Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain keeps rubbing on inside derailleur despite adjustments

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 02:42 PM
Pistol23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Specailized Allez Elite road bike with a triple on the front and nine on the back (it's about 10 years old and has been a great bike), but lately the chain keeps rubbing on the inside derailleur. I have had a tune up at the local bike shop and when I get it back the chain is right in the middle of the derailleur and not rubbing. Within a few miles of riding it is rubbing on the inside again. I have used the trim to try and adjust. I took it back to the bike shop and they adjusted the chain back into the middle and when on their rack it performs well and appears adjusted. Again, within a few miles of riding the chain is back rubbing on the inside of the derailleur. They adjusted it again and the problem persisted. I am not sure why the chain keeps moving to the inside but it is annoying to ride with the rubbing noise announcing my arrival to other bikes or walkers on the bike path I use. I typically ride on the middle ring up front for about 90 percent of my riding and use gears 5-9 on the back for about 90 percent.

Any ideas? Getting frustrated.
Old 08-07-20, 03:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I would check the ends of the cable casing in case it is fraying
Old 08-07-20, 03:16 PM
Pistol23

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about that and actually had a new cable put on with the tune up so it's only a couple weeks old. Thank you.
Old 08-07-20, 03:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
I don't think the chain is moving, it's the derailleur.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-07-20, 04:10 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistol23
I have a Specailized Allez Elite road bike with a triple on the front and nine on the back (it's about 10 years old and has been a great bike), but lately the chain keeps rubbing on the inside derailleur. I have had a tune up at the local bike shop and when I get it back the chain is right in the middle of the derailleur and not rubbing. Within a few miles of riding it is rubbing on the inside again. I have used the trim to try and adjust. I took it back to the bike shop and they adjusted the chain back into the middle and when on their rack it performs well and appears adjusted. Again, within a few miles of riding the chain is back rubbing on the inside of the derailleur. They adjusted it again and the problem persisted. I am not sure why the chain keeps moving to the inside but it is annoying to ride with the rubbing noise announcing my arrival to other bikes or walkers on the bike path I use. I typically ride on the middle ring up front for about 90 percent of my riding and use gears 5-9 on the back for about 90 percent.

Any ideas? Getting frustrated.
Which derailleur is it rubbing the inside of? If it's the front, then all you need to do is trim shift. If it's the rear, check your jockey wheels and make sure they are not worn. My wife just had a similar problem where her rear derailleur was letting the chain slide off the tensioner pulley and rub the cage. I replaced the pulley wheel and the problem went away and stayed away.

If it's not the pulley wheels, then there could be precession in your rear axle/freehub/cassette. To diagnose, make sure the back wheel is properly installed, put the bike on a bike stand, and crank the pedals to get the back wheel spinning very fast in the normal travel direction. Look closely to see if the cassette is sort of rocking up and down relative to the frame. That movement is a sign that your rear hub needs to be overhauled: repack the bearings and consider replacing the freehub.

You might also check the derailleur hanger to make sure it isn't bent. After checking the rear hub, double-check the cable tension and indexing.
Old 08-07-20, 04:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I would check the ends of the cable casing in case it is fraying
I am not challenging your suggestion but how would the cable being frayed cause this? Is it if the fraying is before the cable being clamped?
Old 08-07-20, 05:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I am not challenging your suggestion but how would the cable being frayed cause this? Is it if the fraying is before the cable being clamped?
Not the cable - he said the "cable casing." He's taking about the housing effectively getting shorter as the end falls apart, making the cable less taut.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-07-20, 08:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Not the cable - he said the "cable casing." He's taking about the housing effectively getting shorter as the end falls apart, making the cable less taut.
oops, missed that. makes a lot of sense now.
Old 08-07-20, 08:47 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
oops, missed that. makes a lot of sense now.
Exactly. I did not mention the cable at all
Old 08-07-20, 10:03 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
any lateral movement in crank and or BB?
Old 08-10-20, 03:32 PM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Slipping or Stripped threads on the adjusting screws (maybe use some thread-locker), loose front derailleur clamp, general wear on the derailleur pivot points...that's all I got...
10 years old, but how many miles?

Last edited by AndrewJB; 08-11-20 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 10:39 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Slipping rear axle quick release under load causing the cassette to go crooked.