets? I like that it's steel.

https://flyingdutchman.bike/product/gazelle-classic/
did you notice they came in alternate colors?
Old 07-30-20, 02:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

the seat tubes are shorter..

Trek had a bike styled like that a few years ago..
Old 07-30-20, 05:07 PM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm currently in Asia, where I got a small folder for coronavirus. I got a folder so I can pack it up easily when I leave.
However I'm researching the bike I'll use in London. I'll mostly be using it to go 2-4 miles on more or less flat ground. I love the folder, but I suspect I'll need some kind of minimal gearing and bigger tires, because London is pretty flat but not totally flat. I might also cycle in a part of Devon which gently slopes (the route I'd cycle there goes gradually from an elevation of 20ft to 138ft over 2 miles, the bulk of it is through a park with a cycle path). So I'm looking for something that has a full chainguard for weather and some gears, though I actually think 3 is enough.

@fietsbob yes that's why I linked to the Classic. I'd need to fit a front rack on it though because that's where I'd like to put my handbag/valuables.
The Pashley can be fitted with a rear child rack so it's not super flimsy, but I suspect you're right, I would only be able to transport an entire adult. I'm partial to the Pashley, but the Gazelle looks sturdier. I
Old 07-30-20, 09:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bromptons, made in London are very popular, there & around the globe//

their front bag system is the best..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-31-20, 05:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Looks like a fun and versatile bike. The main thing I'd look into is the theft situation in London, as in, would a new bike survive there for very long?
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-01-20, 02:05 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@fietsbob I have a (Taiwanese) folder and I'm specifically looking into a 'regular' bigger wheeled Dutch-style bike rather than another folder. I'm also looking to keep the cost <£1000 and Bromptons are expensive. The Pashley Princess Sovereign is about the upper end of my budget. I'm looking into bikes that will need as little care as possible even in winter and rainy weather, which is why the cheaper Gazelles are appealing. I'm taken by Bobbin bikes, but uncertain about the caliper brakes. But they're pretty popular and affordable.
​​
​​​​​​@gresp15c I'll be bringing the bike in or it will eventually be stolen or dismantled for sure. Lifting the weight up and down stairs isn't an issue for me.
Old 08-01-20, 04:14 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
i actually think a folding bike is better at transporting grocery, due to the small wheel size.

my Dahon boardwalk with a large metal basket in the back can carry a ton of groceries.
and the lower enter of mass, due to small 20" wheel size, means the extra cargo does not effect handling.

my oma has big wheels, so the cargo is very high. you can feel it is no good.

Having a folding bike and a bike like miss grace or oma seems redundant to me.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 08-01-20 at 04:45 AM.
Likes For mtb_addict:
Old 08-01-20, 05:18 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the perspective, MTB Addict . I'm certainly happy carrying groceries here on my folding bike: today I carried home 3 durians, grapes, a box of soy milk and yogurt strapped to my rear rack. I'm happy with my folder, but I can feel the bumpiness when the surface is bumpy/cobbled, and again I'm not sure about the caliper brakes if I'm using it in snow conditions.

But honestly I also like the way a traditional upright bike looks, so I probably will end up getting one anyway.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i actually think a folding bike is better at transporting grocery, due to the small wheel size.

my Dahon boardwalk with a large metal basket in the back can carry a ton of groceries.
and the lower enter of mass, due to small 20" wheel size, means the extra cargo does not effect handling.

my oma has big wheels, so the cargo is very high. you can feel it is no good.

Having a folding bike and a bike like miss grace or oma seems redundant to me.
Old 08-01-20, 05:58 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So ultimately, my desire to get a non-folding bicycle is mostly aesthetic (hence not wanting a black one: my preferences are light blue, à la Brigitte Bardot in And God Created Woman, or red, like the bike I had when I was little), but I will at least need it to be useful for my daily life. That's also why I have a budget of £1000 on it: I don't necessarily need it, but I would very much like one.
Old 08-01-20, 09:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

We shall wait for the report.. post Brexit NL & other EU products will be Imports & have Duty added..

Gazelle, was A part of the TI Reynolds group when I visited , but things have changed in those many years..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-07-20, 05:31 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Have you looked at the Workcycles Gr8? Besides being one of the most comfortable Dutch bikes around it is available in any color combo you can imagine.
My wife is Swedish so her's is:

Workcycles Gr8

That is an older photo from when it was brand new. She has a basket on the front carrier and a crate on the back that she carries stuff in.
Likes For CrankyOne:
Old 08-10-20, 11:27 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
My bike need is not immediate. I likely won't be getting one until next year, I'm investigating options.

I've seen teenage girls in the Netherlands riding with friends on the front or back, some of them must be riding the Miss Grace. That's actually why I'm interested in one: I'm a little under 5'2 and many Dutch upright bikes feel large on me. I was looking at the Heavy Duty and the Miss Grace, and I like the colours Miss Grace comes in. And I know it's kinda cheesy, but I like the little badge on it that says sparkly things. It has a rear coaster brake as well, which I like so I have one hand free for signalling or eating ice cream.
Don't forget Dutch teenage girls don't really care about their bikes, a tradtional rear rack is not a problem, but a front rack will suffer from more than doubling the specified load. It won't just snap but it will wear out and get wobbly that way. But 30 kg should be no problem for a Gazelle front rack if that is the axl mounted and sturdy version. You might want to check Azor, they are more reliable, durable and tend to be more sturdy than modern Gazelles, since they overengineer and hand build like Gazelle used to do. They're roughly in the same price range, but you can basically pick a frame and put on or leave off anything that fits, and have any colour(s) you want. They have the old fashioned style rear racks which will hold an adult Dutch male, front racks are often frame mounted and not to the axle so I guess you have to stay closer to the max load specified. They still do steel too.

But modern Gazelles like the heavy duty or miss grace aren't flimsy or unreliable, they just won't last a 100 years anymore. Nor is the 'classic', which is a typical oma in the ladies version. That's what I don't like about it, the 'classic' hasn't got the classic build quality and is therefore overpriced.
Old 08-10-20, 08:04 PM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CrankyOne and Stadjer, thanks, those bikes seem great. They're on the upper end of what my price range, but it seems worthwhile for a relatively immortal bike that can carry everything.
Old 08-11-20, 10:13 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
@bonjourpanda Worcycles and Azor are somehow related, I don't know how exactly but I believe Workcycles has it's bikes or at least many parts manufactured by the Azor factory. I think the regular way to order an Azor in the Netherlands is to go to one of the bikeshops that has the brand and go through all the options there and the bikeshop handles the rather complicated ordering. Workcycles might do something similar internationally and without a physical shop.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 08-18-20, 02:32 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
as i understand that miss grace has 28" wheels ( 635 iso).
that wheel size is probably not suitable for someone 5'2".
the seat tube looks rather long for said size person.
it doesnt even come with a real rack.

as for the pashey princess, it does have 26" wheel...and the smallest frame size proby small enough to fit u...but the optional rear rack looks weakly.
I would be very surprised if it uses the archaic 700B size. On their website I see the ETRTO 50-622 size which is standard 700C.