Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1976 Colnago Super

Old 08-12-20, 09:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
^^^^
...fork looks bent.
That is a fork I would drop and place in an alignment jig. Test, dont guess, the first 10-15cm below the crown should be equal, no displacement.
Old 08-12-20, 12:15 PM
chevalier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love it. It’s a beauty.
Old 08-15-20, 04:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26244 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
That is a fork I would drop and place in an alignment jig. Test, dont guess, the first 10-15cm below the crown should be equal, no displacement.
...I can assure you I would not have repainted it without first disassembling the bicycle and checking the alignment of both fork and frame.
A lot of the bent forks you see in pictures on teh Biekforooms are the result off photo distortion and the way the fork is turned at time of photo, rather than any misalignment.

And I have a Var fork jig, so I'm not just blowing smoke.
Old 08-15-20, 05:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26244 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by chevalier
Love it. It’s a beauty.
...it came with the exact same seat stay foil decal that ends up looking beat and a little cheesy after a couple of years.
This is with both seat stay decals replaced with the older style cutout lettering that H, Lloyd sells.

The H Lloyd headbadge decal is also a little larger and showier than the 1980 version.

Otherwise, I tried to stick with fading in some marine blue into the original paint work, after addressing the rust issues.
I was pleased with the result, and it is kind of a nice riding bike. It's right up there in the hierarchy of good ones.
Old 08-16-20, 02:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
...I can assure you I would not have repainted it without first disassembling the bicycle and checking the alignment of both fork and frame.
A lot of the bent forks you see in pictures on teh Biekforooms are the result off photo distortion and the way the fork is turned at time of photo, rather than any misalignment.

And I have a Var fork jig, so I'm not just blowing smoke.
Very good. I like my VAR fork jig very much. they go for all values of prices, I got lucky 10 years ago.